Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting up after a 2-year break..... (Read 87 times)
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starting up after a 2-year break.....
07/31/21 at 14:32:37

I had a couple of health issues and stored the bike for about 2-years. The bike only has 1400 miles.

Unfortunately, I left gas in the carb (thought I had drained it) so the float got stuck. I had done the Raptor petcock conversion and gas started coming out of the top hose on the left side of the carb (one of the ones left unsealed).

I cleaned the carb, so no more flooding.  (It had goop between the carb wall and float which must have held it in place....on the same  side that the motorcycle leans....no surprise there)  Roll Eyes

The bike will now idle OK provided the choke is pulled all the way out.  When I open the throttle up, the engine dies.  Likewise, it will die in idle if the choke is put in, even after being warmed up.

I really don't want to pull the carb again but I am afraid that's where I am heading.... Undecided

« Last Edit: 07/31/21 at 18:42:10 by edison »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Starting up after a 2-year break.....
Reply #1 - 07/31/21 at 15:16:27

When you cleaned the carb - what did you do to make sure the Pilot Jet was clear?

The Pilot jet has a very tiny hole that plugs up tight when a bike is stored too long with fuel in it.  Soaking and even an ultra sonic cleaner doesn't always get the blockage cleared.  I use a guitar string to poke through and make sure the blockage is cleared.  (Make sure the string doesn't have a burr on the end that might scratch the jet).

« Last Edit: 08/08/21 at 09:30:37 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/31/21 at 17:54:04

Thank you for your reply!

Can I do that by just dropping the bowl and going in with a brass wire from a brush? (or guitar string - that is a great idea!)  All I did so far was drop the bowl, clean it and try and shoot carb cleaner into the main and pilot jets.

Also, looking at Clymers, I can take out the jets w/o removing the entire carb from the bike - right?  Smiley   

« Last Edit: 08/01/21 at 14:14:04 by edison »  
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 08/08/21 at 00:47:12

edison wrote on 07/31/21 at 17:54:04:
Thank you for your reply!

Can I do that by just dropping the bowl and going in with a brass wire from a brush? (or guitar string - that is a great idea!)  All I did so far was drop the bowl, clean it and try and shoot carb cleaner into the main and pilot jets.

Also, looking at Clymers, I can take out the jets w/o removing the entire carb from the bike - right?  Smiley   

Yes you can just drop the bowl and get at the jets from underneath, I've done that on the side of the road before.

IP Logged
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/11/21 at 09:51:16

Up and running now!

Thank you Dave for the spot-on advice...a clogged pilot jet was the problem.

Thank you Lancer for the replacement pilot jet!  I dropped the bowl as Yoshi points out....unfortunately I also dropped the dirty jet which then got lost on the bike somewhere and was seriously chewed up before reappearing on the garage floor a few days later!   Shocked

As always, this site is a wealth of helpful folks and information....thanks again!

IP Logged
adri
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/18/21 at 19:21:26

Sometimes I drain, and then I try to drain again a few months later, likewise I recheck my battery pigtails every so often. A little OCD but it helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 19:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting up after a 2-year break.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.