PWK? (Read 709 times)
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Re: PWK?
Reply #75 - 12/18/21 at 18:03:07

And more measurements

8DFB4026-AB13-44FE-8358-976C82B82238.jpeg

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #76 - 12/18/21 at 18:06:41

I guess based on math, the jet has clearance of about eight or 9 mm inside of the bowl. Given the thickness of the material at the bottom of the bowl, I measured the threaded portion. So maybe it’s the same thickness at the bottom. I’m also going to verify what notch i am on, on the needle in the morning.

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #77 - 12/18/21 at 18:28:39

OK more like four or 5 mm between the tip of the jet and the bottom of the bowl.

465A0AF4-3817-4082-A6B4-B44A4FF85D32.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #78 - 12/18/21 at 18:32:33

OK last one for the night

08F436BC-0933-4113-8182-6B2A8CEC11C5.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #79 - 12/19/21 at 14:54:36

DBM,
First off I must say you are a Jedi master.
Update:
Installed a 35 pilot/142 main, she’s pretty much purring like a kitten. I feel like it could use a little more on the top end but it’s almost feeling like I gained another gear. Off of idle and all through the mid range is perfect. There may be occasional backfire if I’m Getting after it and going through the gears. A very slight pop from 3rd to 4th. Also put needle jet on fourth groove(rich)…

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #80 - 12/20/21 at 11:16:32

That's great Dude.  Glad you got it dialed.

I don't wanna sound like a broken record, but I still think you should switch to a shorter main jet.  This is a sketch of the PWK drain plug.  The cavity in the plug is 13mm deep.  The distance between the top of the plug and the flange face is 9mm.  That means the bottom of the cavity is only 4mm below the sealing surface on the bottom of the float bowl.

PWK_Drain_Plug_Cavity.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 12/20/21 at 11:20:29

Your picture shows your main jet sticking out of the float bowl about 3 or 4mm.  DANGER!

The picture of your drain plug shows a gap between the plug flange and the sealing surface on the bottom of the bowl.  DANGER!

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #82 - 12/20/21 at 11:35:07

I recall a member named Dan Stafford reporting he had purchased a PWK.  Do I have that messed up?  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #83 - 12/20/21 at 12:23:19

Hey boss, this is Dan (The Dude) sorry I change my profile name I thought I was weird but being the only one with my name out there lol. AnyWho, do you think that might be what is causing my top end lean? Lord knows I’m gonna have enough jets for everybody lol, I have three sets at the house, and I’m gonna order what you were talking about.

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #84 - 12/20/21 at 12:29:15

Also DBm, Sorry I’m driving, why would they send a jet that was in it like that if it wasn’t gonna work? I know ,why don’t I just get out the hacksaw and take about an eighth off of it lol .. just kidding

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #85 - 12/20/21 at 13:42:53

Why would "they" send a knock off with the parts on mine?  Slide plating all wonky, a cracked float, crappy bowl sealing surface...  it's a $30 carburetor!  You get what you pay for.  So I replace a few parts.  Still ahead financially with this in the long run.

You shouldn't have an extended jet with that drain cap.  My jet is well inside the bowl , not protruding out.  Makes sense it would start to starve at full throttle with only 4 mm clearance.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #86 - 12/21/21 at 16:52:36

Actually Sneezy, there’s probably only 1mm clearance at best, but more likely that the floor of the plug cavity is actually touching the main jet.  If you look close at the Dude’s picture, you can see a gap between the plug and the bowl.

Plug_Gap_Long_Jet.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #87 - 12/21/21 at 16:56:34

Dude, there shouldn’t be a gap when the plug is installed.  Don’t try to tighten the plug to close up your gap.  You will break something.  It sure looks like your plug is hitting the main jet.  That of course prevents fuel from getting to the jet.

In post #83 you asked:  “AnyWho, do you think that might be what is causing my top end lean?”

Yes, of course.  The plug is obstructing the jet.  Get shorter jets like I suggested.  Get them in the range of #138 to #148 so you can tune it.

In post #84 you asked: “why would they send a jet that was in it like that if it wasn’t gonna work?”

Who is “they”?  You are the one that ordered the jets.  We’ve been saying all along that your PWK is different.  It has a removeable needle jet.  That’s a kinda cool upgrade but it also necessitates the use of shorter main jets, not standard PWK main jets.  If you order replacement main jets for a PWK you will get regular PWK main jets, but you don’t have a regular PWK.  The removeable needle jet sticks out more than a standard PWK, so you need to use shorter main jets.  The supplier of the knock-off carb delivered it with a shorter main jet, because it needs a shorter main jet.  

Sneezy hit the nail on the head when he said “it's a $30 carburetor!  You get what you pay for.  So I replace a few parts.  Still ahead financially with this in the long run.”

Check your bowl drain plug.  Wouldn’t surprise me if you can see marks on the floor of the plug cavity caused by contact between the plug and jet.

Look in here.  Check for marks caused by the jet.

Drain_Plug_Depth_of_Cavity_13mm.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #88 - 12/21/21 at 16:57:19

This is how your main jet should look when you get the right length.  It shouldn’t stick out of the float bowl.

Main_Jet_Elevation_1mm_Recessed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #89 - 12/21/21 at 16:58:00

This is how your drain plug should look when things are correct.  There shouldn’t be any gap between the flange on the plug and the bottom of the float bowl.

Bowl_Drain_No_Gap.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PWK?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.