Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike sputtering on initial throttle (Read 235 times)
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike sputtering on initial throttle
09/30/21 at 22:17:03

alright guys so I just bought my first motorcycle being the s40, and I love it but I am having a hard time getting the bike to run right.

I bought the bike with around 25k miles and it runs and starts great except for the initial throttle from idle, the bike starts to sputter and even has died on me one time at a stoplight.

The bike has a voodoo aftermarket slip on exhaust and a raptor petcock however is still factory jetted

initially the bike was running really rich the spark plug was straight black, which I thought was odd due to the exhaust I would have though it would run lean which makes me think it may be something else... However I got the carb sonic cleaned and messed with the fuel mixture screw and it seems to have leaned out as there is no more black smoke coming from the exhaust however it still sputters at initial then starts to run good. I havnt pulled the sparkplug out again to confirm the rich running to go away however I wanted to know what else I could check to fix the sputtering if my carb seems to be ok

I even checked and the spark plug is getting a strong spark, the bike idles good starts right up just decides to sputter at first.

I did notice when spraying carb cleaner at the intake where the carb and engine meet if enough carb cleaner is sprayed on the intake the bike will die so maybe a vacuum leak???

I am trying to fix it myself so any advice on what to check would be greatly appreciated

lastly I did try to increase my pilot jet (before knowing it was rich) and the sputter went away however there was a terrible rough idle and a hanging idle....

Tomorrow I will remove my air filter to see if that helps, however I am hoping it is not the valve clearences or cam chain however if I need to check those I will

again to restate the bike idles and has great midrange and full throttle (may need a bigger main jet as it a\oulls a little harder when i let off the throttle a little) however when idling and then giving it 1/8 to 1/4 throttle it sputters before catching up

also when cold there is no sputter only when warmed up!! any advice would be great!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Bike sputtering on initial throttle
Reply #1 - 10/01/21 at 03:57:35

Welcome. An old dirty spark plug won’t tell you much about the pilot jet. What size pilot jet was in there? What size pilot jet did you install and how many turns out on the mixture screw? What rpm is the idle set?

You likely miss read the plug, and took a too lean condition and made it leaner.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/01/21 at 06:14:57

Instead of spraying flammable stuff hunting a leak try soapy water. It will change how it runs and you can see Where it's hitting, unlike shooting something that has invisible vapors. Most squirt bottles can be adjusted to work like a squirt gun instead of a shower.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/01/21 at 11:48:53

well I woke up to it pouring outside so I will have to wait for the rain to stop as I dont have a garage, I am currently in college just trying to get the bike to be reliable for transportation.

As for the spark plug I did replace it with a new one when I initially got the bike and thats how I discovered it was rich as it sooted out after just running it for like 10 min. also when giviing it throttle it would sputter and spit out a little black smoke and smell like gas. After getting the carb sonic cleaned I believe it isnt running rich anymore however I havnmt been able to pull the plug out to varify I will update yall when I check and I currently have everything stock in the carb the pilot jet is a 52.5 and the main is a 145 I did before cleaning the carb try one up of the pilot and the sputtering went away however the idle was horrible at all rpms the idle would hang when let off the throttle and just seemed to run a lot better as when I put the 52.5 jet back in the idle was good but the sputtering came back also the needle jet is stock also no white spacer mod

I will try the soapy water next too the bike bogged down when I sprayed a lot of carb cleaner near the engine intake and I could get the bike to die, not sure if i was just spraying too much and thats why or if it needs the gasket replaced.

If a video would help I can take a video of spraying the cleaner or soapy water on the intake and also the sputtering

IP Logged
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/01/21 at 11:55:00

oh also just checked thew fuel mixture screw it is 3 1/2 turns out the way I adjusted that was turned the biked idle really low before it would die then adjusted the mixture screw to where it would idle the highest. It would die or run rough if too far in and then eventually would run rough if too far out so i tried to find the happy medium then increased the idle to where it ran smooth. I dont have any way to exactly check the idle speed just going by ear and where it sounds smooth as I know these bikes are supposed to idle faster for the oil pump or what not !!

Again thanks for the fast replies before I joined the forum I had been looking at about nearly every post haha

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 10/01/21 at 15:08:18

Here's the thing, plug reading is for WOT runs, not idle. Jet the carb for good throttle response....something you don't have. 3-1/2 turn out on the mixture screw is a clear indication that your pilot jet is too lean. I don't care if the spark plug looks like tar or a shiny diamond - your throttle response tells be that you have a lean bog.

Regarding the mixture screw - the sweet spot is 1-1/2 turns out. If you can close it (screw it all the way in) it is an indication that the pilot jet is too large. If you can screw it all the way out and the bike continues at the same idle as it did at 2 turns - it's too lean.

I'm telling you, go two sizes up from your current jet and you will loose the lean bog and the mixture screw will be at 1-1/2 turns out.

IP Logged
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/02/21 at 18:04:27

I tried to switch the pilot jet out to the next size bigger as I didn’t have 2 sizes up and the bike stutters even worse now and just sounds like it has wayyy too much fuel I did get the fuel screw to 2 1/2 turns out but the bike just sounds super choppy and won’t stay running now once you start to ride and let off the gas it just dies so I don’t think it needs a bigger pilot jet(I could be wrong but it’s also shooting out black smoke on the initial throttle more then it did before) I’m thinking replace the intake rubber gasket and o ring since when I spray carb cleaner there the bike does maybe that will clean up the sputter? After these gaskets/ boots are replaced I’m not so sure what to check after that hopefully this helps any ideas would be greatly appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 10/02/21 at 18:18:55

Usually a bad carb boot results in a run away idle. Did you ever change the air filter? You mentioned that you have a manual petcock, was the vacuum nipple capped?

IP Logged
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/02/21 at 19:07:19

Stock air filter and even with removing the filter it still bogs a little better but doesn’t cure it. Then the vacuum has like a gas line  attached  to it but isn’t capped looks like the previous owner just out a gas line or vent line on it

IP Logged
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/02/21 at 19:08:02

Maybe the voodoo exhaust is too much for the bike and needs a different slip on muffler?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 10/02/21 at 19:31:09

BB57y5e wrote on 10/02/21 at 19:07:19:
Then the vacuum has like a gas line  attached  to it but isn’t capped looks like the previous owner just out a gas line or vent line on it

Now we’re getting somewhere. That line has to be capped off. For the time being, stick a golf tee in that line and see if that cures the problem.

IP Logged
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/04/21 at 10:30:20

Almost there!! I capped the line and it forced me to screw in the air mixture screw all the way in and it is still is sputtering a little but not where I believe the bike is gonna die. It also idles a lot quieter not sure why maybe it was just way out of whack before

It is also still running rich as it still spits out black smoke on the initial throttle however everything else is running great! Went up one on the main and man no back firing and it runs really good just need to fix that initial throttle still l Angry

Do you think I need to upgrade the air filter? Or maybe the air intake in the engine side maybe I need to replace the gasket maybe air is escaping and making the mixture rich?

Thank you for all the help I think I’m getting close!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 10/04/21 at 12:03:48

A crack in the carb boot introduces air - not fuel - into the mixture. So it causes the engine to run lean. This is not your problem.

Tell me more about the smoke. Perhaps it's oil. Once again, a black spark plug tells you little about the pilot circuit, but it does tell me that you need to clean or replace the plug. What jets are installed and what is your (approximate) altitude?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/04/21 at 12:38:25

forced me to screw in the air mixture screw all the way in

I hope you were gentle with that. It's a wimpy ,pointy thing and not gonna handle torque.

If it's not happy with that anywhere but closed,, that isn't right.
It's supposed to be open a coupla turns IF it's jetted right and everything else is working right.

I'm sure a carb guru will chime in and give you actually beneficial information.
I would be happy to help, because then I would be a guru..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BB57y5e
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/04/21 at 12:40:01

The smoke is black and only on the 1/8 throttle  which is why I figured it was fuel cause I thought white was oil, but I am at 338’ according to google and I am ringing the stock pilot  jet which is 52.5  and then my main jet is one up from stock so 147.5 maybe I should just go down a pilot size and call it good?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 19:00:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike sputtering on initial throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.