Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brake light cable & fuel regulation tube placement (Read 35 times)
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brake light cable & fuel regulation tube placement
08/21/21 at 16:19:40

Hi!

I'm the proud owner of a yellow 1996 Suzuki Savage

I've finally reached my wits end with these dodgy mechanics. After the last guy butchered every task i asked him to fix, I've now got to repair the mess he made (and have realized that I am just as capable of doing a terrible job myself without the bill at the end haha).

.....so this mechanic has left me with a few repair mysteries which my Clymer cannot solve. I'm hoping someone out there can take a look at their Savage and tell me what mine should look like.

Problem 1: The rear brake light cable has been disconnected from the brake pedal. This means my rear brake light is not engaged when I press down on the pedal. I think the cable I'm referring to is part number 11 in this diagram: https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32f42f8700232d0b3d7c5/hand....

For the life of me I cant figure out how the end of the cable near the pedal actually attaches to the pedal. See attached photo - the part the red arrow is pointing to, is the end of the cable (no obvious way to attach it to anything). Did an attachment fall off it? Is it meant to somehow connect to the blue arrow? (lost my split pin, using a bobby pin for now).

I would love to get a photo of someone's Savage rear brake cable attachment to understand how on earth mine is meant to connect. I don't even know what part to order, as the cable in the diagram linked above doesn't have a clear attachment piece.

Problem 2: The long tube that comes from the top of my fuel tank (I think it either drains excess fuel, or helps regulate the pressure inside the fuel tank, or both).....the mechanic ran this tube OUTSIDE the frame!! It's obviously meant to be fed somewhere through the frame but i cant seem to fit it down any of the cracks. Where do you guys have your tube line fed through? Again I'd love to see a photo of where it goes so i can copy the placement.

IMG_20210816_194210__01.jpg
  IP Logged
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Brake light cable & fuel regulation tube place
Reply #1 - 08/21/21 at 16:24:45

Here is the tube  Undecided

Screen_Shot_2021-08-21_at_4_22_36_PM_1.png
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brake light cable & fuel regulation tube p
Reply #2 - 08/21/21 at 18:49:03

prob#1-couldn't find the little clip in the phish so here's a picture.
that little plastic piece is supposed to have a flange on it.
so you need an "L" shape bracket that slips on that pin and it's retained with the cotter pin.
just wrap a paper clip around the wire and twist it, and clip it short.

RearBrakeCableClip.JPG
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brake light cable & fuel regulation tube p
Reply #3 - 08/21/21 at 18:54:40

prob#2-if you have a California bike, there's a carbon canister under the swing-arm.
And there should've been a 3/16" line running from the tanks vent to it.
Then another line will run from the canister to the carb.

The parts are shown in the canister (E33) section of the phish

BTW: what are you doing hanging around with dodgy mechanics?
If you're anywhere near me or can get to me, I'll fix you up, I'm sure others will respond the same.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 08/22/21 at 11:50:58

I think the part you are missing is actually part of the stop light switch cable( #11 on your diagram) and not a separate piece. That's why its not on the parts diagram.  

IP Logged
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/28/21 at 15:42:59

Thank you so much this was SUPER helpful!! I managed to use a paperclip and get her up and running. Thanks a million.

As for the tube, still no luck on the placement. I've determined its either a fuel overflow line or a vent but I'm quite certain it's not meant to be connected to the carbon canister. Popular opinion is that it can just hang anywhere but I wish it had a nice little spot it could be neatly run. I'm going to start a new thread about this as I have some new pictures.

IP Logged
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/28/21 at 15:44:14

Here is my paper clip jobbie

IMG_20210828_143031.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 01:19:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake light cable & fuel regulation tube placement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.