Send Topic Print
Copper Gaskets (Read 66 times)
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Copper Gaskets
09/21/20 at 20:57:32

Question about copper head and base gaskets.

Pros/Cons
Yea/Nay

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Copper Gaskets
Reply #1 - 09/21/20 at 23:04:18

DragBikeMike is the man to talk to about copper gaskets. He has been messing with them on his hotrod.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/22/20 at 00:18:04

I've had good luck with the copper base gaskets on the LS, but I'm struggling with the copper head gasket.  I suspect that I am missing a subtle detail.  See my most recent post on the Big Bore Engine - Part 6.  

I've used copper in the past and never had any serious problems, but it was on Harleys and 2-strokes.  They don't use pressurized oil passages through the cylinder head, and they don't incorporate timing chain cavities with lots of splash oil.

The copper should work OK, I'm just missing a subtle detail.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/23/20 at 11:57:29

My copper head gasket didn't work the first time I installed it. Turns out my 87 Savage had a warped head. One trip to the engine shop and $50 later and its fixed.

I recently installed a copper Base gasket but neglected to apply the copper adhesive. Got some slight weeping. Re-torqued the head bolts but it didn't help. Ugh! I'm starting to feel like Charlie Brown here. Well, I know how I am spending my weekend.  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 09/23/20 at 18:42:29

Troy, please tell us more.  How far out-of-whack was your head?  Was the cylinder also out-of-whack?  How  much material did the machine shop remove?  Did you apply a sealant to the head gasket and do you know exactly what sealant you used?  What method did you use to determine the head was not flat?

Exactly where was the leak on your head gasket before you had things resurfaced?

I appreciate any info you can share.

Thanks, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/25/20 at 14:53:21

I could feel puffs of air coming out from the engine, just below the exhaust port. I thought at first there was a hole in the header pipe. I also had low compression, 90 psi.

I found a youtube video showing how to measure a warped head. You have to have the top of the engine removed. I laid a carpenters square across the top of the cylinder and measured the gap between the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the carpenters square. Measure it with a gaping tool in several places and with different sizes. I don't remember the exact size, but it was a significant gap.

I bought the tools cheap at Harbor Freight. Carpenters square, gaping tool, small plastic caliper tool for $1.50? I also bought a set of T-shaped tools for measuring the inside of the cylinder. That was my other issue.

I measured the inside of the cylinder in several places. It wasn't 100% precise as my tools weren't the expensive kind, but they were accurate enough to identify the problem.  

The cylinder was "out-of-round". On one axis it measured approximately 94.5mm. On the other axis it measured 95.2mm. These were approximate measurements, but they were good enough for government work. According to Clymers the cylinder was way out of specs.

So, with the warped head, and the wonky cylinder the bike wouldn't run. It's better now, though. Thanks to this site, and an assortment of helpful youtube videos I am about to get back out there.

I have also installed a 96mm piston.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 09/25/20 at 23:23:35

Thanks for the info Troy.  Sounds like you've got it under control.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:08:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Copper Gaskets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.