Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Different internal diameter on Dyna mufflers (Read 41 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Different internal diameter on Dyna mufflers
09/28/21 at 22:52:14

Hey guys,

Just a quick question about the Dyna. I bought a pair of Dynas and fitted one (about 4 years ago ... all good). Anyway, a little while a go I had a little spill on the bike and the muffler got scratched up.

So, I finally got around to digging out the other muffler. But I noticed there is quite a big difference between the internal diameters at the end of each muffler. The one I have on is approximately 1.5" whereas the other is about 1.0".

Does anyone know anything about why that would be and/or if it is likely to affect the jetting/performance. if I swap it over?

Thanks in advance.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Different internal diameter on Dyna mufflers
Reply #1 - 09/29/21 at 08:58:31

I don't know. Is it a genuine H-D Muffler? If genuine, maybe a Sportster muffler instead of a Dyna?
Nevermind the above, I just remembered why that is. On the Harley one pipe is shorter than the other. The smaller diameter muffler was for the shorter pipe so the volume was about the same for both pipes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/29/21 at 09:41:08

AhhHAA!  That explains why the first Dyna I installed was Easy..
And the second one was a real BeeYotch!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 09/29/21 at 20:52:04

Weird ! I bought a pair from one seller on e-bay a few years ago. Identical. $40.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 09/29/21 at 21:17:49

Fast 650 wrote on 09/29/21 at 08:58:31:
I don't know. Is it a genuine H-D Muffler? If genuine, maybe a Sportster muffler instead of a Dyna?
Nevermind the above, I just remembered why that is. On the Harley one pipe is shorter than the other. The smaller diameter muffler was for the shorter pipe so the volume was about the same for both pipes.

I thought that might have been the reason ... to compensate for the difference in length of the two pipes on the Harley.

I assume, given that this one has a smaller outlet it would be more restrictive than the other one. I also assume that would affect jetting, but not sure if it would affect performance at all.

Got any thoughts on that?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 09/29/21 at 22:21:57

@ zipadachimp,  not all of them were different sizes. I don't know if certain years had them or if it was certain models though.

IslandRoad, it will make a slight difference, maybe one horsepower. For a stock or nearly stock engine even the smaller one will still make better power than the Suzuki muffler did though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 23:57:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different internal diameter on Dyna mufflers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.