Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ideas to move a motorcycle (Read 102 times)
NV1P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Connecticut
Ideas to move a motorcycle
12/17/20 at 05:17:58

Hi all,

My wife and I recently moved out of Newtown, CT, and managed to get everything over to the new place (Southbury) except the motorcycle. In light of the snow storm hitting the northeast, the property manager has graciously given me until Friday to have it gone. Despite not having anything resembling winter gear I had attempted to drive it to the new place yesterday, but that failed when the battery died. Would anyone have ideas on how best to get it from point A to point B?

Regards,
Sam

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Re: Ideas to move a motorcycle
Reply #1 - 12/17/20 at 06:31:55

One can rent  a pickup truck from a hardware store, they frown on renting a van for that purpose, thus a motorcycle gas  tank in a enclosed space.

Second you might try calling a motorcycle shop for ideas. Sometimes they will move a bike.

It that fails, I have a contact in that area who knows many people. He is hard to get though.
You may pm me for that.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 12/17/20 at 11:20:08

I had rented a small moving van with a lift gate , put seven bikes in tied them down with all our mattresses in between the bikes. Only one fell over but no damage cause of the mattress. There are also companies that do nothing but transport motorcycles.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 12/17/20 at 11:42:39

U-Haul will rent you a motorcycle triler for $14.95 a day. The trailers have a ramp gate to roll bike up and a built in wheel choke in the front. You do need a car or truck with a hitch and wiring for lights and a bunch of tie-downs. I do it all the time, in fact I rent them for most any hauling I need do as they are the lightest trailers U-haul has around me. I have no problem loading the bike myself up the ramp.

IMG_4780_001.JPG
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/17/20 at 12:43:35

+1 on the U-Haul bike trailer rental.
Also, If your car doesn't have a trailer hitch, get one. They come in handy and you will use it more than you think. A DYI hitch only costs a little over $100.00. If you are in a hurry, U-Haul will install a hitch on your car. Not sure what they charge.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/17/20 at 14:49:04

I had not seen the trailer set up for bikes and other small things.
I like that.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #6 - 12/17/20 at 14:49:11

Given the distance (which I believe it less than 10 miles) another option is the U-Haul pickup rental which is $19.95/day. Shouldn't be a problem moving the bike and returning the truck the same day. Additional fees and insurance may apply of course.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 12/17/20 at 14:50:39

I have a U-haul hitch on my car, 2011 Toyota Venza. The big hitch installed was under $300.00 back when I had it done. It took them about an hour. Use it all the time, just rented a trailer last week to get rid of some construction debris from building a new deck on the front of my house. Even used a motorcycle trailer to do it as the ramp made it easier to load.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 12/17/20 at 23:00:59

there is usually someone on craigslist who will move a bike for a fee.
cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/29/20 at 07:50:26

NV1P wrote on 12/17/20 at 05:17:58:
Hi all,

My wife and I recently moved out of Newtown, CT, and managed to get everything over to the new place (Southbury) except the motorcycle. In light of the snow storm hitting the northeast, the property manager has graciously given me until Friday to have it gone. Despite not having anything resembling winter gear I had attempted to drive it to the new place yesterday, but that failed when the battery died. Would anyone have ideas on how best to get it from point A to point B?

Regards,
Sam

I saw my bike on Internet, and I  bout it.. ower internet!
Next problem.. to get it to my home!
I asked my major Suzuki dealer wish company they use for transportation of bikes.
Got a telephone number and a company name.. phoned them.. ya, they was used to that.
Asked a lot of questions, ya, they wrap bikes in madrasess and tie them to the floor and walls!
Long story short.. they did it, and I get my bike on there Gothenburg store facility!
But this is in Sweden!
In anyway, they charged my about 500 dollars for there efforts.. it was worth any penny!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:41:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ideas to move a motorcycle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.