Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggestions on clutch disc (Read 44 times)
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Suggestions on clutch disc
07/30/21 at 00:52:08

Hey gang,
Looking to add two more discs to my stack. The clutch really only slips when you get after it in about the top of third gear you definitely notice it if you’re in the throttle. The Engine RPMs audibly go up, but I don’t feel my behind moving any faster i.e. slipping. I forgot which forum I was in when I read it but I believe you can stack two more discs in there without changing out the whole basket, Or Springs. Any suggestions on brand.

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

Do not fear mistakes, there are none.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Suggestions on clutch disc
Reply #1 - 07/30/21 at 03:42:55

How is your engine modified that your clutch can’t hold? A stock clutch should have no problem with a stock engine.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #2 - 07/30/21 at 03:52:15

Mernin from Nashville, (although I live in Baton Rouge)
When I got it the dude had attempted to Bobbitt and head straight pipe. So I knew the valves weren’t sitting down all the way so I did a valve job which means I just checked the clearances. I took the washer out of the carburetor, idle air screw is accessible. Spark plug, no more dcom solenoid. Clean the carburetor twice. The thing has 13,600 on it…Red flag for me was the owner before me had pop the cover off to access the idle air screw. It just feels like when you really after it what about maybe 5000 RPMs it’s not pulling but the motor is increasing in RPM, also vacuum is blocked off to original petcock. I know, I know, I need to get a raptor one. I have to save my lunch money because the boss gripes at me for spending money on this motorcycle LOL! We will not even talk about her unauthorized purchases because I notice every time I go into the bathroom there’s 49 more bottles of mascara. But that’s a story for another day. Lips Sealed

2000 Savage LS650P. Bobber kit, PWK CARB, air box mod. Rear bearing/spacer mod..

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #3 - 07/30/21 at 04:00:02

As far as I know there’s nothing aftermarket in the motor he just has miles on it and be honest with you I haven’t even knocked the clutch cover off of it like a bonehead, because I wanted to polish the aluminum out first because you know looks over functionality right? It has Valvoline for stroke 1040 in it as well. Also I don’t know what I did with the dang thumbnail for the program that compresses files so we can put them in here I think it started with a P kit

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #4 - 07/30/21 at 04:28:40

Post image I knew those Brain cells were around  there

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/30/21 at 05:14:47

As mentioned, your stock clutch can handle the power of the stock engine without issue.  If yours is slipping - the clutch cable is too tight and needs adjusted, or somebody used the wrong oil in the engine and contaminated the clutch with "friction modifiers" that are in energy conserving oils....or there is something else wrong.  It takes a lot of miles to wear a clutch to the point is will slip from wear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/30/21 at 07:28:31

I'm with Gary and Dave on this one.  I've done a lot of damage to these bikes over the years and haven't seen a clutch issue due to wear.  

The cable however can be knocked out of tolerance much easier, I'd definitely check it.

IP Logged
Theduderino

The dude abides…

Looziana
Reply #7 - 07/30/21 at 15:50:51

OK y’all I appreciate the info. Now I’m currently on the  side of a highway in St. Louis but all I do is talk about my motorcycle while I’m gone so by the time I get home I can pretty much make the old lady move out the way so I can start eliminating things on the motorcycle LOL and because I got the thing for 100 bucks, and now I have it running you already know what she says. You need to sell that so we can pay some stuff off I don’t think so Tim. sorry guys I’m just happy it’s Friday I’ve been on the road for three weeks anyway I adjusted the clutch per the clymer. Utilizing the 2 to 4 mm of FreePlay. But the two lines on the side of the clutch, cover the lever supposed to ride in between those or the bottom down to the bottom I really hear what y’all have to say that book. I don’t believe the belt is slipping, because what’s the adage? If you can turn it 90° in your hand without too much trouble it’s just right? I’ve done that. I’ve change the oil twice with Valvoline four stroke motor oil and filter. Previous to my possession new headset and dude‘s yard covered for probably 2 1/2 years you can literally see the rust line inside the tank where there was fuel when you parked it. Period. Would the exhaust valves opening feel like that though maybe the D cop is out of whack. Because all I did was burn up the controller from trying to start it too much, I bypass that it starts fine and runs fairly decent according to me but that doesn’t mean a whole lot because it’s foreign to me to have a Single cylinder under me, it really feels weird when you’re just loping along at the top of first gear or in the bottom a second just thump thump thump but when I roll the throttle and get into it from there it feels great but when I’m really trying to make about 70 or 75 miles an hour at the top of fifth and I’m hitting it something just isn’t there. I think it might be a fuel issue because I’m not sure about the intelligence of this guy got it from I smell a carb removal again when I get home. Also when I got your attention I would have to have the cylinder board out to put the Wiseco piston in correct I don’t know what the stock size is. Sorry guys I’m just spitball in here but I really like the bike it’s fun…Especially for 100 bucks LOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 01:31:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suggestions on clutch disc

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.