Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oldfeller's Granny sickle rolls again ....... (Read 94 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Oldfeller's Granny sickle rolls again .......
10/13/20 at 21:30:02

Not me on it, my nephew and grand nephew have the bike now and all of my old parts supplies and they have the old scoot up and running again.

They are coming over here to put an ear to the ground and try to get somebody to explain why a steel toed work boot STICKS to the right side oil filter gear case housing and won't let your boot go without some effort ......

Advice to the current owners ---- don't just take stuff apart.   Take pictures of the disassembly stages and ask questions as NOTHING ABOUT THAT BIKE IS STOCK ANY LONGER.

Example, don't take the rear tire off without noting carefully what goes where for reassembly. The axle spacers are tweeked.  There are right and left alignment marks on the swing arm and YES the marks don't even up any more (write down where it belongs on a piece of paper before taking it apart).

There are NOTES pencil written in the Clymer's manual that I gave you ---- read them.

The rear tire has about 5-10 years of constant use still left in it as it is, so I would leave it the heck alone other than checking the air pressure.   32-35 pounds is about right for both front and rear tires.

I gave you a spare rear tire, so do wear the old one out first.   Changing that tire is a complicated beast and it is dangerous when you are popping the bead on it.   Read the Darksider thread in Rubber Side Down, much info in there that you will need.   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1342402435/0

NOTHING about the rear wheel is where it belongs according to Suzuki specs.   The tire is 1/2" wider than can possibly fit in the swing arm according to the factory and that is true enough.   Note how little clearance there is to the tire, and everywhere around it, but it all fits and rolls fine.

Engine tuning needs NO ATTENTION, ever, leave it alone.   If you do manage to wear out a platinum tipped spark plug I would be amazed, but you got a spare already.

The bike uses Dino Rotella 15w40 for oil as the clutch seems to like that stuff right now.   Check the oil by glancing at the view window, fill level is visual and you check it on the side stand while you gas the bike.   You are carrying a half quart of spare oil in the crankcase with you at all times.   If you want to see the spare oil in the window you can (by holding the bike balanced straight up), but only judge the oil fill level when resting on the side stand.

You will have to add oil to the bike periodically as the engine has seen a few dozens of hard mountain trips and has eaten many a 1200 cc Harley for lite snacks.   And a Ducati.  And a Triumph Big Twin.   And some of everything else that wasn't prepared to go fast on mountain twisties.   The guy on the Ducati was wearing full racing leathers when I passed him, and I met up with him at the Dragon lodge later on and he avoided even looking at me ...... (ashamed, he was).

You got what, 3 spare clutch packs and a full set of virgin fibers and what, 10 side cover gaskets if you feel all adventuresome.   You don't need to change anything, really, you just need to rough up the steels with 80 grit sandpaper on a finishing sander and tune the m2 lathe tool pushrod length (or simply leave it alone as little minor cold slippage is a natural part of a super tuned Savage engine and it goes away as the engine heats up).

MM, grin a bit ----- my great nephew is tooling around on Nancy's Granny sickle ---- reminds me of some good times with your nephew, huh?

« Last Edit: 10/16/20 at 00:31:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Oldfeller's Granny sickle rolls again .......
Reply #1 - 10/14/20 at 20:18:17

OldFeller ,

I hope your nephew has more brains than my nephew does .  

After that episode with the GSX-R , he don't  ride motorcycles any more !  The world is a safer place with him not ridding  Grin

I'm thinking that when I don't need to be ridding a real bike anymore , that I might get one of those little fun bikes like this .  

Honda_Monkey.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/14/20 at 20:57:06

That Looks like fun..
Pasture races.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 10/14/20 at 22:05:54

yea , and its street legal !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/15/20 at 00:57:10

Bigger than the picture indicates. 30.6" seat height, weighs a lot more than I thought, and costs Four THOWZUND dawlurz!,, Yikes,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 10/15/20 at 07:34:10

Hay if budget bikes are the order of the day then how about one of these ?   Under $1100.oo and still street legal . Wink

I just can't imagine totally doing without a two wheeler .  Smiley

Roketa_50cc.jpg

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/15/20 at 08:26:29

MMRanch wrote on 10/15/20 at 07:34:10:
Hay if budget bikes are the order of the day then how about one of these ?   Under $1100.oo and still street legal . Wink

I just can't imagine totally doing without a two wheeler .  Smiley

I'll need a trailer for my walker... or do you think they'll let me ride it thru walmart?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/15/20 at 10:57:21

I'm thinking I could dig a small enough bike that I could safely load and unload outta the pickup to use for cruising around the parks and backroads when I get my truck and boat lined out and go camping. Something to run up to the store and grab some ice or whatever, instead of the truck.
Be a handy way to get to the shower/restroom..

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 10/15/20 at 18:39:18

I guess if we live long enough , we will all be going to a scooter ?  Huh

Keeping tires on one of these might be a challenge ! Grin

500cc3wheels.jpg

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 17:12:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oldfeller's Granny sickle rolls again .......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.