Need opinion on Tires (Read 68 times)
Aquinaz921
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alameda, CA
Need opinion on Tires
08/27/21 at 12:38:34

I did a search on discussion regarding tires, didn't find any that gave me what I need, soooo I'm asking this question...

I'm now in the market of getting new tires for my 2001 Savage.  The code on my current tires says that it was manufactured 2000.  So ya I need new ones.  I have spoke rims, so I'm guessing I'm gonna need tires and tubes as well.  So the shop I'm planning to bring it to is quoting me to change my tires + tubes for $434.57   that pretty good?  That almost cost as much as 4 tires on my Rav4.  But what do I know?  so I'm asking here.

2001 Suzuki (Sushi) Savage LS650P, no mods.
1995 Suzuki (Sukie) VS800 Intruder, no mods.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Need opinion on Tires
Reply #1 - 08/27/21 at 13:32:25

What I have paid recently.

Labor is by a mechanic who comes to my house and includes EVERYTHING.  Take wheel off, change tire, balance, put wheel back on.
Rounded up to nearest dollar on everything

Labor:
80 front tire
90 rear tire
(separate trips.  Probably less if done at the same time)

Front
2 rim strip
17 tube
136 tire Michelin Commander III

Rear
3 rim strip
19 tube (90 degree stem)
173 tire Michelin Commander III

520 buckaroos total

Tires can go from fairly cheap to OMG.   These Michelins are in the OMG category.
Another tire I am fond of is the Metzler ME880
Front: 99  Rear: 137

I buy mine online at Rocky Mountain ATV.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/27/21 at 15:51:13

Find the tires online
Remove a wheel
Haul A WHEEL AND TIRE to the shop
Let them mount it
Go home
Put it on
Pull the other one
Rinse and repeat.

Yeah,, get the rim strip too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 08/27/21 at 19:10:18

Depending on the price of the tires you choose, and assuming you are taking the bike in and the shop is doing all the work, that strikes me as pretty fair.

Last time I replaced tires on my S40 I spent about $170 for the tires(Shinko 712 - pretty inexpensive tires) $30 for tubes, $4.00 for rim strips and I did all the work myself. I didn't have to buy wheel weights 'cause I already had some but add a few bucks for those if you don't.

So, a little over $200 in parts. And the tires I bought are just about the least expensive you can buy. And those are online  sellers prices.

Most places around me will charge $30 to $50 to mount and balance a tire if you take them the wheels off the bike. If they have to remove and reinstall the wheels on the bike then the labor charge goes up.

I wouldn't be at all upset about that price if I just rode the bike in, bought everything from the shop and rode back home when the bike was done.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 08/28/21 at 00:38:22

If these are the OEM IRC tyres, the rear is an odd size, some recommend replacing the rear with a 140/90 15, others say it impedes handling in a minor way. I recent times I have run Michelein Commanders front and rear. On the advice of a tyre shop, I'm now running a Bridgestone Battle Axe on the front. The aforementioned Shinko is appaerently good value for money.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/28/21 at 02:07:53

Don't get IRC tires....they are not that great.

If you ride less than 2,000 miles a year - get Shinko tires as they will get old before you wear the rear one out in 10,000 miles.

If you ride a lot - buy the Michelin Commander II or III tires and expect to get more than 20,000 miles (a bit slippery when it rains and you will need to slow down a bit).

You will likely get 2 rear tires before you wear the front tire out.

The front is a 100/90-19.  The rear can be either a 130/90-15 if you want to stay at the stock size for the best handing.  If you want a bit taller gearing and ride in straight lines....the 140-90-15 is a larger and heavier tire and helps with straight line stability. The difference in handling is not huge between the two sizes - but is noticeable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Aquinaz921
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alameda, CA
Reply #6 - 08/28/21 at 23:13:35

1) Yes, I was planning on just bringing in the bike and let them install the new tires and dispose of the old ones.  I don't really have the right tools to work on the tires, as of now.

2) I don't ride a lot, mostly just for relaxation and pleasure... don't even go on tours.  So Probably less 2k miles a year.

3) Tires are: front - 100/90-19 (57H) & rear is 140/80-15 (67H).   And ya, seems to be IRC Brand are the only ones around here with those sizes.

Curious, i now what they other numbers are, but what are the 57H and 67H?

2001 Suzuki (Sushi) Savage LS650P, no mods.
1995 Suzuki (Sukie) VS800 Intruder, no mods.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/29/21 at 03:18:57

Aquinaz921 wrote on 08/28/21 at 23:13:35:
Curious, i now what they other numbers are, but what are the 57H and 67H?

Those are load ratings for the tires.

You really don't need to worry about them...the only time I pay attention to them is when there are two tires in the same size with different weight ratings.  I choose the smaller number as our bike is light and doesn't need a large load rating.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 01:26:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need opinion on Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.