wont idle right (Read 65 times)
norman3516
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
wont idle right
06/28/21 at 14:17:46

hi everyone , i just got a 2007 s40 with 4100 miles on it the other day. it run good when i look it over  and drove it . i drove it today about 25 miles and it ran good , i put gas in it with some seafoam . when i got home i change the oil and filter . when i started it up to get the new oil flowing, it wont idle right now, i turn the idle screw in all the way , and when i start the bike it wont idle right and stalls out with the idle screw screwed in or out . if i hold the throttle open it will run but rough .

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: wont idle right
Reply #1 - 06/28/21 at 16:04:13

check to see if you pulled the vacuum line loose.

WWW   IP Logged
norman3516
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #2 - 06/28/21 at 16:33:14

i read about vacume test and just did it and it still wont idle and it still stalls out . i unhook the gas line and put petcock on prime and gas came right out and then i put it back to on with the gas line still off and started the bike and gas came right out like prime . do you think the seafoam did something

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 06/28/21 at 17:18:14

Sounds like your petcock failed.  But if it ran good why did you put seafoam in it?  Maybe the petcock failed.  

And where did you drain the oil from?  The bottom of the crankcase or the front?  I have to ask because the guy I got one of my bikes from had so much oil in it wouldn't run.

IP Logged
norman3516
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #4 - 06/29/21 at 02:15:07

i dont think its the petcock gas is coming out . please read all my post . ii drain oil from the under the motor in the front where the drain plug is and i put in 20/50 reg. oil and 2.1 qt . i put the seafoam in because the bike has been sitting for awhile and i didnt know how old the gas was from the owner i brought from .

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/29/21 at 07:23:02

We ask these questions because we know where newbs usually screw up.
Please read the following and check yourself.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

WWW   IP Logged
norman3516
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #6 - 06/30/21 at 02:42:00

thanks and yes i read both . i own another s40 3 years ago , well my wife drove it . after that one she moved up to a sportster 883 but she never felt comfortable  on the 883 so we just sold it and got this s40 the other day . i pull off the gas tank yesterday and pulled the spark plug . the plug looked good but i put the new  one in and it still ran the same . i even left the plug out up against the motor and started the bike to make sure there was study spark coming out of the plug .  i think the carb needs cleaning . when i start the bike and hold the throttle open it will run rough and i let it run a few moments and i can smell gas like the all the gas is not getting burned . i got a carb rebuild kit coming today and i`m going to pull it off friday and clean it , hopeful it will solve the problem . the bike is 17 years old with 4100 miles , thats only about 6 miles aweek , so to me its a good chance the carb needs to be cleaned

IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 06/30/21 at 10:05:42

Did you check the vacuum line for fuel and/or apply vacuum? I agree with the others on the petcock. You can try my temporary fix until your Raptor petcock arrives.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
norman3516
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #8 - 07/02/21 at 15:36:45

i took the carb apart today and it was not to bad , the pilot jet was really dirty , alot of black stuff came out when i shot carb cleaner in it .( it idles right now ) the DIAPHRAGM would not slide , if i pushed it up it would stay up and not slide back down so i polish it and now it slides good , i took out the needle and it was missing the spring . the only problem now is it hastate at mid throttle . does anyone if thats a jet ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 00:16:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wont idle right

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.