Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Never ridden a motorcycle before... (Read 209 times)
JED
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Never ridden a motorcycle before...
09/09/20 at 19:39:37

Caught the riding bug a few years ago.  I still haven’t taken the MSF course but will do so this fall.  I’ve researched a lot of different machines to start on.  For some reason the Savage speaks to me.  Its size, displacement and look all resonate with me.  Hard to describe but it’s just what a motorcycle should look like.

A few days ago I visited a dealer. I sat on motorcycles for the very first time in my life (44 years).  Tried several sport bikes, nakeds, standards and cruisers of all sizes.  I saved the s40 for last, expecting it to feel small and inadequate.  The reviews and motorcycle publications describe the savage with monickers like small, beginner bike, ladies bike and anything but “savage”.  I was sure it would fall short of the others I’d tried.  Well, the Suzuki s40 felt perfect!  I was not expecting this.  Although not much larger it somehow seemed more substantial than the 250s I’d sat on (vstar and an older rebel).  I am smitten.  

I’ll soon start shopping for a second hand savage or boulevard but the one thing I can’t ascertain from reading reviews is the exact nature of its vibrations.  I keep hearing that it’s buzzy being a thumper and all.  My riding style would not be aggressive at all, mostly country roads in the 50-60 mph range - 2 hrs max.  How uncomfortable are the vibrations really?  Is it no big deal?

Thanks kindly.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Never ridden a motorcycle before...
Reply #1 - 09/09/20 at 20:06:22

The Savage is a great bike for back roads at 50-60 mph. That's what I did with mine. Vibration is not a problem at those speeds. You have to be going 70 or 75 for things to start getting buzzy.

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/09/20 at 20:49:03

My son loves his 2012 S40.
One cylinder, one carburetor, belt drive, about as simple of a motorcycle you can buy. To me, that simplicity is what make it look so good.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 09/09/20 at 21:00:35

JED, I would highly recommend you go get a full helmet and take a rider education course before you buy anything. An S40/Savage is a good bike for those learning, but I would say it's better suited to those who have had some experience. It's fairly low to the ground, is not very heavy and not overly powerful. All positives when learning to ride. But having ridden before would be very helpful in undertanding how motorcycles operate.

I began riding at 13 years old on dirt bikes. Rode through college on several smaller "around towners". After some time away I came back to riding and the first thing I did was take an MSF riding class. Only about 60% of participants made it through and passed. Some who failed had bikes and had been riding for long periods of time. Many just couldn't get it.  

Your profile does not include where you are from, if you were in Jersey I would invite you to come ride one of my S40's to check it out. I keep my bikes in my business shop which is in a fairly quite industrial park. Plenty of empty parking lots and side roads to get accquainted with one.

It's all good and hopefully you find a nice bike to get you on the road.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 09/09/20 at 22:32:57

As a newbie you don't want anything that doesn't feel right. Having the controls where it feels good is super important as well as seat height and a comfy seat. If all those things feel right you will become one with the bike much faster than if it was too tall or too heavy. The Savage is all those things you said and more ! I came here to build a custom and now want a stocker too. If it feels good , buy one and ride the crap out of it. Experience the feeling that still thrills me to the bone after 50 years of riding , every time I ride it's a rush of adrenaline. It renews the soul every time I ride.
Ride Safe !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/10/20 at 02:30:11

Vibrations are fine on the bike.....as others have said it does not become objectionable until you get to interstate speeds.  If you end up doing a lot of that you can add a Kawasaki pulley mod and a larger diameter back tire and lower the rpm at speed, and that helps immensely.  A lot of the folks who notice the vibrations are used to bikes with multiple cylinders.....and the more you have the smoother the engine runs (and the heavier and more complex it becomes).  The bike is fully capable of being a "forever" bike for some people, and for others it is a fun 2nd bike when they want something light and nimble.

You will likely get bored with a small 250cc or 300cc single cylinder bike - however a Kawasaki Ninja 300 or Versys 300 has enough power to keep you riding for years.  The Honda 500 Rebel would also be a good bike to start out on.  (All 3 of those bikes have chains which is not a good selling point for those of us who prefer the belt drive of the Savage) - although modern chains are far less maintenance than the ones we had 40 years ago.

You will drop your first bike a time or two - so I would not buy anything expensive or horribly shiny until you get enough experience to be competent.  The motorcycle safety course is definitely a good way to get experience and learn how to operate a clutch/throttle/brake lever/brake pedal and throttle simultaneously while also negotiating traffic and keeping your balance.

I have been riding for nearly 60 years, and I still find great pleasure in riding.  City riding and dealing with traffic is not all that much fun for me - curvy country roads are what I love the most.

And.......not everybody that buys a motorcycle and learns to ride falls in love with it.  There are plenty of low mileage bikes for sale, as the new riders find out they don't like getting hot in the summer sun, splattered with bugs, wet when it rains.......or scared when a car or truck pulls out in front of you.  Riding just isn't for everyone and some don't find out until after they spent $20,000 on a big V-Twin!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #6 - 09/10/20 at 08:12:17

LS650 is a great bike to begin with. Vibrations will only bother your hands, its not like this bike shakes your fillings out.

Just learn to ride without a death grip on the bars.  Keep your hands and arms loose. Hold the bike with your legs and steer with your legs and feet enough to loosen up on the grips and you wont even notice the vibration.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/10/20 at 09:11:29

The Savage would have been considered a big bike in the 1960's.  Not small or under-powered at all.
Vibration is less than many larger multi-cylinder bikes.

It's a great bike and very capable if you leave your ego at door.
Just ride and enjoy.
Ride safe... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 09/10/20 at 09:44:23

Welcome, and glad to hear you're planning on taking the MSF course.  It also sounds like you did your initial research, but also took the extra steps to throw a leg over a bunch of bikes.  That was a great idea to save the Savage for last, since it was already in your mind.  I rode bikes back in the 80's and was off until 2008 at which point I bought a 150cc scooter.  Put 40K on that and also did research on what bike to get.  Decided on the Savage for many of the same reasons you cited (and that was without even finding this amazing site).
This place is the best, provided you stay out of the Tall Table, unless you want to hear a VERY wide range of very strong opinions on things not related to motorcycles.
There are folks with all levels of abilities on this forum, and most seem to be more "mature" or "seasoned" gentlemen.  Some of these guys have an impressive bank of knowledge on bikes, engineering, mechanics etc.

What part of the world or country are you in?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/10/20 at 10:07:53

Take the course before ya buy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JED
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/10/20 at 16:28:09

Great insights here and I appreciate them all.  Thanks folks for responding.    

I was hoping to take the rider course and buy a bike this year but the poor economy is delaying my plans (possible furlough).  When the economy turns around I’ll search high and low for a second-hand savage.

Tocsik, I live in the Houston area since you asked.  That raises another question; do these air cooled 650s ever overheat in hotter climates?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/10/20 at 18:09:10

Serowbot wrote on 09/10/20 at 09:11:29:
It's a great bike and very capable if you leave your ego at door.
Just ride and enjoy.
Ride safe... Cool

Great way to describe this bike.  A lot of big V-Twin owners look down on the bike.....until you actually start riding and they find out they can't keep up when you get to the curves!  Our member "Oldfeller" found particular delight in hunting down Harleys and leaving them far behind when we were riding in the mountains!

As long as you keep moving the bike won't overheat.  If you get stuck in a traffic jam in 100 degree temperatures - you will likely overheat before the bike does......however it is best to keep moving if you can as the bike is air cooled and doesn't cool well when stationary.  I don't know of any owner ever reporting an engine failure from overheating - but you will certainly feel when the engine is running hotter than normal.......it becomes a "testical toaster"!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/10/20 at 18:17:17

That raises another question; do these air cooled 650s ever overheat in hotter climates?

Caught in a parking lot at 5:00,, they sure can..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #13 - 09/10/20 at 18:56:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/10/20 at 10:07:53:
Take the course before ya buy.

Can't emphasize this enough.  I've been riding for about 5 years, so am still learning.  I took the course, but then never got a bike.  Two years later, I decided to buy a bike.  Took the beginner course again and then the intermediate before buying a bike.  Best thing I ever did.  There is A LOT to learn.

I saw an S40 on a trip to PA.  Loved the looks and it was sized just right for a beginner like me.  I have no desire to upgrade as it suits me perfectly for the riding I do.  I just had it painted and love it even more.  On my first ride after painting, I had comments like, that's an awesome bike! Grin  So Proud!

This is both a GREAT beginner bike and a Great long term bike.  You can't go wrong with it.  And this is a Great forum.

Good luck!

Bob
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/10/20 at 19:20:16

My best tips are...
1) Keep a very loose/relaxed grip on the bars.
2) Lead with your helmet by keeping your head and shoulders slightly in front of your hips. Especially when cornering and when you panic (because you will want to do the opposite when fear strikes). Watch any performance based 'cycling sport and you will see this.
3) Bop and weave! Bop and weave!!!  Move around out there so others will see you.  I make it a habit to move the bike around in my lane A LOT when I'm in areas with traffic and intersections.  I want to be seen and I'm looking for eye contact before I commit to going anywhere.  Don't just ride straight down the road.  You will blend in.

Have fun!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 10:44:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Never ridden a motorcycle before...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.