Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unruly fuel vent/overflow line - help me place it (Read 35 times)
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Unruly fuel vent/overflow line - help me place it
08/28/21 at 15:57:50

Hi,

I've already posted about this but wanted to be more specific as I look for the correct answer. I have a LONG tube that runs from the undercarriage of my gas tank to no where. It is either a fuel overflow or vent, it doesn't really matter.

What matters, is that I cannot easily feed it through the frame so it hangs neatly somewhere. I dont want to crush it, or force it somewhere it's not meant to be (although I realize the placement doesn't really seem to matter). On your savage, where does this tube run? I want it to be nice and neat and as it should be. Would love to see a pic of where your tube runs.

Here is a few extra photos and videos of my issue:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sl-BaySpXhuxMozukb_2kbPo71jeLMC4?usp=sha
ring

IP Logged
TRLREDY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Unruly fuel vent/overflow line - help me place
Reply #1 - 08/28/21 at 16:32:30

I just pulled my fuel tank off to change the spark plug and I don't have that vent tube.  Only long line coming off my tank was the speedo cable.  I'm curious to see what other say about this.
Love your accent by the way!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 08/28/21 at 17:29:31

My bike does not have that line (in the USA only models sold in California have it), but it would travel back behind the fuel tank and then down deigns the air box. It would “dangle” with the carb vents.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #3 - 08/28/21 at 21:57:46

My guess is its an overflow tube to guard against spilling fuel over the engine if the tank is overfilled at the gas pump as required in certain jurisdictions  My bike does not have it nor do I believe I would ever need it.

I would say either block it off at the tank or if you dont want to do that run it down alongside the speedo cable and then to the underside of the bike
behind the gearbox if you cant find another better route
A few zip ties should hold it neatly in place

Hiko   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/29/21 at 03:02:39

As versy said in your original post:
"prob#2-if you have a California bike, there's a carbon canister under the swing-arm.
And there should've been a 3/16" line running from the tanks vent to it.
Then another line will run from the canister to the carb.

The parts are shown in the canister (E33) section of the phish"

Here is the phish he is referring to:
https://suzukiofvannuys.com/Parts/Parts-Fiche/suzuki/motorcycles/1996/ls650p-...

That tube SHOULD run to the evap canister, if there is one.  If that is missing from your motorcycle, then .. it probably doesn't matter where it goes, as long as it doesn't drain on to something HOT, as it is the vent for the gas tank.

OR, you could cut it short and cap it off. (or just cap it off at the tank)
If you do that, you may need to have a VENTED gas cap that allows for air flow both ways.
I don't know if you could modify the current gas cap.  Probably.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 01:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unruly fuel vent/overflow line - help me place it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.