Fuel mpg (Read 357 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Fuel mpg
Reply #15 - 06/08/21 at 10:59:38

MMRanch, the Northeastern muffler you show is too small.  Once you put a baffle inside it will be too restrictive.  It uses a louvered core which reduces the inside diameter by at least 1/4", possibly 1/2".  You need a 1.75" baffle tube to achieve maximum flow.  That would be 1.75" OD, 1.65" ID.  The area of the cross section outside of the baffle has to be close to the area of the cross section inside of the baffle.

I suggest you try and follow the design I came up with.  Use a 2-1/2" muffler with a perforated core, not a louvered core.  Thrush offers stainless steel glasspacks, and that LCGP unit is fine too.  I bet Walker also has a good stainless steel glasspack selection.  Just make sure the core is perforated, not louvered.

The Northeastern length is also too short.  You really want to use a muffler long enough to accommodate a baffle tube with 216 holes (108 each side of the center plug).  The holes should be 11/64" diameter.  If you stick to that number of holes, and that hole diameter, you will achieve maximum flow with minimum noise.

I spent a lot of time testing and evaluating that LCGP muffler.  Made two versions, one with a 1.5" baffle and one with a 1.75 inch baffle.  Did a bunch of flow tests with my home-brew bench.  The 1.5" version was good but the 1.75" was a lot better.  The final version works really good and it's very quiet.  It absolutely yields improved performance, both acceleration and economy.  I just recently tested it with a stock header pipe on a stock engine and it yielded an 8 mpg improvement, and lots more performance in the acceleration category.  It sounds really good too.

Looks to me like you have all the tools you need to make a sweet muffler.  It's an easy job with a lathe and a welder.  Go for it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 06/08/21 at 18:10:05

Thanks for the reply DragBikeMike .

I did change my order to the 18" + ends version and if I can leave it open (see-through) then all is well with no restriction at all .   I've made the same design as your using a 12" shorty muffler with a 1.25"-ID. middle pipe and white fiberglass 1" wrap in the large dia. muffler area  .  They are quiet .  The white wrap don't last long enough.    But the Factory Glass pack would solve that !  Smiley

Did ya ever figure out where the idea of a little back-pressure is good comes from ?

If I need to make it more quiet then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it , but like the wise + smiley Versey said :

That's a '400' vs a '650' with the same muf.

maybe you have to increase the muf by a third to get the same results?
so 18" instead of a 12"?  

It will be here in a week .  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #17 - 06/21/21 at 20:45:40

MMRanch wrote on 06/05/21 at 21:43:10:
I started keeping track of Kate's (W650) mpg after our Texas ride . Now remember Kate is a under-bore machine with only a 72mm bore - but - a 83mm stroke. So its really easy on fuel.

The last tank of fuel was 93 octane  of real 100%Gas. got me 64.48mpg.   I was in shock/denial --- So , I reset the Garmin Trip set to check the odometer on the bike . Well , the bike showed 17.8 miles while the GPS showed 18.3 miles on the way home from todays outing - so actual mpg would be even higher by a little.

The tank full before that was 89 octane of E-10 that got 59 mpg.

I've been trying to get that kind of mpg from my S-40 for years but haven't ever got more than the high 50's. Is anybody else doing better ?

Looks like you're getting plenty of feedback from much more knowledgeable folk, but I did want to comment on your data. If I'm reading your MPG correctly, E-0 (pure gas) netted you 64.48 and E-10 was 59. Were both tanks similar riding? The same speedo/odo error (looks around 3%, which isn't bad) would be on both tanks.

If those were similar riding conditions, and my math is right, E-0 netted you about 9.5% better mileage. That's pretty amazing, interesting, but not totally shocking considering the industry "narrative" sticks with 3%. This makes me really eager to find out my switch and tracking (started today) will work out.

In addition to the mods suggested, perhaps also switching to E-0 will put you over the top.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 06/23/21 at 11:43:17

MM:

I got to thinking about your mpg issue.

I wonder if you are still using 20W-50 and then adding STP?

That thick mixture could be creating a lot of drag inside your engine.  The ball and roller bearings likely don't care much - but the cam bearings, piston/cylinder and oil pump are likely causing you some losses in HP and MPG.

Enough to make a noticeable difference - I don't know....but I suspect that the reason a lot of modern cars are going to thinner oils is to allow them to increase their MPG numbers.

Why don't you try using the 5W-40 Rotella T-6 next time without adding the STP?

Youzguyz has proven that you don't need any "thickeners" to get high mileage out of a Savage engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 06/23/21 at 21:32:07

Dave - You may be on to something.   How about the Zinc for the tappets ?  

The Guzzi just rolled over 20K-miles and its time to change oil.   The manufacturer recommends 20w-60 , and I could put 10w-40 .    

I'm more likely to play experiment with the Savage.   Smiley

I've got so much to do for the next month , I may be a while getting back to changing mufflers.
The hay cutter tore-up 10 days ago and I just got parts for it today.
The property next door came up for sale and our loan officer led us around for 2 month then quit working for the bank - leaving us without anything -- so we're having to start over with out all the paperwork being returned !   The sellers of the land are growing impatient and I don't blame them.
I'm shopping for a new hay cutter and there ain't anything but the really big dollar stuff left.
I ordered a carport kit ... its been here a week waiting for me to find my round-to-it.
There are numerous holes in the fence up on the hill in the woods and the calves are getting to the exploring stage of life.
And its ridding season so I want to take a ride everyday !  

The muffler may just have to wait a while ?  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/24/21 at 03:49:42

MM:

I would use whatever Suzuki or Moto Guzzi (or Honda or Chevrolet recommends you to use).  They designed the engine to work with a specific range of viscosity.  If Moto Guzzi recommends 20W-60 - then the inside of their engine has clearances that require that oil viscosity.......if the builder wants 0W-20 you know the clearances are much tighter and designed to work with the thinner oil.  Adding STP changes the viscosity and you no longer have what the manufacturer designed for.

Rotella T has enough ZDDP for the Savage and currently you don't need to add any additional ZDDP.  Youzguyz is still running his original cam and rockers at 212,000 miles, and I don't believe he has ever added supplemental ZDDP.  A few years ago the forum's experimented with adding ZDDP turned out to be a bit of overkill and unnecessary with a proper oil - and the Redline ZDDP was costly and it would get a pink sludge in the bottom of the bottle soon after it was opened.  Once the pink sludge formed in the bottle we had no idea if you could still get any benefits from adding it.  When you use an oil with 1,000 ppm or more of ZDDP you don't need to add any additional ZDDP.  Rotella and Mobil 1 have proven to be good oils in the Savage and they don't need any additives (STP or ZDDP).
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/auto-care/all-about...

I have attached the chart for the LS650 oil viscosity that Suzuki recommends.  There are a lot of options and although they are all listed - that doesn't mean they will all perform identically.  The 20W-50 is listed - but it will be thicker and require more energy from the engine.

I would stick with the recommended 20W-60 in the Guzzi, and use a 15W-40 or 5W-40 oil in the Savage.  (The 5W number being smaller than the 15W is actually a good thing - as that value shows the oil will allow the engine to start easier when it is 32 degrees......while the viscosity at operating temperature (212 degrees) is the same 40 weight).    

OilChart.png

IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #21 - 06/24/21 at 04:21:58

Well darn. I saw the post on oil recommendations and additives and just went with Redline. I guess I’ll be short changing to M1. :/

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 06/24/21 at 06:32:10

Just looking at the information , it would be logical to only use 10w50.  

But

You say 10w30 would be better and easier for the engine to pump around ?

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 06/24/21 at 07:11:06

Rotella 5w40 is ideal if you want a full synthetic that has enough ZDDP in it.    Remember, the full synthetics do not thin down with heat like a dino oil will do.

If you prefer dino oil Rotella 15w40 with enough ZDDP in it is your huckleberry ......

Both kinds of Rotella are sold at your local Walmart.

Please don't get confused when people are talking to MM, he runs MotoGuzzi's that use antique Italian oil ratings and he likes his odd oil treatments to go with it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 06/24/21 at 09:26:59

MMRanch wrote on 06/24/21 at 06:32:10:
Just looking at the information , it would be logical to only use 10w50.  

But

You say 10w30 would be better and easier for the engine to pump around ?

10W-30 is only recommended up to 86 degrees - you and I often ride when it is up into the 90's.

10W-50 is going to get you back into the oil that is thick......yes you can use it - but it is not necessary to use an oil that stays that thick.

I keep suggesting 5W-40 or 15W-40!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 06/24/21 at 13:05:14

So , I need to give 5w40 a try and see if the MPG goes up.    I've got the LS650 in the shop now waiting for a rainny day to play with the new muffler !   Wink

I'm planning to try the muffler as is first and hope its long enough to be sort of quiet ?  

That looks like -0-  "ZERO" -- back pressure to me , that hole in the middle is a big inch !   Smiley

« Last Edit: 06/25/21 at 06:42:08 by MMRanch »  

SS2x3_5inchMuffler_001.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 06/28/21 at 21:01:02

Hay , I tried that new muffler to day.

I was really surprised how quiet it is !  

It is 18" long , made of stainless steel , the hole is 1.25" strait through for zero back pressure.   It has a 2 inch ends on it and a 3.5 inch body .    It also gets too close to the rear foot peg ... so ... I'm getting the 3 inch body model and putting a heat shield on it.

I would have expected a lot more noise , but like Versey said :

refering to the 12' mufflers on the 883 sportster

That's a '400' vs a '650' with the same muf.

maybe you have to increase the muffer by a third to get the same results?  

I just ordered the 1.75" version of the same muffler 18 inches long , the hole in the middle can be one inch and still zero back pressure I think.   It should be here in a week , I'll let ya'll know how it works .  Smiley

3inch_x_18inch_muffler.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 07/01/21 at 04:55:09

This guy explains oil viscosity very well.

He discusses the efficiency allowed by using thinner oils - I am surprised at how little difference it is estimated to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdhgKUZhPA

IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #28 - 07/01/21 at 06:20:10

Great YouTube channel.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 07/01/21 at 08:13:20

Watched two of his video's ,  WoW !   a gallon of gas has a lot of energy !

My new hay cutter is being delivered today !   Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 19:22:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fuel mpg

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.