Fuel mpg (Read 357 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Fuel mpg
06/05/21 at 21:43:10

I started keeping track of Kate's (W650) mpg after our Texas ride .    Now remember Kate is a under-bore machine with only a 72mm bore - but - a 83mm stroke.   So its really easy on fuel.

The last tank of fuel was 93 octane  of real 100%Gas. got me 64.48mpg.   I was in shock/denial --- So , I reset the Garmin Trip set to check the odometer on the bike .   Well , the bike showed 17.8 miles while the GPS showed 18.3 miles on the way home from todays outing - so actual mpg would be even higher by a little.
The tank full before that was 89 octane of E-10 that got 59 mpg.

I've been trying to get that kind of mpg from my S-40 for years but haven't ever got more than the high 50's.   Is anybody else doing better ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Fuel mpg
Reply #1 - 06/06/21 at 03:46:58

If I ride my Cafe' bike nice and gentle - I can get up into the mid 60's.  On rides in the mountains playing Hooligan I have gotten as little as 48mpg.  I have a Wiseco piston, tall gearing and the bike is light.

You have a windshield and saddlebags - those are very likely going to reduce the mpg as the wind resistance is increased.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 06/06/21 at 13:43:38

Dave wrote on 06/06/21 at 03:46:58:
If I ride my Cafe' bike nice and gentle - I can get up into the mid 60's.  On rides in the mountains playing Hooligan I have gotten as little as 48mpg.  I have a Wiseco piston, tall gearing and the bike is light.

You have a windshield and saddlebags - those are very likely going to reduce the mpg as the wind resistance is increased.

That’s for sure Dave, as the Savage approaches Mach 1 the parasitic drag increases exponentially. 😎🏍

« Last Edit: 06/08/21 at 12:23:36 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 06/06/21 at 15:14:21

MMRanch, sounds like that big Kawasaki is running real good.  Do you happen to know how much it weighs?  The bore/stroke (87%) is interesting.  Reminds me a bit of a Harley (Big Twin Evo is 3.5 x 4.25 or 82%).  Does it have carburetors or is it injected?

Regarding the LS fuel mileage, I've started to keep track of it for my projects.  All stock I get about 55mpg.  With a free flowing airbox and exhaust I've been running about 65mpg.  With Lancer's souped up flat-top piston and a bunch of mods it routinely yields low 70s, usually about 72mpg.  That piston really gets the job done.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 06/06/21 at 20:51:22

that big Kawasaki    

Grin

It totals 676cc , and is lean running .   The EPA would "LOVE" me !   Roll Eyes  If Kate was any leaner it might lope down the road like a horse.   Its carbureted (34mm-?) with CV's * 2 and four valves per cylinder .    Its the 2000 W650  , I recused it from a barn last fall.

So

How do I get my S-40 over 60 mpg ?   Huh

If I take the air box out and put a air breather on like this one.   A pair of these are on Kate now , I got tired of taking the air box out every-time to tweak the carburates
What about keeping the noise low and having a free muffler , any good ideas ?

W_air_filter_001.png

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/07/21 at 03:43:25

MMRanch wrote on 06/06/21 at 20:51:22:
How do I get my S-40 over 60 mpg ?   Huh

Step 1 - Remove the windshield and saddlebags.  Those are displacing a lot of wind.  (Just kidding as I know this is a touring bike......however those items do have a big effect on the mpg you can achieve).

Step 2 - Read DragBikeMikes muffler thread.  You currently have a baffle in a very small pipe - I am sure it is restrictive.  DragBikeMikes best muffler had a perforated pipe inside a glass pack.  The perforated pipe has good flow and minimal resistance - the glass pack soaks up the noise.  The parts to build this are pretty cheap.  You have a lathe and welder and you could make this muffler easily.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1609379913
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203354099219?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f58d94e13:...

Step 3 - Try jetting your carb.  I have spent many hours riding behind your bike, and my sense of smell has never detected an overly rich fuel mixture (I have ridden behind a few poorly jetted Savage motorcycles and I can smell the rich exhaust).  I believe the slide needle setting is the most important for achieving good mpg during steady cruising......try lowering your needle a little bit after you get a better muffler installed.

Step 5 - Get a new and improved Wiseco piston!  The things that improve performance and acceleration are not always related to the mpg while cruising.  The needed flow while running at wide open throttle may be drastically different at partial throttle when you are running far less air through the engine.  A piston however can make for an improvement that works at any rpm or throttle setting.

Step 5 - Lower your expectations!  If I ride my Savage with a bunch of old fellows who never pass a car, always ride 10 mph below the speed limit and slow down for every corner - I can get over 60 mpg on my Cafe Savage.  The bike has a high compression Wiseco and I have used an Oxygen sensor to jet the carb.....I know I am running with a good fuel/air mixture.  My fuel injected bikes with windshields and saddlebags show around 55mpg - they are using the fuel properly and the air resistance just doesn't provide for a way to get better mpg (unless I ride really slowly).....I think that 55mpg is a reasonable for a bike with a windshield and luggage and riding at the speed limits.      

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 06/07/21 at 09:35:03

OK

Thanks Dave and DragBikeMike , I'm ordering this 2" muffler .    Its a little longer than the 12" shorty I have now and I hope its not really LOUD ?     It is made out of SS so here goes one step at a time !  Roll Eyes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193483298835?_trkparms=aid%3D1110010%26algo%3DHOMESP...

SS2x3_5inchMuffler.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 06/07/21 at 09:47:09

outside :

Now going after a shinny "Heat-Shield"  Wink

SS_LowDragMuffle.jpg

sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #8 - 06/07/21 at 11:33:35

In looking over my Fuelly history for the S40: https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/s40_boulevard/2006/sjaskow/19052, it appears that most of my 60+ MPG tanks were on trips on two-lanes where the speed limit was 55 or under. If I did 4-lanes or interstate, high 40s weren't that uncommon.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/07/21 at 13:47:01

MMRanch wrote on 06/07/21 at 09:35:03:
OK

Thanks Dave and DragBikeMike , I'm ordering this 2" muffler .    Its a little longer than the 12" shorty I have now and I hope its not really LOUD ?     It is made out of SS so here goes one step at a time !  Roll Eyes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193483298835?_trkparms=aid%3D1110010%26algo%3DHOMESP...

Mike:

In order to quiet it down - you need to be able to insert a perforated pipe inside the glasspack.  Just having a glass pack without the center core will guarantee is will be loud.  DragBikeMike used a 2.5" inside diameter and proved it works...you have reduced the ID to 2" - that doesn't give you much room for the perforated core.

I have some 1.5" perforated core I can send you.  Do you want me to weld the center blocking plate into the core before I mail it....or do you want to do that?
« Last Edit: 06/07/21 at 16:45:26 by Dave »  

IMG_8336.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 06/07/21 at 22:17:05

Hay thanks Dave !  

I've got some of that SS stock , but mine is a flat sheet.   The guts in my 12" shorty is set-up like the diagram  (some what).  Its got a 1.25" going from the header into the muffler 80% through - solid block with 1/8" bleed holes for 2" then a 2" solid pickup forcing the gas to do a 180 deg. , to the start of the 2.5" dia. where it gets the full dia. of the muffler to reverse directions again and  go to the exit..   That center  1.25" pipe must glow red when the throttle is open !  Grin  I'm sure the 12" shorty I'm using now has some back-pressure at open throttle but very little back pressure at normal throttle.   It got 56 mpg on todays fill up after putt-putt-ing around at +-50/60mph with 89 mid grade E10%.    I'm thinking the motor was designed when 89% was normal regular and mine works good on it.   But we have to want more all the  time !  Smiley

I'm trying to get away from a solid block in the middle of the muffler if possible ?    So , let me get back with ya on the insert after a trial week of just muffler.    If it does need a solid block in the middle then what do ya think about a 1/2 length SS mesh gas pick-up coming from the rear that is a loose fit inside the muffler guts with a 50-70% block in mid pipe.   I'm going on assuming the gasses are cooler/smaller at the rear of the muffler than the front of the muffler.

From making my own muffler guts , I've found that a big group of 1/8" holes are quieter than a few 1/4" holes , and that mid muffler blocks are quiet without the hole in the washer.

something like this coming from the rear of the muffler , but longer/bigger dia. with smaller holes.
« Last Edit: 06/08/21 at 07:07:42 by MMRanch »  

DB_killer_001.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/08/21 at 03:01:26

Mike:

What you are basically doing is the back half of the DragBikeMuffler.

It might work - I am not sue how durable it will be if the front of the inner pipe/baffle is not supported.

Those small baffle inserts you show will create a lot of back pressure - you need a lot of holes to get the exhaust flow of big single moving through without creating a lot of pressure.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 06/08/21 at 07:27:29

You know exaust flow can be a fickled thing to deal with .   On that HD 883  I had the factory rear muffler stopped up when the muffler guts melted in the front part .
So
I put a pair of 12" shorties on it.  They were quiet with only the factory guts in them.    That same muffler on the S-40 w/factory guts is crazy loud !  Embarrassed
Sometimes
Ya , just don't know till ya try !  Smiley

I wonder if the smaller exit hole had anything to do with it ?    A exit the same dia. as the inside of the header would be free flowing.   The gases are cooler at exit so maybe even a little smaller exit would be OK. ? Undecided

Remember seeing the "Fish-Tail" muffler exits .  Grin

I could do a down-turn exit and bounce the noise off the road for the world to hear ! and keep the rain out too  Huh

Those small baffle inserts you show will create a lot of back pressure

Dave , I can make my own with the same size dia. pickup pipe as the inside of the header pipe , and use steel instead of tin.  Cool

I hope the muffler with a down turn will be quiet and free flowing enough ?

0217171700b_002.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 06/08/21 at 08:32:06

Hay ,Thinking of "Exit Dia."  does anybody remember these ?

snuff_or_not.jpg

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/08/21 at 09:45:31

MMRanch wrote on 06/08/21 at 07:27:29:
So
I put a pair of 12" shorties on it.  They were quiet with only the factory guts in them.    That same muffler on the S-40 w/factory guts is crazy loud !  Embarrassed

That's a '400' vs a '650' with the same muf.

maybe you have to increase the muf by a third to get the same results?
so 18" instead of a 12"?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 08:12:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fuel mpg

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.