Send Topic Print
MSF BRC This Weekend (Read 38 times)
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
MSF BRC This Weekend
06/20/21 at 19:21:04

My older daughter (19 next month) has wanted a street bike since before she could drive. My ex and I hoped she'd outgrow this. She didn't. After a Dean's List freshman year of college, and securing funding, saying "no" was very difficult.

Not to mention other factors such as already having a helmet (from our autocrossing), purchasing her own gear (jacket, pants, gloves, boots), and finding a pretty cool CBR 250 with ABS.

The only catch was she enroll in a MSF course. She agreed.

I've wanted to take this course for decades even though I started riding in elementary school. I planned to take it with her but sadly it was full. Especially sad was the fact it's both Father's Day weekend AND my birthday (Monday). I found out tonight one student left the course today without completion. Bah.

Anyway, she (and most kids now) didn't grow up as I did. Just about EVERY kid in my neighborhood had something...a mini bike, go kart, dirt bike...one even had a 3 wheeler. Girls AND boys.

Two weeks (or so) ago was the first time she ever tried to ride a bike. She's only ridden as a passenger a handful of times. She asked me to teach her, as I taught her to drive a car, autox, and a manual. So of course I tried.

But then it struck me: how exactly do you teach someone to ride?

Luckily my improvisation worked well enough and she was soon riding (no throttle) around a parking lot. Honestly, I was thankful she was taking the course as things get a bit more involved in traffic.

The vid is a clip of the first exercise after lunch, day 1 of the range.

https://youtu.be/5x3QiifMHv0

She passed the riding and written test today and simply has to present the waiver to DMV for her license. Smiley

However, she's still very unsure of herself and stayed in 1st gear the entire time. So, I'll be working with her around the neighborhood, etc. to develop her skills and confidence. A father/daughter training day on my birthday.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: MSF BRC This Weekend
Reply #1 - 06/21/21 at 03:29:26

I am 65 - soon to be 66, and I learned to ride in the dirt.  We lived on a farm and had plenty of land to ride on - my best friend also live on a farm and it had an abandoned strip mine on it.   My dirt bike was very durable, and it easily survived me learning how to ride and stay upright.  I learned about slippery wet leaves and braking/cornering, I learned how to properly modulate the front brake for the kind of surface I was riding in, I learned how to brake hard and fast, I learned about all kinds of things that can make you drop a bike in an instant.  As I got better and honed my skills I got to be a good rider and eventually got good enough to enter and win motocross and hare scramble races.

Dirt is pretty forgiving - asphalt and concrete is not!

I watched your video and wondered how people learn to ride on asphalt?  I can't see how anyone can learn to ride well in that environment and not get hurt.  Learning how to ride often involves a screw up or two......and it sure would be nice if that happened on the wet grass or dirt instead of asphalt!

A couple years ago I was riding with another fellow who had loaned his spare motorcycle to his brother.  His brother was a new rider and was doing pretty well - we were down in TN/NC and on the 2nd day or riding we headed to the Tail of the Dragon.  We were going slow and taking it easy - there was no traffic as it was October and barely 40 degrees.........we had the place to ourselves.  The Dragon has lots of pull off areas and I chose one to stop and see how everyone was doing.  I pulled over and came to a gentle stop without even taking notice of the wet leaves on the pavement - it was fall and they were everywhere.  My friend pulled in and likewise made a graceful stop - his brother pulled in and grabbed too much front brake and went down as the front wheel locked up and skidded on the wet leaves.....he had not yet developed the ability to recognize that wet leaves deserve some respect!  (As does loose gravel).

I wish both of you well and hope for the best - and a pain free learning experience.......I just get really nervous when people learn to ride on pavement!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/21/21 at 10:27:28

First of all, Happy Birthday SCS40. I hope you have a great day.

In Texas the MSF is a requirement for getting your motorcycle license. I very much recommend the class for a new rider if it is not a requirement in their state. Dang, I hate to say this but I am almost as old as Dave Grin but have only been riding around 8 years or so. I actually learned to ride in my teens on a friends bike but never really rode much until I finally got a bike 8 years or so ago. I was extremely careful (hopefully I still am) and practiced in the neighborhood and school parking lot and managed to do ok. I did learn the hard way on a ride with Dave and some of the other guys on this site, that at approximately one year or so of having a bike I could not ride as well as the guys that had been riding all their lives. Yep, I took a bit of spill on some twisty road in Tennessee and did a bit of damage to the bike and my ego. Tell your daughter to take her time learning, to practice in the safer places and to always ride at least at a little below what she feels is her skill level. The other thing is  if she decides riding is not for her, there is absolutely no shame in that. God bless you both and may He watch over you two as I feel he does with the rest of us on this site.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 06/21/21 at 18:24:42

Thanks for the kind words, support, and even bday wishes! She's very methodical and has a great neighborhood to practice in. It's huge and almost zero traffic.

I rode over this afternoon for our first dad/daughter ride. She did great but struggled often with starting off on small grades. I trailed and made use of the S40's 4-ways. I asked several times if she was sure it was in 1st gear. She was.

We rode a bit, stopped in a small parking lot with shade, then rode more. I have to say I was very proud to be there for her first taste of street riding. I actually mentioned Dave's story about wet leaves on The Dragon. We haven't done The Dragon, but did recently drive the Moonshiner 28 which ends at The Dragon.

We also discussed both going through the next phase of MSF which is with our own bikes.

About to wrap up, we stopped at a T for a right uphill turn to head home. She tried several times and grew increasingly frustrated, nearly to tears, but the bike continued to stall. I'd already asked about 1st gear.

She put the stand down and dismounted, taking off her helmet, intent to walk home and abandon the bike. I also dismounted and secured my bike, then got on hers.

My first two tries 2 up were stalls. The third was successful with tons of clutch slippage. But barely. The little CBR is torque challenged...and possibly overloaded.

She was in 2nd and yes I should've checked. We figured she was likely in 2nd for at least some of her other struggle starts.

'Twas a nice birthday indeed. And I'm glad to hear TX requires the MSF.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/22/21 at 08:23:09

Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 18:54:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › MSF BRC This Weekend

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.