The Texas Vote (Read 78 times)
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
The Texas Vote
11/10/20 at 14:47:39

Working the polls on the 3rd, I encountered new citizens, senior citizens, diverse ethnicities, ages, and several first time voters.   A little over 10% of folks who walked through the door required some registration complication to be addressed.

Many older voters with a variety of native languages required direct assistance with operating the voting machine or navigating, comprehending the ballot.   At such times, as per Texas law, I made certain if poll workers provided assistance, at least 2 did so.   So it was that I came to understand directly the impact of Republican domination of the polling process.

First, you need to understand that Texas, over my general objection, has had a party-line voting button in elections past- press it, and votes are cast automatically for affiliated candidates.   This year was different- fearing that disdain for President Trump would result in huge down ballot losses for the Republican Party, the GOP removed that quick voting option.   The result?   Many, many vulnerable older voters spent over a half hour within the polling place, often in close contact with assisting poll workers.   During this pandemic, a crass trade of constituent welfare for political advantage.

Time and again, I saw struggling, embarrassed, or fearful  voters give up after one or two selections.

Second, Republican control of proceedings allowed Republican candidates to often be listed first on the ballot for each contest.  Typically, those listed first enjoy about a 2.5% advantage over trailing candidates.   In this election, that impact may have been even more profound, as many were overwhelmed by Harris County’s 9 page ballot- many I assisted gave up after one or two selections of what they saw first.

A final thought as to my motive and impact of my work at the polls.   Judging from those that needed poll worker help to vote, a plurality supported Trump.   Any lament that inspired I kept inside, thanking each for coming out to exercise the democratic franchise.   Though such votes represented a sort of collective human failure to me, I would fight to make sure each and every one of those choices was counted.

As always, each of our choices, for good or ill, determines where we all end up.   We are in this together.   In victory, we must stay mindful of successful party-sponsored efforts to rob folks of equal representation, and undo those wrongs without ever emulating the same corrupt practices as expedient.   The just are always disadvantaged when fighting for equality- so we must be relentless in our pursuit of a more egalitarian society, ever on guard against the predictable ploys of bad actors, and take strength in our numbers, standing together-

-and count every vote.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: The Texas Vote
Reply #1 - 11/10/20 at 15:26:33

Well... come to california where your choices will be listed on top.

WWW   IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #2 - 11/10/20 at 16:51:28

verslagen1 wrote on 11/10/20 at 15:26:33:
Well... come to california where your choices will be listed on top.

I don’t see how that could be true- California is politically diverse, and features random ordering of candidates.   From the California Secretary of State:

On the 82nd day before an election, the Secretary of State conducts a randomized drawing of letters of the alphabet pursuant to California Elections Code section 13112. The resulting order of letters constitutes the "randomized alphabet" to be used for determining the order of candidates' names on the ballot

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/11/20 at 07:04:12

Arizona until now, has always been a red state, but I've always found poll workers to be friendly, helpful, and fair.
This year, it seems a pretty thankless job.

Thanks for your service, Mavi... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #4 - 11/11/20 at 09:03:30

Thanks for the appreciation.    My COVID-19 test came back negative, yesterday- most everybody at the polling place were diligent in their use of masks, and cleaning booths behind themselves; it seems those efforts were effective, in my case.

Poll workers were carefully non partisan- with the disturbing exception of the Presiding Judge, who came dressed in red, planted his Trump sign at the curb; mid-day, he pulled down his mask, called a fellow judge/friend on speaker phone, and loudly speculated on the election outcome based on the race of voters at their respective precincts.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 11/12/20 at 10:11:24

Mavigogun wrote on 11/10/20 at 14:47:39:
Working the polls on the 3rd, I encountered new citizens, senior citizens, diverse ethnicities, ages, and several first time voters. ...

Voting early this year, I encountered no requirement what-so-ever,
(outside of, 'ticking' a box, with a pen, on a piece of paper)
That said/showed/proved, I was a Citizen of this Nation,
and was allowed to vote.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #6 - 11/12/20 at 10:35:14

MnSpring wrote on 11/12/20 at 10:11:24:
I was a Citizen of this Nation,
and was allowed to vote.

Says you.   Maybe you aren’t a citizen.   Maybe you didn’t vote.   Maybe hearing a recounting of diverse people at the polls inspired you to puke up a ball of the bigotry that has been displacing your soul...

Probably not, though.   What we can say with certainty is that concerted efforts to demonstrate non-citizens voting in US elections by highly motivated and well resources Republican members of our government were unable to demonstrate any basis to your fears.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 11/13/20 at 17:40:09

Mavigogun wrote on 11/12/20 at 10:35:14:
...  inspired you to puke up a ball of the bigotry that has been displacing your soul...

Excellent Response !!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Mavigogun wrote on 11/12/20 at 12:09:24:
So, this is where I’ll bow out again. . . .

Ahhh, to bad.
Yet I am sure tt and his clone buddies, will talk to you !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 00:21:56

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The Texas Vote

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.