Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb Issue or Something Else? (Read 112 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Carb Issue or Something Else?
Reply #15 - 04/15/21 at 12:47:38

You not only have difficulty shifting into from 2nd to 1st, but you also can't find 5th gear.  On my bike, 5th is the easiest gear to engage.  It's the only gear that is consistently buttery smooth.  I wouldn't rule out the possibility of having an early model four-speed engine swapped in.  It's easy to spray paint an engine black.  It should be a simple matter to check.  

One option for checking to see if it is a four speed model is to remove the alternator cover and see if it has a starter idle gear limiter assembly.  Anyone have any ideas on an easier way to check if it's an old four-speed engine?  Ruttly, are you saying that the frame number and engine number should agree?

By all means remove that shift indicator gizmo.  Do it carefully, you might want to reinstall it later.  Try to figure out who makes the indicator and what model it is, then google the manufacturer to see if you can get a PDF of the installation instructions.  Take some pictures of it so we can see what you are wrestling with.

If it shifts correctly with that indicator removed then you know what the problem is.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Aerodynamic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/15/21 at 12:59:49

ohiomoto wrote on 04/15/21 at 11:46:31:
Areo...

You don't need a JIS screwdriver to change the petcock (just a 10mm wrench) and YOU ARE NOT GOING TO TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE until you have the petcock replaced.  

Once replaced, you'll test ride it.  If the stalling issues are solved great.  If not, we'll tell you what to do next (and it will involve the JIS screwdriver.)

One thing at a time.  Trust me on this.

Okay. Don't worry you guys have my full trust - I'm just literally the type of city boy that has never really turned a wrench before. Not kidding. I was putting together a list of the tools I'd need. I found some videos on Youtube detailing the petcock change, so I'm using those + the guide on the forum...should be done in 4 days when the petcock arrives. I'll post an update then.

For the discussion on 5th gear - it exists. I've been in it before (2019). What I noticed was that no matter how hard the engine is going, I can't shift up from 4th into 5th anymore (2020). So I was stuck barely doing 50mph on the freeway while everybody else was zooming by at 60. Felt pretty dangerous among other things.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 04/15/21 at 13:53:06

Go to Lowes and get a tool kit. They have kits from $99 to $250. The ones that come in an organized box are nice (I'll link one below) because it's easy to see what's missing and what you have to look for on the ground. Good tools are an investment for life. Cheap tools will just piss you off. Also...avoid using 12-point sockets, especially for removing nuts/bolts (they're OK for installing low torque items). Only use 6-point sockets and wrenches for removing nuts and bolts. Speaking of torque, I torque everything to factory specification, and I never have to deal with stuck or lost fasteners. I linked a torque wrench as well. Never use a torque wrench to remove a nut...only tighten.

This is the advice I got 40 years ago...and I still have those same tools (I've added a ton more over the years). 40 years of service...that's an investment.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-286-Piece-Mechanic-s-Hand-Tool-Set-in-4-Drawe...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-3-8-in-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench-20-ft-lb-to-...

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/15/21 at 14:44:51

Aerodynamic wrote on 04/14/21 at 12:42:09:
I'm a complete amateur at repair and not much better at riding, so I'll do my best to describe the issues as accurately and detailed as possible. Hoping to get help on diagnosis before moving on to repair. It's a 2002 model, bought it in May 2019.

Engine Issues:

- Will lose power during operation. Engine/thrust will start sputtering unevenly before the bike dies and I'm free rolling down the road/highway.

- Difficulty starting the bike at times, even in relatively warm weather. Need to give it some throttle but it'll die back down once throttle is off.

- Bad gas mileage, and needs to be refilled before the tank is even half empty. Switching between PRI, Reserve, and ON does nothing to alleviate the problem.

- Lots of backfiring, especially when I turn off the engine. Tends to be one loud bang.

- Apparently 5th gear doesn't work anymore

I've been told it's most likely the carbs that need cleaning or even syncing, potentially the spark plugs and air filter as well.

Other problems:

- Gear shifter gets stuck sometimes. Like you need to stomp it before it changes, usually from 2nd down to 1st.

- Speedometer & odometer stopped working. I noticed the cable got disconnected from the front axle. Reattaching it did nothing.

Thanks in advance veteran riders.

Welcome to this forum att first and congratulations to your bike!
The bike looks great, but it seams to have needed some more love and maintace from former owners, probably the last one?

Its a carburator bike.. and there is a vacum petkock, if you leave it for some days, the carburator is dried out, evaporating moste of the gas.

Its how it should operate, perticuly in warmer climates, use the choke, take three short burst of starting.
One need to fill the carburator at first.

" Will lose power during operation. Engine/thrust will start sputtering unevenly before the bike dies and I'm free rolling down the road/highway."

Bad petrol, long time staying, dryed out carburator that left some residues in there, rust in the tank, clogged petcock, cracks in the vacum tube.

In any way, thats is exactualy how my bike peformed ones I had to drive home, after buying it,  and even at the first trip to my local MC-shop to let them put on new tires and new oil and filter.

" Apparently 5th gear doesn't work anymore"

In the begining I altso had problems to get to the 5th gear!

Soo.. welcome to the biker world.. its not at al like automatic transmissions!
Its about to learn how to use clutch, gashandel and the gear shift!
One need to get use to ones bike and to get the right revs of the engin before one could put in the 5th gear!

I still do a double extra long stroke to be sure, for the 5th gear.

And to all other gear shifting issue, one have to be a biker at first, used to do it manualy, using the gas handel/clutch to have the appropriate revs for shifting to another gear.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 21:29:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Issue or Something Else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.