Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 7 - Cylinder Head (Read 169 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 7 - Cylinder Head
Reply #15 - 08/02/21 at 01:24:22

The polished stock screws were holding up, but I wanted a better fix.  I found these adjusters on-line, so I figured I would give them a try.  They are from a 1983 through 2004 Husqvarna 510, 570, 610 or 630.  Those bikes redline around 7K to 8.5K so they looked like a good choice.  They have a tighter radius and a bigger contact pad.  Cagiva part number 16-15-049-01.

Stock_vs_Husky_Adj_Screw2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 08/02/21 at 01:25:02

Only downside seems to be removal and replacement.  The stock screws can be replaced without removing the head cover.  These Cagiva screws require removal of the head cover.  They fit the rocker arms perfectly.

Cagiva_16-15-049-01_Adjusters.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 08/02/21 at 01:25:50

A change like this requires that the adjuster contact be checked to make sure it doesn’t get too close to the edge of the valve tip.  Mark the valve tips with a sharpie marker pen, then assemble the engine (no sealant) and rotate the crankshaft through several turns.

Also, the intake adjuster tips sit high, so I did a clay check.  Wouldn’t want the adjusters hitting the valve cover.

Cagiva_Adjusters_Elevation.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 08/02/21 at 01:26:34

Tip contact was centralized on all four valves.  Should be OK.

Contact_Check_Cagiva.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 08/02/21 at 01:27:14

The clay check showed plenty of clearance.  No problems here.  The way I see it, the Cagiva adjusters are either gonna work great or wreck the engine.  No guts no glory, chance-um.

Clay_Check.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 08/02/21 at 01:28:25

This Stage II head incorporates a jack bolt to buck-up the rear chain guide and restore tensioner plunger engagement.  When I started the head swap, the plunger was at 16.5mm.  During reassembly, I adjusted the jack bolt to reposition the plunger to 12mm.  With the jack bolt feature, periodic adjustments are possible.  Now when I remove the clutch cover, I can inspect the tensioner and set it back to 12mm.  It’s a nice feature.

The jack bolt is just a piece of continuously threaded 5/16” rod.  The cylinder head must be spot-faced, and then drilled & tapped.  Of course, you do that when the head is off the engine

Jack_Bolt_Adj.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 08/02/21 at 01:29:25

It’s nice to be able to restore the plunger engagement rather than change guides, tensioner, or chain.

Tensioner_Adj_to_12mm_at_18048_Miles.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 08/02/21 at 01:30:12

Once adjusted to the desired position, the jack bolt is locked in place with this special cap.

Jack_Bolt_Cap.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 08/02/21 at 01:30:56

Things could get ugly if the jack bolt came loose, it’s wise to safety wire the cap.

Jack_Bolt_Cap_Safety_Wire.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 08/02/21 at 01:35:46

Removal and replacement of the cylinder head is straightforward.  It’s like doing a cam swap (plus a few more steps).  Part 5 of this series has good info on cam replacement.  While the head is off, modify the ports as discussed in the links I provided.   If you have an extra head, you can do the port work, then install it when convenient.

Set valve clearance to .005” and fill the crankcase with oil.  I must confess that I switched oil.  It was getting a bit too expensive.  I’m into this thing every week or two and I usually don’t re-use oil.  The Rotella T4 costs half of what Castrol V-Twin oil costs, and probably only one-fourth of what Mobile 1 V-Twin oil costs.  The Rotella will do for now.

A quick compression test pumped 160 psi.  No change.  Makes sense.  Same cam.  Same 56cc combustion chamber.  Same piston…..  Didn’t really do anything that would affect the compression ratio.   Ready for test.

How does it run?  Just fine.  Starts right up, idles smooth, revs quick.  It will absolutely bury the 8K tach.  No oil leaks.  No unusual noise.  The Cagiva valve adjusters survived a few laps around the block.  It’s always encouraging when your trick parts don’t fail in the first five-minutes of operation.

It was time for WOT acceleration tests.

Let’s review the setup.  Stage II ported head, DR 650 cam, 3” flywheel, stock piston, stock bore & stroke, stock compression ratio (8.5:1), modified airbox with K&N RD-0710 cylindrical filter element, PWK38 carb, stock exhaust header, LCGP high flow muffler.   Except for the ported head, everything is the same as it was for the Part 6 flywheel test.

I left the jetting as-is, a #35 pilot jet, #145 main jet, and the needle clip in the fourth groove (rich).

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 2.73 seconds            0.19 seconds faster than stock head

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 4.87 seconds            0.26 seconds faster than stock head

Third Gear 4K to 7K: 6.95 seconds            0.58 seconds faster than stock head

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K: 4.58 seconds            0.46 seconds faster than stock head

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 6.96 seconds      1.00 seconds faster than stock head

Wow!  That’s one sweet modification.  Nice fat improvements across the board.  Fifth gear pull to 5500 rpm is killer.  In addition, maximum rpm in third gear has increased by 100 (7550 vs 7450) and maximum rpm in fifth gear has increased by 400 (6450 vs 6050).  The porting doesn’t hurt the low end at all, and it extends the top end a bunch.  

What will happen when we throw on the Mac header?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 08/02/21 at 01:38:40

A quick header swap and it was time to take it for a spin.  The air/fuel ratio was good, so I left the jetting right where it was.  It tends to go a bit rich at very high rpm.  That seemed like a safe place to be.

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 2.68 seconds            0.05 seconds faster than stock header (a wash)

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 4.82 seconds            0.05 seconds faster than stock header (a wash)

Third Gear 4K to 7K: 6.60 seconds            0.35 seconds faster than stock header

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K: 4.76 seconds            0.18 seconds slower than stock header

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 7.19 seconds      0.23 seconds slower than stock header

It’s difficult to tell the difference until it starts running up around 6500 rpm, then it becomes evident that the Big Mac loves the stratospheric rpm.  The Big Mac pulls an additional 200 rpm in third gear (7750, that’s 90 mph), but still signs off at 6450 in fifth gear.  That wall of air is tough to penetrate.  It drives right through the high-speed stall we experienced at 6050 rpm with the stock head and light flywheel.

Selecting a pipe for this head is easy, they both run great.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 08/02/21 at 01:41:51

Oil temperature and cylinder head temperature remain about the same (210/310), as does oil pressure.  Fuel economy is also about the same (55.4 mpg).  There’s no discernible change in audible noise.  Tha Cagiva adjuster screws are quiet (always a good sign).

This completes the cylinder head portion of the project.  The Stage II ported head was a huge success.  Performance has improved everywhere.  The biggest improvement was fifth gear acceleration (IMO, the most important test, passing power).

It is a relatively easy and inexpensive modification that will provide significant measurable improvements in performance, regardless of the cam or the compression ratio.  It demands free-flowing induction and exhaust systems.  It ain’t gonna work if you choke it off.

At this point, I have done 180 WOT acceleration pulls to dial in the different combinations.  There’s a little over 2600 miles on the engine since we started the project.  The old girl is still holdin up good.  No leaks.  No ugly noises.  Not using any oil.  Just a bit of oil accumulating in the catch-can.  It’s still a solid motor.

Next stop on the Power Train?  Compression.  Let’s see what happens when we bump up the squeeze.  Part 8 will install a Wiseco piston.

I hope some of you find this project informative and can use the data I collect to help make decisions on your own project.  If you have suggestions or comments on my test methods, post a reply so we can discuss.   As mentioned earlier, if you have a particular component or modification that you would like to see included, let me know and we can collaborate.

Best regards, Mike    

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 08/02/21 at 10:11:57

DBM, Why was epoxy used in the intake ? Was there a low spot there ? Maybe area where fuel was pooling ?  My intake side only needed  in my opinion some minor shaping ,mostly in valve pockets. In comparison to that horrible exhaust side that took some work to get it to flow. Keep in mind that I wasn’t trying to build a high H/P ,  just one that breathes well.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 08/02/21 at 11:27:44

I'm glad you asked that question Ruttly.  I consider the epoxy buildup the most beneficial feature of the Stage II head.  Raising the floor of the intake port allows you to increase the short-side radius.  The column of air tends to lift off the bottom of the port as it makes the tight turn just before the valve seat.  That causes the air to pile up on the top side of the port.  You can see from this sketch that the short side radius is much larger (red line).

Intake_Port_Sketch.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 08/02/21 at 12:01:29

As I was playing around on the flow bench, I noticed that when I inserted a large screw driver into the port and moved it around, flow would increase when the screw driver was positioned on the bottom of the port, just before the turn.

I got to talking with Fast650 about that and he turned me on to some posts on a Kawasaki forum.  The desert racers were using epoxy to improve that lower radius.  Then I found supporting info in your favorite book, Four-Stroke Performance Tuning.  Take a look at page 80 of Bell's masterpiece.

Using modeling clay, I was able to achieve dramatic increases in flow when I built up and reshaped the floor of the port.  Almost all of that 17% flow improvement comes from the epoxy build-up.   Cleaning up dingleberries and blending the seats barely moves the needle.  The BIG improvement comes with the epoxy build-up and widening the port.  It's important to get the shape correct.  As long as the apex of the radius is positioned as shown in the sketch, it works good.  Without that little flow bench, I would never have seen this treasure chest.

Typically, the pros build up the floor by welding, and raise the roof of the port so as not to reduce the cross section.  I feel the roof of the LS port is too thin to permit grinding away a lot of material, so I build up the floor and widen to compensate.

The flow bench numbers show that it improves flow.  Performance on the road proves it.  Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:06:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 7 - Cylinder Head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.