Send Topic Print
86 Savage (Read 91 times)
Noahayephotography
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

86 Savage
05/22/21 at 18:48:54

Hey guys, bought an 86 Suzuki Savage with >5000 miles from a buddy, problem is even though I am pretty comfortable as a shade tree mechanic with cars, I've never worked on a bike and I am missing some parts from the bottom casing.  I hooked a battery up just to see what would work and all the lights, signals, horn, and even starter are in great working order.  

That being said I can physically see the starter turn because there is no casing on it, it sat for 7+ years and I don't know what could of rotted, and being new to bikes I don't know what parts I even need to order for this, also a lot of the bike is already disassembled, I know there is hardware missing.

I'd love some opinions on replace/ refurbish with parts (keeping cost in minds), first maintenance things I should do (I already know about the rotella <3), if anyone has an engine for sale, or if anyone with experience lives near Charlotte NC and wouldn't mind showing me the ropes of Savage ownership.  

Thanks again, pics below.

8B27C70F-9230-4E2B-AA47-710D589EF16F_1_105_c.jpeg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: 86 Savage
Reply #1 - 05/22/21 at 19:11:52

Congratulations, you have the opportunity to have some fun and learn a lot.

You might also spend a lot of money...more than the bike is worth, and...

still might not have a running bike.

Hopefully you didn't pay your "friend" much above "free".  Smiley

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 05/22/21 at 19:21:02

Sorry, didn't mean to come off wrong, but the best lesson here is to never buy something in pieces if when it is easy and affordable to buy one that is complete.

Anyway...

Welcome. You have come to the right place.  People on here are really helpful on here.  Good luck no matter what you decide to do.  

My best advice is to part it out and look for something that runs on craigslist.  Or maybe get a complete Savage so you can see what all is missing.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 05/22/21 at 19:53:30

darn! A 86' with what looks like a orignal front tire! And it is still holding air!

IP Logged
Noahayephotography
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/22/21 at 21:11:54

@ohiomoto

No worries, only paid $200 for it so it still feels like a good deal, you didn't come off wrong either.  

And honestly everything seems in good working order (minus the in pieces motor) so worst case scenario I swap it in with an s40 5 speed and take it to a bike mechanic for the little tedious stuff.  

Thanks for the replies anyway!

IP Logged
Noahayephotography
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/22/21 at 21:13:35

@badwolf

It is still holding air! one of the reasons I got the bike was it seemed almost whole and intact, with matching Vin from frame and motor, and nearly all original parts, I do worry about a rebuild though because for cheaper I could probably just buy a new motor and swap it in.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/23/21 at 03:32:21

Well the price is acceptable......I often wonder how low mileage bikes get into this kind of disrepair?

It is difficult to reassemble something that you buy as a basket case, especially when you have never worked on one before or witnessed it coming apart.

Getting a Clymer manual will definitely help you to see how things fit together.

There are a few things unique about the 86 that may create some issues for getting the correct parts.  If you are missing the left engine cover - you need to obtain an early replacement that has the correct wiring connector and correct location for the ignition sensor.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/23/21 at 09:48:14

Although I've never seen an '86 I don't believe the connectors or timing sensor location have ever changed.
Only the rotor and TCI have changed after '88.

Whatever you do, I would flush out the sump.
And I would look into doing the starter torque limiter upgrade.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

And check your cam chain!

WWW   IP Logged
Noahayephotography
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/24/21 at 09:41:18

@ Dave

To me, for the price, it definitely felt worth it, worst case scenario I tear it down for a part out and at least get more familiar with Motorcycles.  

Will definitely check out a Clymer manual.  

That was what I was worried about, I saw some engine covers for sale but they were all newer.  I know manufacturers have a tendency to make small changes/ improvements over the years, definitely starting to lean towards a part out or whole engine swap.  

Thanks for the reply!

IP Logged
Noahayephotography
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/24/21 at 09:52:57

@verslagen1

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked out the starter upgrade, could you link to the cam chain thread?

will definitely be doing more research, I know this is a project that will take more time and money than I want.  

Thanks again for the reply!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/24/21 at 09:59:02

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 05/31/21 at 13:56:08

You're quite a ways from trying to crank it over, but do some reading before you try.  If it sat for 7+ years, you'll want to pour some oil in the spark plug hole, or use fogging oil at the least.  I've never done that, but have read a few posts on here from the amazing experts that contribute to this site.  
Even if you part it out, look for another Savage or S40 to ride and work on.  They're great bikes.  I've put over 20K on mine and plenty of guys on here have much higher mileage bikes.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 22:37:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 86 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.