Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Change my own tire - keep the tube? (Read 109 times)
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Change my own tire - keep the tube?
10/15/21 at 06:54:53

I'm refurbishing an '01 Savage and I'd like to put the new tires on myself.  I'm replacing the existing (I'm assuming they are the old stock tires) with Shinko 712's.

Here's my question.  Since these are spoke rims, do I need to use tubes even though the Shinko's are "tubeless"?  I'm assuming this is true but wanted to confirm with the experts.

As always, thanks for the help!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Change my own tire - keep the tube?
Reply #1 - 10/15/21 at 06:59:36

Yep.  Our rims won't hold air for tubeless.  My son converts his mountain and road bikes to tubeless using this awesome rim tape.  Don't know if anyone has tried the same thing on a motorcycle, though.

Be sure to replace the rim strips when you replace the tires.  It's the thin strip that covers the inside of the spoke nipples.  And a 90 degree offset valve on the rear wheel makes airing up much easier.  Point it toward the brake side, not the pulley side.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #2 - 10/16/21 at 06:02:22

Thanks Tocsik.  I didn't think about the rim strips.  They're 20 years old so probably time to replace!

« Last Edit: 10/16/21 at 07:05:32 by B-Will »  
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 10/17/21 at 12:34:09

I did a tubeless conversion, but I did it when having new rims and spokes installed. Used the Outex kit out of Japan. Works great.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #4 - 10/26/21 at 08:47:33

Update:  So another post on here said something to the effect of, "your first tire change will be a struggle".

You're dang right it was a struggle  Smiley.  After about an hour, I figure out where my technique was lacking and made an adjustment.

I got'r done--new protector strap, tube and tire.  The next battle will be the rear tire.  But, I've honed my technique a bit and so I feel more confident about it.

"If you're grunting and sweating, you're doing it wrong."  That is the absolute truth.  It's a physical job, no doubt.  But when I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, it went much easier.  

"Less strength, more technique" as my jui jitsu coach would say  Grin

Anyhow, thanks again for the help.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 10/26/21 at 11:43:18

Quote:
The next battle will be the rear tire.  But, I've honed my technique a bit and so I feel more confident about it.

I've changed a couple of sets of Shinko 712s on my bike.

The skinny 19" front is easy compared to that fat, stiff, 15" rear. Take your time, don't get frustrated, and be  extra careful not to pinch the tube when you're trying to get the last few inches  of the bead over the rim.

And when your'e done go buy yourself a beer. You'll deserve it. Smiley

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 10/26/21 at 12:53:49

Changing a tire.  A fate worse than death.  My compliments on successfully completing your front tire change out.  Good luck with the rear tire.  You can do it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #7 - 10/27/21 at 07:00:17

I'm saving this little battle for the weekend where I have plenty of time for weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I'll let you all know who wins Smiley

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 10/27/21 at 11:16:08

How did you protect the edges of the rim doing the front wheel?  Are you using tire irons/spoons?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
B-Will

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

East Texas
Reply #9 - 10/27/21 at 12:11:31

I'm using two tire irons I got from Harbor Freight.  They worked pretty good once I figured out the technique.  

For rim protectors, I cut pieces from a gallon milk jug.  They did "meh".  There was no rim damage, but they were a bit hard to use and were trash when I was done.  Actually, they were trash when I started I suppose Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 04:14:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Change my own tire - keep the tube?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.