Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inside the Exhaust Header (Read 56 times)
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Inside the Exhaust Header
12/11/20 at 10:31:02

Working on a leaner sidecar build requiring rerouting the exhaust,  a smaller pipe would be a real help.    I elected to cut off the faux header shell.   The lower end will receive pie cuts, snaking up toward the swing arm pivot before returning  to the conventional exhaust line; a portion of the outer shell remains at the exhaust port end, with cut tabs to be bent in transition to the remaining inner pipe, TIGed.

Removing the central section of shell exposed a few curiosities.    The last couple inches of the lower inner header pipe is actually stretched a little wider to match the coupling layer sandwiched below the outer shell- and a few inches farther down the pipe is a 5 mm diameter hole (pan over on the second image to view in-post).   Mild surface corrosion around the hole and on the inner surface of the cut away outer pipe testify to the flow of exhaust or vacuum induced moist air.  

My first thought was to look for a corresponding hole near the top of the header pipe, but the portion of outer pipe remaining there prevents inspection; if there is a second hole, no soot betrays the presence- if exaust gasses circulate in the outer exhaust cavity, it looks to be from bottom to top!  Any ideas what the function of that hole is or if there is a matching hole at the leading end?

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Inside the Exhaust Header
Reply #1 - 12/11/20 at 11:40:34

My guess would be either pressure or temperature equalization so the expansion of the outer pipe is the same as the expansion of the inner pipe. This would keep it from cracking or separating.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 12/11/20 at 14:21:11

This is really cool Mavigogun.  Thanks for the pics.  Love the way you sectioned the pipe.  

Gary is absolutely correct.  You need the hole to equalize the pressure.  Without the hole, it would be very difficult to complete all the welds.  The trapped air will heat up as you weld and tend to blow the puddle out.  It also might present a hazard during operation.  Without the hole, the trapped air would heat up and pressurize the cavity.  Given the extreme temperature, it could result in a rupture of the outer pipe or a collapse of the inner pipe.

Thanks again for the photos.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 12/11/20 at 14:55:54

The hole might be for a bolt to hold in a slide-in baffle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:06:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inside the Exhaust Header

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.