Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb Issue or Something Else? (Read 112 times)
Aerodynamic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Issue or Something Else?
04/14/21 at 12:42:09

I'm a complete amateur at repair and not much better at riding, so I'll do my best to describe the issues as accurately and detailed as possible. Hoping to get help on diagnosis before moving on to repair. It's a 2002 model, bought it in May 2019.

Engine Issues:

- Will lose power during operation. Engine/thrust will start sputtering unevenly before the bike dies and I'm free rolling down the road/highway.

- Difficulty starting the bike at times, even in relatively warm weather. Need to give it some throttle but it'll die back down once throttle is off.

- Bad gas mileage, and needs to be refilled before the tank is even half empty. Switching between PRI, Reserve, and ON does nothing to alleviate the problem.

- Lots of backfiring, especially when I turn off the engine. Tends to be one loud bang.

- Apparently 5th gear doesn't work anymore

I've been told it's most likely the carbs that need cleaning or even syncing, potentially the spark plugs and air filter as well.

Other problems:

- Gear shifter gets stuck sometimes. Like you need to stomp it before it changes, usually from 2nd down to 1st.

- Speedometer & odometer stopped working. I noticed the cable got disconnected from the front axle. Reattaching it did nothing.

Thanks in advance veteran riders.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Carb Issue or Something Else?
Reply #1 - 04/14/21 at 16:32:06

The speedometer on a stock bike doesn't attach at the front wheel.  Is this bike modified?

The shift lever linkage is most likely bent.  If you keep stomping on it with will break and you'll be riding home in first or second gear.  You might be able to see it from underneath the bike.  Replace it.

Some backfiring is "normal" for this bike. Don't worry too much about them yet.  And don't worry about your carb just yet either. You have bigger fish to fry.  (You should only have 1 carb and 1 spark plug.  Are you sure you have the right forum?)

As for the rest of your problems they will likely be solved by replacing the fuel petcock.  Most of us prefer a Yamaha Raptor petcock.  You should also make sure there isn't any gas in your oil.  If in doubt, change it.

Start with that and then we can try and tackle any remaining issues.

It might help if you can attach some pictures or the bike.  

IP Logged
Aerodynamic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/14/21 at 19:33:56

I don't know if it's been modified, but I'm guessing it's pretty stock.

I will look into the shift lever linkage thing - how do I know whether it's bent or not? Or is it the type of fix you just do?

I didn't know the bike only has one spark plug. Complete noob with the mechanical side of things, sorry about that.

I saw the post about the Raptor petcock - I will try replacing it. It's going to blow my mind if that was the one thing causing all these mechanical operation problems. To be frank I've never done an oil change on it, so I will get that done ASAP as well.

Picture was attached; I will report back in a few days once I get the oil change and petcock fix done. If you want me to post certain angles of the bike, just let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Bike_Picture.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 04/14/21 at 20:02:02

The bike looks stock.

The speedometer cable is attached to the transmision.  It's one of the two cables located on the right side just in front of the battery box.  The one towards the back (closest to the battery) is the clutch cable. The one towards the front is for the speedo. It attaches to the speedo under the tank and is probably disconnected or broken.    You'll likely find out when you replace the petcock.

It's probably safe to assume the shift linkage is bent.  They aren't expensive.  You can look for it on a site like Partzia.

The petcok issues are pretty much excatly like you described.  Start there.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/15/21 at 03:31:00

I can see in the photo that the speedometer cable is attached to the engine case - is it possible that you removed the front brake cable is what you reattached?  Does the front brake work when you squeeze the right side handlebar lever?

Has this bike been in this condition since you bought it in 2019?

The shift lever may need to be taken apart and cleaned/greased as well as looking at the rod that connects the shift lever to the transmission.  (Take a photo of the little rod at the bottom of the left side of the engine for us.....there should be a "straight" rod a little smaller than a pencil that connects the two together).

I believe it would be a great idea for you to buy a Clymer repair manual that will help you to understand how to work on this bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Aerodynamic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/15/21 at 09:34:21

I attached a picture of the engine. If it's a bad angle let me know and I'll take a better shot.

I haven't done anything to the bike since getting it. Barely rode it after 2019 due to the recurring engine issues; last long ride was 15 miles to the beach and back in June last year (died 4 times on freeway during the return trip). Gonna take a couple days for the yamaha petcock to arrive (and like two weeks for the JIS screwdriver I ordered). Will do an oil change in the meantime.

Front brake definitely works. I rode around the block a few times a week ago. As for speedometer, turns out I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to cables - but there is something loose below the engine block (some small cable hanging down).

There is also a gear indicator on this bike that I came to realize is probably not stock. I want to get rid of it since it's not always correct, but could it be affecting the shifting issues?

As for manual, I thought I could just go off the online resources posted on the site. I downloaded the owner's manual.

Engine_Pic.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/15/21 at 10:04:03

Shifting takes a bit of finesse, and at times you'll find yourself stuck.

Don't panic and start stomping on it, it will only get worse.

The trick is to apply a little bit of pressure in the way you want to go then ease the clutch in.

And if you can't get into 5th gear the shift arm on the case maybe in the wrong location or someone bent the link.  The shift arm should be pointing straight down.  The should be a center punch mark where the split is.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/15/21 at 11:33:23

I wonder if someone put a four speed engine in it. Check your frame and engine serial numbers.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 04/15/21 at 11:41:39

Come on Ruttly, Let's not confuse the issues.  The engine clearly has the black OEM paint job of a newer 5-speed unit.   Did you not get your morning coffee yet??   Grin

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 04/15/21 at 11:46:31

Areo...

You don't need a JIS screwdriver to change the petcock (just a 10mm wrench) and YOU ARE NOT GOING TO TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE until you have the petcock replaced.  

Once replaced, you'll test ride it.  If the stalling issues are solved great.  If not, we'll tell you what to do next (and it will involve the JIS screwdriver.)

One thing at a time.  Trust me on this.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 04/15/21 at 12:17:42

This may help clarify Verslagen's comment regarding the position of the gear shift link arm.  Later models of the LS have a punch mark on the shift shaft.  That punch mark must align with the split in the link arm as shown in this picture.

Shift_Linkage_Alignment_Mark_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 04/15/21 at 12:19:00

If the mark isn't aligned properly (like this).

Shift_Linkage_Alignment_Mark_Bogus_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 04/15/21 at 12:22:00

You end up with the shift rod hitting the alternator cover when you upshift.  You can see that the rod bends and it will be very difficult to upshift (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc.).  This picture shows what can happen.

Shift_Linkage_Clearance_Bogus_Upshift_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 04/15/21 at 12:27:12

But you also are having trouble with downshifting from 2nd to 1st.  You should make sure your linkage is adjusted properly and that the shift rod is straight, but there may be more to your problem than just linkage adjustment.  When your linkage is adjusted correctly, the rod will remain well clear of the alternator cover when you upshift.  Use tie down straps or some sort of stand to safely hold your bike upright.  Then make sure the rod looks like this on all upshifts.

Shift_Linkage_Clearance_Normal2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 04/15/21 at 12:30:41

Also make sure that your shift pedal/lever does not hit the frame on upshifts.  You can see from this picture where to check.  You can adjust the length of the shift rod (make it shorter) to increase the clearance between the frame and the pedal/lever.

Shift_Lever_Clearance_Bogus_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:55:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Issue or Something Else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.