Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Did I Choose The Wrong Camshaft? (Read 233 times)
d3adrock

Did I Choose The Wrong Camshaft?
12/25/20 at 16:23:23

I decided to put in a stage 3 camshaft in my bike to go with the 10.5 compression piston. Unfortunately my engine is having trouble. It seems the valve guides were wrecked after the piston hit the valves. So it's in the shop.

This has made me reconsider whether I made a good choice in installing the stage 3 cam. All I care about is low rpm torque. But the duration is increased from 224 in the stock cam, to 238 in the stage 3. wouldn't that greatly raise the rpm at which I feel torque? If so should I go back to a stock cam? Or maybe webcams standard with a duration  of 226 is better for me?

Help me ratiolanlize my choice, or understand whats going on. Thanks!

For reference I'm including the specs sheets for stock vs stage 3 cams dragbikemike included in his excellent comparison of camshafts. I hope he doens't mind.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Re: Did I Choose The Wrong Camshaft?
Reply #1 - 12/25/20 at 16:43:16

Graph

Stage_vs_stage_3_Curvesmall.jpg
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #2 - 12/25/20 at 16:45:09

Graph

Stock_vs_Stage_3_intake_and_Exhaust_Plot_Plotsmall.jpg
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #3 - 12/25/20 at 16:45:52

chart

Stock_Timing_vs_stage_3small.jpg
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 12/25/20 at 19:58:29

Are you sure the cam thing was correct?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #5 - 12/25/20 at 21:06:16

What do you mean?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 12/25/20 at 23:01:20

I believe Armen means "Are you sure the cam timing was correct?".

I'm sorry to hear about your disaster.  

A collision between the valves and piston is usually the result of installing a cam with too much TDC lift or by installing the cam with the timing incorrect.

The stage 3 cam has very low TDC lift, intake .053" and exhaust .074".  In contrast, the Web 340b cam has significantly more TDC lift, intake .143" and exhaust .092".

I've been running the 340b with a Wiseco pop-top.  No problems with valve interference.

That Web stage 3 cam should not present any problems.  However, if you only care about low rpm torque you should have stuck with the stock cam, or the stock factory DR650 cam.

You need to tell us more about your installation.  The Web cam comes with an installation check sheet.  It tells you to  check all the critical clearances and provides specs for those clearances.  You should have checked valve-to-piston clearance, valve-to-valve clearance, spring retainer to guide seal clearance, spring coil bind, rocker arm to spring retainer clearance, rocker arm to head cover clearance.  Did you check all those clearances?  Tell us how you checked cam timing.  Which valves hit, intake or exhaust?

Tell us about your cam chain tensioner.  Are you running the stock tensioner or did you remove the pawl?  What was the tensioner extension?

If you have pictures those would help too.

How did the failure occur.  Did it fail at initial startup or were you riding it when it failed?  Was it making noise before it failed (clack, clack, clack...)?

I wish you had not taken your bike to a shop.  I'm sure they will do a fine job but you won't really learn what went wrong.  Personal observation is the best way to learn.

Oh!  One last thing.  What Wiseco piston are we talking about here?  Did you install the Wiseco pop-top (1221M09400) or the Wiseco flat-top (12984M09400)?  If you installed the flat-top I suspect you are the first to do so.  That flat-top will require extra careful attention to detail since the compression height is .125" taller than the pop-top.  Valve-to-piston clearance on the flat-top is an unknown at this point.  The flat-top does have generous valve reliefs but to my knowledge no one has actually set one up in a real-life application yet.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #7 - 12/26/20 at 19:51:56

I actually had the shop install the cam along with the piston in the first place. I don't have a garage to do allot of work in and I wanted it done professionally the first time around.  (I think it was a pop top. It's the 95mm one that lancer sells)

According to them they did all the timing correctly and checked the clearances you mentioned. They said it had ample clearance between piston and valves. It's hard to say how much to trust their word. It doesn't look they hit the piston strongly since there are very weak marks (pic below). The guides are what seems to have taken the biggest beating. (pics below)

It was working pretty well for a while, on about the fifth or sixth ride after having it back from the shop (after another problem with the chain gear shattering, it started slowing down and dying, and then it wouldn't start.

When the shop checked it they said they found oil in the carb and when they checked further they said the found oil leaking in from the valves. Initially they thought it was a bad gasket but they say now that it's the guides/valves letting oil in. They suggested that maybe I had let the engine over-rev (which I can't remember ever doing but it's possible) which had caused the valves to float and thus hit the piston.

You said that I chose the wrong cam if all I care about is low rpm torque. That might have been a sliight exaggeration, I care mostly 80% about low rpm torque, and about 18% about mid range torque. and maybe 2% about high rpm torque.

I'm a bit dense with all these numbers ect and I will be the first to admit I didn't really understand what I was doing when I had these parts installed. My thought process was mostly Stock=Bad, Mods=Good.

If you would help me understand the differences in the cams and what the numbers mean. I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a little understanding of the properties of cams now, in that higher lift lets in/out more air/fuel. And that longer duration is bad for low end torque but good for high compression and high rpm torque.

When I bought the parts I didn't even know that there was more than one cam option aside from the stage 3, let alone several, let alone that I might actually like the stock profile more.

When I rode it for the brief while it was operational the midrange and high end felt very powerfull but the low end felt "smoother" than stock. It didnt feel like it pulled quite as hard right off the line. That could be the jetting which I'm still getting dialed in, but it could also be the cam.

what do you think?

MMS_1232.jpg
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #8 - 12/26/20 at 19:52:21

seats

MMS_1234.jpg
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #9 - 12/26/20 at 19:52:38

guides

MMS_1233.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 12/27/20 at 00:57:03

" I'm sure they will do a fine job"  I retract that statement.  You might wanna get your bike out of that shop.

I have never seen valve guides snap off like that.  Something clearly wasn't right.  

If you had a gross timing problem you probably would have heard a lot of ugly noise right from the start.  If it was only slightly out of time it may not have resulted in a collision until you revved it up to a high rpm.  Either way, the shop would be responsible for the timing error.

I routinely take my engine up past seven thousand rpm.  When I was running stock valve springs I used to take it up past 7K all the time.  How far up the rpm spectrum do you think you took it.  If it was timed correctly you should have been able to safely take it to 7500.  Since it was all fresh I suspect you were breaking it in so it shouldn't have seen more than about 4500 rpm.  If you don't have a tach and you need to get a feel for what 7500 rpm sounds like, LMK and I will post a vid.

You said it had a problem with the chain gear shattering.  This is a known problem and it is associated with over-torqueing the primary drive gear nut (LH threads).  How did that problem manifest?  What compelled you to return it to the shop when the chain gear shattered?  Noise, failure to start, running bad etc.?  When that gear was replaced it's conceivable that the cam timing was thrown off.  Tell us more about your problem with that gear.

Where did you get the cam.  Are you sure it's the Stage 3 that Lancer sells?  Are there any markings on the cam?  The snapped-off guides imply that the cam lift exceeded valve travel.  The valves hitting the piston can be the result of incorrect cam timing, but  the spring retainers hitting the guides can only be the result of the cam lift exceeding valve travel.   Max lift on the Stage 3 cam is .393" intake and .376" exhaust.  Stock valve travel is .430".  That only leaves .037" on the intakes.  I believe the Web spec is minimum .060".

Can't say for sure that the spring retainers hit the guides but given the failure it's certainly something to consider.  I guess it's possible that the valves stuck in the guides and then the piston clobbered the valves and snapped the guides.  Were those guide remnants difficult to get off the valve stems?  I assume the valves are bent.  If so, where are they bent?

I can see from your photos that the intake valves hit the piston and the intake valve guides are snapped off.  Is there any damage to the exhaust valves or guides?  BTW, thanks for the photos.  Very informative.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #11 - 12/27/20 at 01:18:53

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the shop has been the ones to do the work from the beginning.
When I initially took it in to get all the parts installed they told me that on the first test run of the parts installed along the first block or so they heard the shattering and took it back. They then replaced the gear, chain, guides, and tensioner (at my expense might I add, I know I know, I'm an idiot.)

After they replaced all the parts, they said it was finished and told me to pick it up. A few rides later and this happens.

I don't think I took it anywhere near 7000rpm but without a tach it's hard to say. If it helps I can say I've barely taken it full throttle. The longest I've been at WOT is probably 7-8 seconds. I don't know if that's long enough to put it into the 7000's.

From what the shop has told me the valves are not bent (although they say they're replacing them anyways. I don't think the exhaust has struck, but ill double check anyways when they re-open. Are there any more pictures that you think would help clear up this dreadfull mystery. For reference my bike has been in the hands of this shop for nearly a year now getting these mods done.

The cam is almost definitely a stage three since I bought it directly from lancer along with the piston, and at least according to him he doesn't sell anything else.

Ill double check with the shop what the exact toleranes where again. I recall them telling me that there was more than enough, but I can't remeber the exact numbers so ill double check.

Also could you elaborate on the different cams and their results. If I wanted to go back to stock or some other cam, now would be the best time to pick one up I imagine. What effects should I expect with this cam vs the DR650 or stock? What do you reccomend?

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/27/20 at 03:52:33

The Wiseco 95mm and Stage 3 cam are normally a "bolt in" upgrade and there is no interference between the valves and piston.

My engine has the 95mm Wiseco and the Stage 3 cam.......and it has been running that combination for several years without any problems - it is as reliable as a stock engine and only requires periodic routine maintenance. It makes good power and runs great, and it is a very good cam/piston combination for a daily driver as it runs very smoothly.   (I probably don't ride it enough to get 160,000 miles on it like Youzguyz did in my lifetime).

I am not aware of anyone installing any size (95,96,97) Wiseco and any Stage 1, Stage 2 or Stage 3 cams that has had an interference issue and needed to do anything extra to provide valve/piston clearance......they are "bolt in"parts.  You would need to check with Lancer and get exact numbers - but I suspect he has sold a hundred or more of these combinations over the years.....and you are the first one on this forum that has reported this problem.

I suspect your mechanics are doing something wrong, and likely they got the timing too far advanced and that is why the intake valves hit the piston......the valves had not yet closed when the piston was coming to the top of the stroke.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #13 - 12/27/20 at 11:02:47

I suspect you are right. So far every time something has gone wrong the shop offers up nothing more than a shrug and it ends up taking months on end to fix.

What was your experience with the stage 3 cam? Did you feel a loss of power or an increase in smoothness in the very low rpm torque.

I can't tell if it was because I was still getting used to it but when I first bought the savage, the power down low felt, for lack of a better word choppy. Like it came on really fast and strong. It actually made low speed driving and shifting down from second slightly scary and exilerating.

When I got it back after the cam/piston I don't know if it's because it was set up poorly,  or the carb not adjusted well, or I had just gotten better at driving it and new how to shift it, but when I started driving again it didn't have that same scarry impulse of power from the get go, it was suddenly smoother and easier to shift between 1sts and 2nd and back.

Do you think the new cam explains this behaviour, or am I imagining it ect? I don't know what's going on.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/27/20 at 12:09:29

When I modified my engine I initially had the Wiseco 95mm and a Stage 1 cam......the engine had a noticeable power increase everywhere.  My bike is a Cafe' bike and it lost a few pounds in the conversion - the bike can easily get to 80mph, 90 takes a little longer.....on 2 occasions I have been over 100 and it doesn't want to go any faster.  I believe the exhaust system may be a bit too restrictive to let me go any faster.  I now have the Stage 3 cam and a lightened flywheel - and although I really couldn't feel the change the 0-60 mph times have dropped by 1/2 second.

Your engine should make more power with the Wiseco and Stage 3 should be noticeable......and for my engine the changes really didn't require any drastic jetting changes.

« Last Edit: 12/27/20 at 14:58:50 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 18:09:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Did I Choose The Wrong Camshaft?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.