Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 63
Send Topic Print
1987 Savage Street Tracker build (Read 7177 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: 1986 Savage Street Tracker build
Reply #315 - 12/21/21 at 19:12:00

It is clearly a knock off.  I have not used it or put any fuel into it.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #316 - 12/21/21 at 20:06:00

I measured the slide and it is a #7 slide.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #317 - 12/21/21 at 20:12:34

It looks like the rebuild kit I bought for the float also includes a slide as well.  This kit was $15 on Fleabay.  If it isn't a #7 slide in the kit I will hunt down a direct replacement.

_10.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #318 - 12/22/21 at 08:52:34

I got a nice score yesterday from a guy that just happens to live 30 minutes south of me.  He had a lot of spare parts (mostly used) that he was giving away for free.  Sorry, I just couldn't pass it up!  I cherry picked through the stuff, and left most of the big items (frame, wheels, etc.)  I did get a much cleaner tank, stock front fender (not sure I will use it), a bottom end motor (cases are split open) a lot of electrical items, several cables, and a stock carburetor.  I ran a search and found the engine is is an '86.  I was hoping it was a five speed trans, and I was after a spare head as well, but it was not to be.  The top end was gone from the connecting rod upwards. Despite some of the disappointments it was a great find and you just really can't beat free!  The tank is in way better shape than mine and appears clean inside as well.  Mine has a couple dents and is rusty inside.  He has more stuff, several seats, the rear seat bar, rear fender, aluminum fender rails, etc.  If anyone is looking for any of that I would be happy to go pick it up before he moves.  Just give me shout on here and let me know what you need.

20211222_0835571.jpg

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #319 - 12/22/21 at 23:39:41

When I saw gdrseeker's post in the marketplace I thought you might go for it.  Both in Nevada.  Sweet deal for you Sneezy.  Nice of gdrseeker to fix you up.

That carb kit is almost as good of a deal.  How can ya beat $15 bucks?  Let us know how the quality is.

I still can't figure the liquid oozing from your float.  That's totally screwy.  When you get the new one, you should put them both in a pan of gas and see if they have the same buoyancy.

Hey Ohiomoto, when you state that  "the pictures you posted DON'T look like Genuine PWK parts."         Is there something different about the geometry or are you speaking strictly in terms of the quality?  If there are dimensional variations or variations in geometry of the slide it would be beneficial to know what to look for.  We've pretty much figured out these things are knock-offs.  But you can make one run good with a little effort and they sure are cheap.  Probably not the best choice for someone with limited skills and/or no tools, but with a little luck the average shade tree wrencher can make one of these knock-offs run great.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #320 - 12/23/21 at 03:52:26

Can you please count the number of teeth on the crankshaft drive gear and clutch basket for me please?

The parts list for the 86 shows the bike to have a different ratio than the later bikes - but we haven't been able to confirm that they didn't change it before they started building the bikes.  Nobody on this forum has ever seen one of the gear sets with different ratios.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #321 - 12/23/21 at 08:02:22

As soon as I am done with my coffee, I will get out of my jammies and bunny slippers I will get a teeth count for ya!  (I know, TMI!!!)  Grin

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #322 - 12/23/21 at 08:21:08

I live on the north east end of Carson Valley.  gdrseeker is on the south east end of the valley, only a 25 minute drive.  Go figure!  I never thought I would run into another Savage owner so close considering how remote we are.  He is moving soon - I may go back and snag some more of his stash before he bails.  This valley is one of the most beautiful places, but I am sure he has good reasons for leaving the area.  This is my view off my front porch.  Immediately over the ridge line of the Sierra Nevada mountains lies Lake Tahoe, about a 35 minute drive from my house.

20180312_093117.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #323 - 12/23/21 at 09:45:07

Should be obvious.
reportedly, you are able to remove the primary gear before removing the clutch basket on an 86.

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #324 - 12/23/21 at 10:27:41

Crankshaft drive gear = 36 teeth

Clutch basket = 68 teeth

Y'all should thank me for not posting a picture of me in my jammies and bunny slippers.  Just sayin'   Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #325 - 12/23/21 at 20:04:53

I dare ya !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #326 - 12/24/21 at 04:23:55

TheSneeze wrote on 12/23/21 at 10:27:41:
Crankshaft drive gear = 36 teeth

Clutch basket = 68 teeth

Y'all should thank me for not posting a picture of me in my jammies and bunny slippers.  Just sayin'   Wink

Well that appears to be the "first set" of confirmed early primary gears (unless my memory is wrong).  The 1986 4 speed was supposed to have the 68/36 ratio....the later bikes had a 67/37 ratio.

If you install the later gear set into this engine you will get a bit taller gearing (longer legs).  Perhaps Suzuki made this change to reduce the rpm at cruise on the 4 speed bikes.

(I do need to go out and count my 5 speed gear sets to make sure I am remembering this scenario correctly , as I gave up trying to find these mythical gears several year ago).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #327 - 12/24/21 at 08:03:40

I was actually hoping this used bottom end was a five speed.  But the serial number confirmed it to be an '86.  I will have to go count the teeth on current motor, which is a '87.  I suspect it has the same tooth count.  If you are interested in this set just let me know.

I should be receiving my Mac exhaust around the beginning of Jan.  Thanks, Bill! I guess I better get off my butt and start the mid controls and get the frame off to powder coat.  Looks like the engine will be ready to go back in the frame by Feb.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #328 - 12/24/21 at 08:08:11

DragBikeMike, most of the PWK pictures floating around here look like they might be cheap knockoffs, but I really don't know so take it for what it's worth.  If my memory serves me correctly I always thought the Keihin PWK carbs were a nicer quality than the Mikuni carbs.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #329 - 12/24/21 at 11:38:28

Ohiomoto,

Yep, they are cheap knock-offs.  We got that figured out a long time ago.  But with a little effort, you can make em work good.  They only cost about $30 bucks.  I also might add that the three PWKs (all knock-offs) that I messed around with were all good quality.  So good in fact, that I mentioned in my carburetor shootout (3/28/20) that although the PWK was of questionable pedigree the quality appeared as good or better than the VM.  It's crazy.  The knock-off artists seem to be very talented.

But for $30 bucks sumthin's gotta give eventually, and it looks like Sneezy won the lottery.  His funky slide and perforated float look pretty bad, but the rest of his mixer looks fine to me.  We'll have to see how it runs.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 63
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/25/24 at 01:39:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1987 Savage Street Tracker build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.