PWK? (Read 709 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: PWK?
Reply #30 - 12/05/21 at 00:32:54

Thanks for all the pics Dan.  You got your PWK from the same outfit I got mine from, JFG racing.  I see you have the notch in the hood, but your box doesn't make any mention of "38mm" (like mine & Sneezy's), and you have that "40" etched on the side of your body.

You are right, hookin that cable up is a real tricky job.  Unhookin the throttle grip end makes it a lot easier to juggle the slide end.

I suggest you take a bunch of baseline data and post it.

Remove the main jet and pilot jet, tell us what size they are.

Remove the idle mixture screw.  Measure the fixed air bleed.  It should be about .075".  The shank of a #49 drill bit should go in, but the shank of a 5/64" should not go in.  

This is the main air bleed.

Air_Bleed___075_2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 12/05/21 at 00:38:02

Check your float level.  Mine is about parallel with the gasket surface, just a very slight incline.  Is your about like this?

Float_Level.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 12/05/21 at 00:45:20

Measure your needle jet.  Mine is .111".  A #35 drill bit fits loose, a #34 just fits, and a #33 won't go.  If your needle jet is the same size as mine, then a DGK slide needle works excellent.  The slide needle mine was delivered with worked OK.  The DGK works excellent.

This is the jet in question.

Needle_Jet__111.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 12/05/21 at 01:01:18

You probably want to have a #35 pilot jet in hand (along with #38 & #40).  It is only available in genuine Keihin, the generics only go down to #38.  One thing I found is that the slide needle affects idle mixture.  Even with the #35 pilot jet, idle is a bit rich.  Not bad, but a little fatter than I like.  The DGK slide needle helps with that.  Of course, that's all dependent on the size of the needle jet, if it's larger or smaller than .111", then you will have to figure out which slide needle is appropriate.  There's a good chance that the as-delivered slide needle will work OK.  If it gets to that LMK, I have a bunch of info on the slide needles.

If you reach the limit of patience with that throttle cable, the Barnetts that Lancer sells for the VMs work good (at least on my 2016 LS they work good).

Take heed on the ABS elbow.  See my comments in my other report.  The ABS falls apart.  I switched to PVC.  Hope that holds up better.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #34 - 12/05/21 at 01:59:10

Right on!
I wittry and get those measurements to ya shortly! Drinkin my joe.. Shocked Shocked

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #35 - 12/05/21 at 02:02:47

I also work with PVC regularly, sched 80 pvc waaaay better that brittle ABS

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #36 - 12/05/21 at 21:09:19

Sorry fellas, and ladies as well if you’re listening, I got a leave on a weeklong work trip again tomorrow. Good news is, when I get home my canon filter my rear bearing and my jets it will be in wahoo. I got to ask though what is with all of the pink vent tubing that comes with the 40 mm? I noticed in your picture you have a couple of them capped off? I was out in my shop this morning in my pajamas at 6 o’clock installing the carburetor lol like a kid I couldn’t wait and yes it completely ran like crap.. I think her with her for a little bit but I think it was real Rich…

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #37 - 12/05/21 at 21:41:23

Jetting is everything.  Well, imho...  everything I have read from different motorcycle forums, and experience, this has to be right.  And takes the most trial and error.  On my Kawi I am wrestling with sync'ing the carbs (inline four).  Fun stuff!  More trial and error, but more on a mechanical side.  It boils down to feel with threaded adjusters. I am thinking this single should be a lot simpler.  In theory, anyway! Shocked

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 12/07/21 at 12:04:50

Yep, that sucker comes with hoses all over the place.  It sort of resembles a plate of spaghetti.  I think it's a dirt bike carb.  Keihin refers to it as a "quad vent".  I think all the vents are intended to help keep the engine from filling up with fuel when the vehicle is laying on its side in a mud bog.

You can cap off the nipples on the side.  Like this.  Just use the top nipples.

Cap_Extra_Vents.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 12/07/21 at 12:06:19

The top vent nipples are perfect for the Savage.  You can run the vent hoses up into the frame just like the stock setup.

Vent_Tube_Route.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 12/07/21 at 12:07:23

It makes for a tidy installation.  Looks factory.

Vent_Tube_LH.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 12/07/21 at 12:09:33

The hose off the floatbowl is the overflow.  I just route that down behind the engine.  Make sure it is not over the exhaust pipe or muffler.  You don't want it dumping fuel on the hot exhaust.

Overflow_Tube.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #42 - 12/07/21 at 13:27:36

Good deal, also I wanted to ask you did you buy the long sweeping Street 90 or a regular street 90 even though I’m on the road for work this is what I picked up this far… The long sweep is just about a half inch longer than a regular 90 I believe…

B6645D85-AEB7-4FF1-B260-539A703E2A95.jpeg

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #43 - 12/07/21 at 13:31:27

Also I would be much obliged if you were able to tell me the exact length of your throttle cable? Did you buy it or modify it? I keep looking on Amazon the ones for our particular carburetor are like 70 some inches long nowhere in the neighborhood of 32 to 36”… but I think you said your bike was a 16 mines an ‘01

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #44 - 12/12/21 at 19:48:39

OK, didn’t know if I should start a new post or not however the Pkwy PWK is installed. It came with a 170/55 set up on the Jets. It started and ran but like crap. Mr. Mike, I was wondering about the jet set up I forget what you said. I did the K&N mod like you did… May be a little lean I mean if I get after it and then roll off ,I got some Poppin… feels under powered as well. I’m getting a slight pop at gear change as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 17:56:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PWK?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.