Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem only a California bike can have? (Read 32 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Problem only a California bike can have?
08/17/21 at 21:15:46

(Sorry for the wordiness)

I was coming home from Lake Tahoe on my 2015 LS650.  Filled up with gas and had a soft drink at a service station on a hot day.  Relaxed there for about 1/2 an hour with the bike in the sun.  Then took off for the next town.

Along the way I noticed that upon acceleration the bike hesitated slightly.  Didn't think much of it as I thought it was my imagination.  It continued doing this up to the point I realized that it wasn't my imagination!  Was a couple of miles from the next town and was stopped at a busy stoplight.  I revved it a little and it stumbled ... it wouldn't accelerate.  Tried it a couple more times and it was really stumbling!  Pushed the bike to the side of the road and couldn't make it run at all.  A biker came up to me and asked if I was having trouble.  He pointed to a small engine shop 1/2 a block away that I pushed the bike to.  The technician suggested that the tank was sealed and couldn't breath.  Tried running the bike with the gas cap loose and it seemed to work ok.

Without knowing what the trouble was, I has no choice but to tow it to a Suzuki dealership.  They found fuel in the vent line from the gas tank to the charcoal purge cannister (only on California bikes).  They blew the gas from the vent line.  They said overfilling the gas tank along with the gas expanding on a hot day caused the gas to get into the vent line.  It obstructed the venting.  They said not to overfill the gas tank.

Has anyone with a California bike ever experienced this?

Ron G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Problem only a California bike can have?
Reply #1 - 08/18/21 at 07:32:25

Interesting, no I've never done that.
I almost never fill past the point where the nozzle shuts off by itself.
Only a few times where I knew I'll need a "full" tank where I'll fill it till the gas reaches the fill tube.

WWW   IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Problem only a California bike can have?
Reply #2 - 08/18/21 at 12:05:57

Thanks for the input Verslagen.  The dealership seemed to be aware of this.  Checked the internet and found a similar problem appeared on other bikes.  From now on, I'll definitely fill the tank as the user manual suggests ... fill to the bottom of the filler neck.

Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 05:15:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problem only a California bike can have?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.