Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pssst, Suzuki, you missed another opportunity! (Read 111 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Pssst, Suzuki, you missed another opportunity!
05/31/21 at 01:34:57

https://www.rideapart.com/news/510336/mash-650-six-hundred-classic/

I guess I shouldn't keep harping on this, but it's fun!
Cheers!  Cool Cool

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Re: Pssst, Suzuki, you missed another opportunity!
Reply #1 - 05/31/21 at 07:32:13

Chinese bikes imported into various countries by a mix of companies. Powersports Outlet in Prescott used to carry them(might still do so). Seemed to me to be fairly decent. Ride fast, far, and often and God Bless all.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/31/21 at 07:43:31

That is excellent!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 05/31/21 at 19:08:58

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/31/21 at 23:47:13

Undecided    Suzuki as a brand isn't hitting on very much any more, and I find that quite quite sad .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/01/21 at 03:29:41

I wonder if all the brands are suffering a bit.  It seems they all are just a bit stagnant in what they have to offer.  Perhaps the strict noise and emission regulations have made it too costly to get creative as each new model is expensive to get certified - perhaps the current market is not strong enough to create a market for new models - perhaps the world epidemic has just put too many designers/laborers out of work and they can't design and build them.

I have reached a point in my life where I really don't need any additional motorcycles.  The last "new" motorcycle I bought was a 2009 Sherco trials motorcycle.........prior to that the last new bike was a 1974 Suzuki TM125.  I doubt that my habit of buying used motorcycles helps the dealers and manufacturers to stay in business.

It seems that the world market for a large single cylinder street bikes is small - the countries that buy singles in large quantities want small bikes (India, China, Indonesia).  When Royal Enfield had to bring their bikes up to the EU standards - the 500 Bullet was dropped, as they sold 10 times more of the 350's.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/01/21 at 09:36:23

I juste think that im getting old.. becuse I dont like any of the new bikes, they sell today!
Soo, I probably get stuck to my Savage and try to preserv it as long as I can take a ride.

Its this, Im retired, Im single, I often ride alone on those old roads that bikers like to ride, and I stop at those places that bikers often stop.

IE.. Im a retro guy that like retro bikes!

And some lyrics to that.. "Im seaching for a heart of gold.. but Im gettin old"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OrofA5U-lY

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 06/01/21 at 12:28:03

So , when America gets to $6.00 gas then we might get new shinny motorcycle ?  Huh

I think the success of the RE 650 twin with its shinny instead of blacked out look might help the other companies see the light a little.   Even the new Honda 350 with its NICE LINES would be great in a America size motor.    

Maybe it will take $8.00 gas to make it happen , but I'm sure Biden and Harris are working on that ?   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 06/01/21 at 18:08:05

FYI

Suzuki completely pulled out of Pro Motocross over the past five years and they don't not have any supported riders as of 2021.  

They farmed out their AMA factory backed race team back in 2011 to Joe Gibbs Racing.  They provided factory level support to the successful JGR program, but they pulled out completely in 2021.  

This follows them pulling out of FIM MXGP Racing in 2017 and the Japanese National series, which was traditionally used for testing and development around the same time period.  This means that Suzuki is no longer developing their MX lineup and essentially pulling out of the market.  They still sell three motocross bikes but they really haven't updated them in 3-4 years  and they are selling them at a discount.   (KTM has around 15 models in it's motocross lineup! )

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/01/21 at 18:26:48

Zepp wrote on 06/01/21 at 09:36:23:
I juste think that im getting old.. becuse I dont like any of the new bikes, they sell today!

IE.. Im a retro guy that like retro bikes!

Well- unfortunately there just aren't enough of us to warrant the big companies to make a nice retro bike (The Kawasaki W800 might be the exception....and I am not sure how well that is selling).

Honda made a nice looking retro CB1100 - it didn't sell well.
https://infomoto.com.au/features/why-the-honda-cb1100-comeback-failed-showroom-f
lops/

i really don't want an inline 4 cylinder and the complexity and weight that go along with it - I am happy with 1 or 2 cylinders on my motorcycles.  A few years ago I was thinking a Honda CB500F was a no-nonsense mid size bike that likely could do anything I wanted with reliability and affordability - but I hated the looks.  If Honda had put a CB500 twin engine (or any twin up to 800cc) into a chassis that looked like the CB1100 - I might own one today!    

Honda-CB1100-EX-L3qtr.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 06/01/21 at 18:38:56

Dave I think you make a good point that probably is the reason the retro bikes we have been given have mostly failed.  They are either too big, too expensive or not quite big enough.

The ideal retro bike should be not too small or not too big.  They shouldn't be overly complex or overly expensive.  I think the RE 650 twins are the first bike available in the US that hits those marks and I wonder what could have been if Kawasaki had stuck with the less expensive and much cooler W650 instead of giving up on it so soon.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 06/02/21 at 00:55:17

It's 2021, I'm old, I'm not buying anything with tube tires!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 06/13/21 at 20:48:59

That Kawa w650 is a beautiful bike. Can't believe it didn't sell well. Of course I never bought one. Like most of the rest here; I've not bought a new bike in a very long time. So I'm not much help either!
I'm kinda biked up with 3 in the shed right now.
Two singles and a triple.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 06/13/21 at 22:06:19

Hay guys , I've got a W650 (2000) that I bought when I was aggravated with my Guzzi V-7 .   But now that the Guzzi is not aggravating anymore I don't need two bikes so much alike.   The Wife likes the Corbin seat on the Guzzi ...

So

I've got a W650 for sale :  
Its got less that 20k miles on it and I've still got all the original parts except that Kawasaki tank emblem.
I'll have to have $3500 for it to brake even .
The Dunlop K-70 on the back is about gone and I've got a new tire for it already but am stretching the last few miles out of the K-70 before replacing it.  
I found it sitting is a lean-to in Southern Ky last summer and put carb kits in it , new tires , and was planning on keeping it to replace the Guzzi.
But now ... its the third bike and needs a new home.

new tire , the rear one , current front - look up the METZELER PERFECT ME11 FRONT TIRE rib tread (good on rain groves).  Smiley

C_TwinsPaint.png

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:20:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pssst, Suzuki, you missed another opportunity!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.