Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Status update - halfway through the restoration (Read 39 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Status update - halfway through the restoration
09/17/20 at 12:54:08

As some of you may know I bought a Savage almost two years ago that turned out to be in rather poor condition. After riding it just three times last season I decided I wanted to replace the cam chain. I also noticed that the rear tire was misaligned so I started to disassemble things and the more I removed parts the more I realized the bike was in rally bad shape.

There was quite a bit of rust on the frame and swing arm so I decided to try and remove the rust and paint by sand and glass blasting and paint the frame. This must have been around February or thereabouts and after building my own air compressor and learning how to blast I finally put on the last coat of paint today.

The season is basically over here in Sweden now so I will continue rebuilding the bike this winter and I hope to have it up and running again in March.

It will be some kind of simple bobber when I am done with it. I found a Raask drag pipe that I will try out. I feel it is to wide in diameter and too short but I will try it out. I have already spoken to a company that can help me make a thinner and longer drag pipe that I hope to try out next year.

I have not taken many pictures during the blasting and painting since I have been busy understanding what the h**l I am doing. I am a computer technician so compressed air, bolts, washers, carburetors, bearings and most things mechanical are new to me and sometimes a bit scary.

frame_painted.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Re: Status update - halfway through the restoratio
Reply #1 - 09/17/20 at 12:57:16

The picture does not do it justice. It is MUCH nicer in reality. After blasting the frame I coated it with a 2-component epoxi primer and then added the final coat which was a 2-component polyurethane topcoat. (They are both made for marine applications so probably overkill)

https://www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/primers-fillers/2k-ep-anticorros...

https://www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/top-coats/2k-pur-topcoat/

The paints are kind of "nasty" so I made sure I wore proper protection. I think the frame and swing arm will be properly protected against  the elements for quite some time now Smiley

protection.png
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #2 - 09/17/20 at 13:03:14

That’s awesome. Looks great. I use only 2 part on all of my builds. They have all turned out good and paint is very durable. 2 part clear on body and tank can be color sanded and polished to a factory finish. Mask and good ventilation essential

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 09/17/20 at 13:33:58

"I am a computer technician so compressed air, bolts, washers, carburetors, bearings and most things mechanical are new to me and sometimes a bit scary."

From what I have seen of your posts, you have no reason to be scared.  Your work is stellar, and most importantly, you are not afraid to ask questions.  Very nice job on that frame.

I remember when you were struggling with those swing arm bearings.  They were pretty ugly.  That thing will be better than showroom when you are all finished.

Smiley

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 09/17/20 at 14:55:57

He got my fart filter on his face !
Must have bad breath.          Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 10:46:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Status update - halfway through the restoration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.