Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oiled air filter vs paper. Must watch video (Read 64 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Oiled air filter vs paper. Must watch video
12/03/20 at 21:31:07

Just came across this while I was contemplating using an oiled BMC or DNA filter for my Triumph now that I'm doing more miles. I wasn't looked for 'performance' just the expense of OEM vs reusable. After watching this I fail to see that anyone would want to use an oiled air filter.

Sure it's not a scientific test, but it's enough to convince me that paper is better.

Just found this real world confirmation of the above results. That pretty well seals the deal.

Just found another particle test that sort of puts the nail in the coffin for the oiled filters...

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Oiled air filter vs paper. Must watch video
Reply #1 - 12/04/20 at 07:26:57

I wouldn't bother with oiled filters on the road but there is a reason motocross bikes use oiled foam filters.  They allow more airflow and catch more dirt than paper filters.  Keep in mind that these are larger filters, they have a lot of surface area to work with and require a lot of maintenance.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 12/04/20 at 13:46:14

I'm just amazed at the amount of fine grit that easily gets through these K&N style filters and that so many people use them. Hard to think of anything worse than grit getting into the cylinders on a regular basis.

What is strange is that they don't even look like they'd filter out grit. I can see how an oiled foam filter would stop grit.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 12/04/20 at 23:07:28

Off roaders usually use two stage filters if they're smart. Uni-filters are much better than the k&n style filters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 07:33:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oiled air filter vs paper. Must watch video

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.