Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hearing a grinding noise at a specific rev range (Read 57 times)
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hearing a grinding noise at a specific rev range
08/25/21 at 21:22:55

Hi everyone,

For the past couple of months I have been monitoring a grinding noise coming from my engine at specific RPM ranges.  I hear it right before I shift from first to second, and second to third, and I presume that it is also present in the higher gears, though the wind drowns it out.  I can also hear it when I decelerate through this same rev range, and it's even more prominent during deceleration. When I open the throttle more and increase the RPMs past this range, the grinding noise stops and the engine sounds fine.  I can best describe the noise as a grinding or growling, akin to what you might hear if you had small metal parts vibrating on a metal table because of some machinery or something.

Over the past two months, since I started hearing the noise, I think it has gotten a little louder, and the range at which I can hear it has increased a bit.  I am placing a video recording of the noise below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfK1riuJ_A&ab_channel=miamikid08sdad

Here's what I've tried so far:

• I thought it might be the cam chain adjuster, but it does not sound like the Boulevard with a separated cam chain adjuster shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROjIvHH_Gs&ab_channel=MetricMotorcycleMadness
  • I thought it might be a vibrating loose bolt on the engine somewhere, but I checked them and they are snug.
  • I've heard that the speedometer assembly can vibrate in the tank and make a noise, but putting my hand on the speedo doesn't affect the noise.

I am hoping that some of you can:

• Help me identify where the noise is coming from,
  • Indicate if the noise is a serious matter or just a thing that happens with this motorcycle,
  • Offer a solution for how to fix the problem, if it's warranted.

Bike stats:
Year: 2013
Miles: 16k
Cam chain mod: don't think so
White space mod: don't think so
Oil: appropriate level and age
Riding style: nothing too crazy

Thank you for your time!  Please let me know if I can provide any additional information to make your sleuthing easier!  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Hearing a grinding noise at a specific rev ran
Reply #1 - 08/25/21 at 22:22:00

If it's the cam chain, you'll feel a tapping next to the oil filter cover if the adjuster hasn't fallen apart.  Open her up and take a look.

Could be the valves, just took apart one that sounded similar and found the rockers had flats and the cam was worn. take the inspection covers and feel how loose the adjustment is.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/26/21 at 03:02:56

Have you owned the bike since new?
What kind of oil do you use?
Do you start the bike up and let it idle for long periods while the bike is resting on the side stand?  (Like starting it in the winter to keep the battery charged and the fuel in the carb fresh?)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/26/21 at 10:09:53

verslagen1 wrote on 08/25/21 at 22:22:00:
If it's the cam chain, you'll feel a tapping next to the oil filter cover if the adjuster hasn't fallen apart.  Open her up and take a look.

Could be the valves, just took apart one that sounded similar and found the rockers had flats and the cam was worn. take the inspection covers and feel how loose the adjustment is.

Hey Verslagen, thanks for your response.  The bike is due for a cam chain tensioner swap anyway, and I have yours so I might just do it swap and check at the same time.  Quick question: do I need to apply some kind of sealant when I put the clutch cover back on?

The valves could be a culprit as well though, I think I will check these first.

IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/26/21 at 10:12:21

Dave wrote on 08/26/21 at 03:02:56:
Have you owned the bike since new?
What kind of oil do you use?
Do you start the bike up and let it idle for long periods while the bike is resting on the side stand?  (Like starting it in the winter to keep the battery charged and the fuel in the carb fresh?)

Hey Dave, thanks for your response.  

I bought the bike in 2018 and it had 7500 miles then.  I don't think the previous owner did any serious modifications to it.

I use Valvoline 10W40 non-synthetic oil.

I never leave it idling ont he side stand for two long.  Maybe 20 seconds at a time while I run back to close the gate.  Never leave it sitting on the stand to charge or warm up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/26/21 at 10:40:39

I'd be having a look at the cam chain.
That is not the best oil for that engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/26/21 at 10:54:52

You may already have this bookmarked, but here's a link to the cam chain tensioner guide http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029.

FWIW, I've had my right side engine cover off twice and was able to reuse the factory gasket, but I would recommend buying one to have on hand just in case.  That way, you're not stuck waiting on it arrive should you need it.  I don't remember if this is mentioned in the guide, but the best thing to do is trace the new gasket onto the top of a cardboard box before you start pulling bolts.  Poke holes everywhere a bolt goes, push each bolt into the appropriate hole, and make notes on the cardboard box next to bolts that are long, short, or have a rubber washer.  Makes reassembly less stressful and confusing.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/26/21 at 11:30:48

Hey Justin and Tocsik, thank you for your replies!

Justin, I had no idea this wasn't a good oil.  I figured it's a pretty hearty engine and it can do fine with just about any 10W40.  What oil do you like to use.

Tocsik, I placed an order for the gasket ($26!!!).  In the meantime I'll check the valves, as Verslagen suggested.  Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

IP Logged
Dreanimal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/26/21 at 11:40:12

I need to check out my cam chain tensioner as well and you guys just inspired me to check it out this weekend.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/26/21 at 14:03:40

daphil wrote on 08/26/21 at 11:30:48:
Hey Justin and Tocsik, thank you for your replies!

Justin, I had no idea this wasn't a good oil.  I figured it's a pretty hearty engine and it can do fine with just about any 10W40.  What oil do you like to use.

Tocsik, I placed an order for the gasket ($26!!!).  In the meantime I'll check the valves, as Verslagen suggested.  Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

This forum has members with100 thousand miles. Rotella oil.
Some love the synthetic, some dig the Dino..
But ROTELLA is The Only Proven oil that consistently delivers high mileage engines.
If you have Tractor Supply go visit.

The Exact Rotella oil you want escapes me, ask the geniuses before you go buy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 08/26/21 at 16:42:53

A few thoughts;

- the Valvoline oil you are using as moly. Moly and wet clutches don’t get along.

- the video…I may hear something…but our engines are so mechanicaly noisy it’s hard to tell. If it’s not the cam chain, it could also be a loose nut on the stator, or a loose nut on the clutch basket. You’ll need to determine which side of the engine it’s coming from. Using a wooden dowel as a stethoscope you can narrow it down to the exact location.

- make sure that the engine bolts are properly torqued because they can make a racket. So can a loose heat shield on the exhaust.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 17:52:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hearing a grinding noise at a specific rev range

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.