Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
PWK? (Read 709 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: PWK?
Reply #105 - 06/04/22 at 13:37:34

Time for me to chime back in on the PWK stories.  As some of you will remember, when I bought a PWK 40 from Ebay, I won the crappy carb lotto and got one in very sketchy shape.  DBM and I had a lot of messaging back and forth (along with some parts), and I ordered some jet selections from Jets R US and got another rebuild kit to replace a cracked float.  At this stage of my build, the carb and all the bits ended up on a shelf in a box to await the assembly of my engine.

The other day while sipping on some cold beverages, the unpleasantness of my PWK experiences drifted back to the front of my mind.  And I remembered how inexpensive these carbs are.  Hard to complain considering the price.  So in my mind it couldn't hurt to try again!  This time I ordered one from JFG Racing (where DBM had gotten a couple) since he had really good luck with them.  In less than a week I had another PWK 40 carb in my hands.  Impressive shipping time!  But...  as a wise man once told me, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.  This is the condition of the box as delivered....

20220604_1305361.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #106 - 06/04/22 at 13:41:06

Nervously I opened the box, hoping that there wasn't any damage to the carb.  I was really surprised to find that the carb was in that box WITHOUT ANY PADDING WHATSOEVER.  It was sitting in the box inside a thin plastic bag.  Sheesh!

20220604_1306481.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #107 - 06/04/22 at 13:43:48

Surprisingly enough I have not found much damage to the carb.  Here is a view from all four sides.  It has markings that were not found on the Ebay carb, including the size above the "PWK" casting.  To me that is a good sign.

20220604_1307471.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #108 - 06/04/22 at 13:46:38

In this view I noticed some damage.  It looks to me like the choke shaft has been bent toward the carb body.  Not really surprised considering the lack of padding during shipment.  I am sure after disassembly I can either replace it with a choke shaft from my other PWK, or straighten this one.  Brass is not hard to work if you are careful.

20220604_1308061.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #109 - 06/04/22 at 13:49:17

It is apparent that the plating on the slide is much better quality than the previous carb.  There are a few small nicks and scratches around the flanges on both ends.  Nothing that can't be easily smoothed out with some fine sandpaper or a jewelers file.

20220604_1308141.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #110 - 06/04/22 at 13:57:25

The slide movement is very smooth like it should be.  The notch is present on the needle housing, unlike my last one.  Another good sign.  After breaking out my caliper, I found another difference between the Ebay carb and the JFG Racing unit.  My crappy quality Ebay carb is 40 mm all the way through, but the JFG Racing carb is 38.5 mm on the intake side, and then tapers out to 40 mm on the cylinder side.

20220604_1308221.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #111 - 06/04/22 at 14:03:52

Closer inspection showed the clear difference on the bore of the carb body.  On the top is the JFG Racing carb, the bottom is the crappy Ebay carb.  You can see that the carb body bore is a smooth transition from the taper to the minor diameter going through the carb on the JFG Racing carb.  The crappy Ebay carb was bored out and left with the transition from machining where it meets the intake taper.  Hmmmm...  Me thinks the Ebay carb was turned into a 40 mm bore using a smaller carb body?

20220604_1357281.jpg

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #112 - 06/04/22 at 14:05:34

Sometimes it just pays to pay a bit more for hardware/parts.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #113 - 06/04/22 at 14:07:00

I still need to do a complete tear down of the JFG Racing carb and measure out all the parts.  So far, The newer purchase from JFG Racing seems like a higher quality PWK to me.  More info to come after I crack this egg open!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #114 - 06/04/22 at 14:53:50

I can't imagine the Heart Clutch you had when you saw THAT!
Not exactly inspiring..
So who was the carrier? It doesn't seem like the timeline would agree with the FedEx truck that was hit Head on by the guy who was getting the head job.
That probably won't be an embarrassing moment for that guy, for more than the rest of his life.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #115 - 06/04/22 at 15:41:26

LANCER wrote on 06/04/22 at 14:05:34:
Sometimes it just pays to pay a bit more for hardware/parts.

Believe it or not these two carbs were very close to the same price!  Sketchy one off Fleabay came from China, the better quality from JFG Racing shipped out of the USA.

JoG - the carrier was UPS.

I will post any feedback on the internals on my build thread once I crack it open.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #116 - 06/05/22 at 07:54:11

Dont kid yourself thinking every single one of them isnt from China.  Just some have passed the QC and some are sold on the cheap.  Nothing is thrown away when you can sell it online easy enough.

Even all the reputable sellers carbs comes from from China, but the QC and sticking with reliable vendors for all the parts makes the difference.

But when a legit PWK costs $200 you can take a few stabs at rejects to see how they do.

WWW   IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #117 - 06/05/22 at 08:17:25

Very aware of the Chinese factor. I was just wondering if I drilled out the needle jet to accommodate a DGK needle would I run into problems.?

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #118 - 06/05/22 at 08:18:19

I am aware this new carb originated in China.  I did open the float bowl and found it was wet with gas!  I'm wondering if JFG filled it with fuel to test the float level?  Wishful thinking...  I will verify the float level regardless when I get it on the bike.  The crappy carb off Fleabay was clean and dry inside.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #119 - 06/05/22 at 21:16:55

"I was just wondering if I drilled out the needle jet to accommodate a DGK needle would I run into problems.?"

My goodness Duderino, please don't do that.  Follow Sneezy's advice.  Put it back to the way you had it.  You said it was runnin good.  Drilling a needle jet will send it to the grave.

Wow Sneezy!  That is one hurtin shipping container.  Both of the carbs I got from JFG Racing were double boxed and brand spankin new.  That thing you got was obviously used (fuel in the bowl).  I might also add that both the 36mm and 40mm were shipped from China.  Looks like maybe all the supply chain issues are catching up with us.  These things are clearly a crap shoot.  Maybe you received a carb that somebody returned.  The price is right.  I think you can make it work.  But sendin you used stuff in a crushed box is pretty low.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:40:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PWK?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.