Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire Size for replacement or repair (Read 51 times)
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tire Size for replacement or repair
06/04/22 at 08:07:24

Sorry, I tried the search function but couldnt find what I was looking for. According to the sticker on the side of my bike it takes 100/90-19M/C 57 H and 140/80-15-M/C 67H.

I ran over a nail on my back tire and while the tread is still good, the tires are on the older side now (I think the tire says 2007). Should I just replace the whole tire, just the tube and get the tread patched (small hole)?. Im having trouble finding the exact number match, is there other options available that fit stock?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tire Size for replacement or repair
Reply #1 - 06/04/22 at 14:15:11

Okay,, I'm a bit of a smartass, so, here's your question

Should I just replace the whole tire,?

Why do that? Just replace the part with the hole in It!

Now, for the real answer.

It's gonna cost to get the tire fixed. It's Not cheap. It's kinda old, so, what does the tread look like? Is that tire Worth paying someone to get off the rim and back on? At that age, mehh,, probably not. I'd probably get a tire and pull yours off, take the whole thing, tire,new tube,probably a fresh rim liner,maaaybe even some balancing beads,to the local shop and start over. New rubber, in and out.
Before I did anything I'd make calls around and get quotes. Ask questions about

If you get the tire, what are you goin to charge me?
If I get the tire, what is it goin to cost to mount it?
Cover your bases,ask the questions..
I'm not saying I gave you all the questions.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/04/22 at 19:07:05

The photos in my tire thread are gone - but most of the text is still valid.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

If you want a rear tire very similar in size to the odd sized 140/80-15, then go with a 130/90-15....it is almost exactly the same size as the original.  (My personal choice).

If you want a big beefy tire that is larger and heavier....then a 140/90-15 will fit.  (Guys who like the taller gearing and better straight line stability like this one).

Word on the street is to replace any tire that is more than 5 years old - however I have ridden them a bit longer than that without issue.  I did ride a bike with 13 year old tires and they liked to slide around corners! Shocked

If you only ride a couple thousand miles a year - the Shinko tires will get old about the same time you wear them out (5 years - 10,000 miles).  If you put on a lot of miles a Michelin Commander2 or Commander3 will likely go 20,000 miles - but they are costly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/07/22 at 04:16:24

Outside the tires themselves what do. I need to purchase? Tubes, rim protector thing? Is balancing the tires really a thing that needs to be done?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 06/07/22 at 16:21:06

LuckyLuna wrote on 06/07/22 at 04:16:24:
Outside the tires themselves what do. I need to purchase? Tubes, rim protector thing? Is balancing the tires really a thing that needs to be done?

----------

No tube is needed if you are good at changing tires. If you are not, then you might ruin your old tube and a new tube.  You really don't need a new rim strip either. And I don't think you'll notice much difference with balancing on this bike.  

I'm sure others will disagree, but my rear wheel has been out of round for 3 years and I can't tell when I'm riding.  On the other hand, my front wheel is round and I get some mild tire disturbance that balancing won't fix.  I'm fine with it.  These are pretty crude bikes and I'm running pretty inexpensive tires so I can accept small disturbances.  

And I'm normally pretty particular about these things.  I have a very small driveline issue on my 9k lb van and it drives me crazy!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 09:01:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Size for replacement or repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.