Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
reg/rectifier 97 Savage (Read 101 times)
Rich McLuvvin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

reg/rectifier 97 Savage
12/08/20 at 12:22:13

Hey, can anyone help with this? I'm still having electrical issues. I need to confirm that the red wire on a reg/rect is the hot wire and the black the ground wire.

when I ground the black and juice the red it blows fuses, melts wires. I bought a replacement and the same thing happens.

just for fun I swapped the wires round on the old unit (+ to black and - to red) and it didn't short. This left me wondering if the black was actually meant to be hot and the red to ground. Crazy, I know. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: reg/rectifier 97 Savage
Reply #1 - 12/08/20 at 12:28:43

Yes. Black is hot.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 12/08/20 at 14:53:37

I just reviewed the schematic for the 1996-2003 LS560.

The RED/black from the RR goes to the ignition switch and the main fuse. From the main fuse it becomes ORANGE and goes to the Battery (+) terminal.

The BLACK/white joins to the main ground

The RR feeds these circuits, it doesn't receive power from them. The RR only receives 3PAC power.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 12/08/20 at 21:01:49

Rich McLuvvin

If you don't mind me asking ???

Have you replaced a bunch of your lights with LED's ?

I understand the RR makes straight line current out of AC and also burns off the excess to control voltage .    

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 12/09/20 at 07:04:51

No pun intended, but are you positive that your battery is connected with the correct polarity?

IP Logged
Rich McLuvvin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/09/20 at 15:03:28

thanks for your replies guys. I appreciate your time.

yes, the battery is connected the right way, I don't have led lights. I know the dc wires are supposed to feed the battery not take from it, so why the sparking, shorting fuse blowing when I connect them?

the reg/rects are probably both after market items as they both have only two dc output wires, one red, one black. I had both units continuity tested by a mc dealer and both passed.

when they were on the bike they blew the fuse when the yellow ac wires were properly connected and also when the ac wires were unplugged.

I took the battery off and connected the reg/rect directly to it, red wire to + black wire to neg. It sparked and shorted. When I swapped, red to - black to + there was no short.

I've decided to binge watch 'everything there is to know about regulator rectifiers' youtube videos and see if I can solve this mystery.

IP Logged
Rich McLuvvin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/09/20 at 15:08:21

norm92de wrote on 12/08/20 at 12:28:43:
Yes. Black is hot.

are you sure? it would make my life easier if what you're saying is true

IP Logged
Rich McLuvvin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/09/20 at 15:17:20

man, I would love to just connect the black to the hot and ground the red, fire her up and go for a ride. i love that it could be that simple. I'm a bit wary though in case I fry the alternator or something. could you say anything else about this?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 12/09/20 at 15:47:00

Norms info is wrong.

Have any other changes been made to the electrical system?

IP Logged
Rich McLuvvin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/09/20 at 22:15:42

no it looks pretty standard. i noticed that the hot that goes direct to the battery was just dead ended though and didn't go to the r/r. there was just the hot from the ignition and the black and white wire to ground connected to the r/r.

this seems irrelevant though because i have the same problem when i connect direct to the battery.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 12/10/20 at 05:17:13

Can you connect the 3 yellow wires to the RR and not connect the outputs. Then start the bike and read the voltage at the Red (+) and Black (-) wires? This will tell us if the RR is working.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 12/10/20 at 09:05:51

I apologize for being facetious. There is no black wire on the regulator rectifier. There is a black AND white wire which is ground. Sorry again.

If I may add to that, after market parts are the kiss of death. If you don't have the time to do it properly where are you going to find the time to do it again. I have, over the years used after market parts and always regretted it, cars bikes what have you. Mostly we are not qualified to be designers.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 12/10/20 at 09:59:28

Just so we can end the confusion....

I went to ebay and grabbed a photo of an OEM RR. The black connector with the three YELLOW wires are the 3 phase AC inputs to the Rectifier.  

The white connector with the RED (+) and BLACK/white (-) are the Regulated outputs. With the yellow wires connected and the bike running, attach multi-meter test probes to the wires (Red test probe to RED wire, Black test probe to BLACK/white wire) you should read 14.2 to 14.8VDC. If you see this, connect the white connector to it's mating connector in the wire harness. If you get sparks or melted wires - there is something else wrong in the harness. You have a dead short somewhere or the battery is connected with the wrong polarity (the bike wont start with the wrong polarity).

If the multi-meter shows (-)14.2 to (-)14.8VDC - There is something wrong with the RR. You could use the RR, but the RED will be connected to the Black/white in the harness and the BLACK/white will be connected to the Red in the harness. Personally - I would not run a bike wired like that because some mechanic will attempt to "correct" that down the road and burn-up the harness.

s-l1600_007.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 12/10/20 at 10:19:06

Can we get a photo of the connector on your RR? I wonder if its possible the the white connector is mis-pinned.

I'm also having a little trouble understanding (or visualizing) this:

"i noticed that the hot that goes direct to the battery was just dead ended though and didn't go to the r/r. there was just the hot from the ignition and the black and white wire to ground connected to the r/r."

Can we get a photo of this as well?

IP Logged
Rich McLuvvin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/10/20 at 11:08:01

MYSTERY FINALLY SOLVED. So, my battery has reversed its polarity. Seriously. Iv'e never heard of this before but apparently it's a thing. I tried using a different battery and my r/r is functioning as it should. I tested the original and it's showing -13v or +13v when I swap the wires. Strange but true.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 23:43:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › reg/rectifier 97 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.