Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring  - All the time - Wide open Throttle (Read 183 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Backfiring  - All the time - Wide open Throttl
Reply #15 - 09/21/20 at 05:22:02

I improperly installed my slide once and my bike wouldn't go 20 mph in any gear.  The butterfly valve opens, but the slide stays closed.  Talk about lean.

IP Logged
Chris911
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/26/20 at 10:32:37

OK.  I have the carb back off the motorcycle.  Does anyone know how to set the float height?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 09/26/20 at 11:08:03

If it were me I'd put a genuine Yamaha raptor petcock on it. You will eventually put one on anyway.

With the carb on the bench "completely level" devise a way to supply fuel to it. First it should not flood i.e. no fuel on the bench out of the overflow vents. Then with apiece of plastic tubing attached to the drain hole hold it up beside the carb. And with the drain screw open you should be able to see the fuel level. It should be level with the joint between the float bowl and the main body of the carb. If not you will have to bend the tab on the float to achieve this.

This job is so easy when on the bench compared to the bike. Remember absolutely level for the carb. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/26/20 at 11:24:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/19/20 at 13:50:53:
The petcock was bad, so I replaced it with a K and L that looks like the factory piece.

A link to that petcock might help.

KNowing the tubing inside diameter of the petcock outlet, not the rubber gas line, could be good to know.
If you added an inline filter, remove it.

Check the float height by putting  piece of clear(ish) tubing on the bowl drain nipple. Hold the tubing up next to the junction of the bowl with the carb body. Thats where the fuel level should be.
Did ya clean out the tank? Was it rusty? Is it possible the petcock filters are clogged with junk?

It will be, ‘ok’ but if you’re trying it out of, say, an AR pistol with a barrel shorter than 14.5 inches, you’re going to see significantly reduced performance.

Did ya do that already?
What did it do? Was it low?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chris911
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/27/20 at 07:26:25

Success!!!

Per a bunch of replies, I took the carb apart once again.  This time, I shot 2+2 (carb cleaner) into every orifice, let it soak, and then blew it out with my air line.  I also noticed that I had not replaced the secondary jet on my first go-around.  

With the carb installed, it now runs fine.  It backfired a bit, and then settled right down, and I was able to take a ride around the block.  It runs great.  But when you roll off the throttle quickly, it will backfire.  And I don't care!  LOL

I can't thank you all enough for the suggestions.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 09/27/20 at 11:13:25

Chris911 wrote on 09/27/20 at 07:26:25:
But when you roll off the throttle quickly, it will backfire.  And I don't care!  LOL

Welcome to the benefits/curse of owning a big single with a carb.  You cannot jet out that malady.....when you slam the throttle closed you are shutting off all the fuel except the idle jet circuit, and it cannot supply enough fuel for the high vacuum condition that you create when you close the throttle completely.

Learn to roll the throttle ON and OFF.....and if the backfiring occurs when slowing down or going down a grade - just open the throttle a tiny bit and the noise will go away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 09/27/20 at 14:20:43

Or, you can smile a little smile and enjoy the symphony of Baarhdeblappblap blaaarh,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:12:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring  - All the time - Wide open Throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.