Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Heron Head
10/05/20 at 15:09:28

Those of us who are certified gearheads enjoy this kind of stuff.

MMRanch has a Guzzi with a Heron Head........so now I know what that means!

http://www.italian.sakura.ne.jp/bad_toys/heronhead/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Heron Head
Reply #1 - 10/05/20 at 20:00:45

That looks really simple to build .  I can't help but wonder if the pistons are cast with the recess cast into it (they look like they do) - instead of having to machine it in ?    
Low cost is Very Good the way I see things !   Especially with my own $$$ .  
 Smiley   Keep it simple !  Cool

Looks kinda perty too , all shined up like that .   I understand the Hemi head puts out about 10% more HP and has better fuel millage too , at least in the Guzzi V7 World ...

« Last Edit: 10/06/20 at 19:09:02 by MMRanch »  

Guzzi_Heron_head_piston.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/06/20 at 02:24:57

I would imagine the pistons are cast......not forged.  Cast pistons are common in production engines not designed to be high performance.

Evidently the pistons become overly heavy as the size of the engine increases, and that may be why Guzzi went to a different head design when they went "Big Block" for the V9.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 10/06/20 at 19:20:11

There I fixed the cast word.  

The V9 its really only an 850 , its still a small block - the biggest small block .
Guzzi has some big block stuff also , there's a 1000 , a 1200 , and a 1400 .   But they are all heavy machines , not as heavy as similar Harleys but the 1400 looks like two Wheel Cars too (815# filled-up + ready to roll).  The 1200 is a sport bike - looking thing.

So , whats the Hemi - Head all about ?   You can Dodge that Question if you need too !  Grin

« Last Edit: 10/06/20 at 21:25:16 by MMRanch »  

1400Calf_.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/08/20 at 04:22:33

The hemi head has the combustion chamber up in the head.....like most "normal" engines.

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/moto-guzzi/moto-guzzi-v7-iii-series-c...

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #5 - 10/08/20 at 07:23:13

The small block Guzzis stuck with a Herron head about 50 years longer than they should have. Has to tell you something that almost no one else in the bike biz (Except Moto Morini) used the design. When they went to a Hemi head on the V7, power went up, and emissions went down.
They also stuck with a way short connecting rod for decades too long, because they had a ton of them leftover from the dead 250/4 motor a sister company was going to produce.
Guzzi has suffered from insufficient R+D $ for most of it's life.
Now that Aprillia owns them, they are moving forward.
When I used to write tech articles for bikes magazines, they gave me one of their big twins to test ride and review (early 90s?). I came back and told them "You don't want me to write about this one. It's the worst new bike I've ever ridden." Sure they had a cult following, but so what?
I really hope they make a LeMans style retro bike out of the new V9 platform. One of the prettiest bikes ever made, but mechanically a bad tractor.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 21:33:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Heron Head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.