Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Side stand won’t stay down (Read 102 times)
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Side stand won’t stay down
08/26/21 at 07:31:56

Hi, I have just bought a used 1989LS 650 and have some issues with the side stand. It doesn’t seem to stay down. It looks as though the mounting tab on the foot rest bracket is too far back. I’ve had a good look at the bracket and it doesn’t look like it’s been modified in any way. I bought a foot peg mount from a breakers which is very different and more similar to the one on a previous 1994 Savage I owned. It looks as though they changed the design at some point. I wondered if anyone can send me a photo of a foot rest bracket from an 89 Savage so I can see where the Side stand return spring fits onto the bracket. Thanks for your help

C7E34C59-5BFA-4F39-A07C-CAD5AA8765EC.jpeg
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Side stand won’t stay down
Reply #1 - 08/26/21 at 12:07:30

Spring maybe installed wrong , try flipping the spring.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/26/21 at 13:07:41

Hi Ruttly, thanks for the suggestion, just tried it both ways and no difference! I’m intrigued that there may be something missing but it’s all there according to the manual. The retainer on the bracket is a tab with a hole in it welded to the back of the bracket. All the chrome looks good so I don’t think someone’s moved it or welded on a bespoke part. I spoke to a dealer and had a look at his parts diagrams indicate that early models had a flat mounting bracket which I’ve got, and later models had an angular bracket with a round post to hold the spring. I tried fitting a used late model bracket which fits ok but the slot for the footpeg is smaller so that bit won’t fit in. I was quite surprised that there’s a difference as I thought the bike remained pretty much unchanged for its whole life. I’ve attached an image of the back of the bracket below

7E1F4EA1-6DB2-4C6C-98F4-F7D719C7B757.jpeg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/26/21 at 13:22:00

First, there are two springs...

IMG_20210826_131722010.jpg

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/26/21 at 13:22:46

Second, here's a view of how mine hooks up.

IMG_20210826_131752066.jpg

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/26/21 at 14:24:25

Hi, thanks for the replies. I tried the 2 springs from a late model stand and bracket and they were both loose. I’ve attached a clip from the dealers parts diagram. I was told item 2 is the early model foot peg bracket, and item 3 is a late model with the post to hold the spring. Is yours an 89?

18454311-C3C3-474A-904E-2842E5363E7A.jpeg
  IP Logged
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/26/21 at 14:28:31

This is a photo of the replacement used part I bought where the slot for
The footpeg is too narrow to fit the one I’ve got. Interestingly there’s no mounting point for the cut out switch on the bracket fitted to the bike and no tab on the side stand. I know it had a cut out switch originally as I can see the connector behind the side cover next to ignition module where it would have plugged in to

71D0FACB-BF40-4EF3-A0C9-FAD29908EA99.jpeg
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #7 - 08/26/21 at 16:21:08

The inboard spring mount should be directly behind the stand pivot so that when the stand is in its down position the leg will be angled slightly forward and the spring will  hold it there as it has overcentered
This position also keeps the stand up when it is back
Your spring seems to be mounted differently and too far back looking at the photo
It should be a simple job to relocate the spring mount position

Hiko   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 08/26/21 at 17:04:18

I believe Hiko is right. Your bracket may have been broken and repaired at some point. The weld holding the tab on the back of the bracket in your second photo doesn't look factory to me. Nor does the tab itself. I think the tab with the hole in it for the spring is either not the correct part, or in the wrong spot, or both.

However, I've never seen that type bracket, and I can't tell much from the diagram.

IP Logged
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/27/21 at 03:49:55

Hi, thanks both for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. What a great resource this is! I think your right about the PO moving the tab. If it was more forward it would probably work. May be it was moved further back on purpose to prevent the side stand staying down when the bike is upright when the switch was removed. A kind of halfway house between the original safety feature and none at all. I’m not keen on it as it’s a bit of a PITA to use. I thought about moving it but like the chrome finish and don’t want to have to paint it. I’ve ordered a couple more used variations so I’ll post an update next week when I’ve taken the original off and tried the replacements. Thanks again

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/27/21 at 07:57:22

prevent the side stand staying down when the bike is upright when the switch was removed

That is what I was thinking.
Okay, it's a hassle.. First gear, roll the slack out set the stand, not going anywhere.
You only have to leave it down once and that hassle will look really small.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/27/21 at 08:13:54

Another option would to get a front brake lever lock device: Holds the lever in the activated position.

IP Logged
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/27/21 at 08:45:30

Thanks for you comments. Took the afternoon off work and went to visit a mate who happens to be an engineer. He just bent the tab forward a bit until it was in the right place now it works fine. Simple solutions are often the best!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/27/21 at 13:25:44

Don't forget to put it UP!

You will be fine till you dive into a left turn.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/27/21 at 13:38:09

Lol! Yes Absolutely. Skipping round a corner bouncing off the side stand would definitely make me rethink adding the safety switch back

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 22:05:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Side stand won’t stay down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.