Send Topic Print
gas leak (Read 81 times)
brasils40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gas leak
09/05/20 at 15:11:25

Hi everyone newbie here, I recently installed a carb rebuild kit on my  2012 s40. I reisnstalled carb and noticed gas coming from looks like vent tubes below seat. The jets I replaced are the 2 on bottom bowl and the one that goes to the float and the two from top bowl and the needle jet on diapharm. any ideas. could the jet on the float cause this if it is the wrong size? not sure but it looked a little smaller that the original.  thanks

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: gas leak
Reply #1 - 09/06/20 at 05:48:56

Fuel overflow is usually caused by the float needle being stuck.  Sometimes you can tap the carb and it will unstick the needle.

The jets should be numbered and you should know exactly what you are installing.  Oftentimes these rebuild kits just have some random jets that will fit, but are not correctly sized for the bike it's being used on.  It's always best to reuse or replace the stock jets with the same ones unless you are performance tuning the bike.  The stock jetting is going to work reasonably well for most people and you won't see any huge gains from jetting. If you have some mild performance issues or if your bike is heavily modified,  you would be making small adjustments based on the stock jetting.

Lastly, If your carb is overflowing, you will need to check your oil level to make sure you don't have gas in you oil.  You don't want to ride the bike with gas in the lower end.

Was you bike running before you installed this "kit"?  Were you having any issues?  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/06/20 at 10:44:47

If you have the stock petcock,.. is set it on "Prime"?...
If not, your pet is bad.
Get a Yamaha 650 Raptor petcock. (See the Tech section for details)
If you are set on Prime or you already have a Raptor pet, your float is stuck.

Either way,.. you likely have fuel in your engine oil.
Once you fix the problem, change your oil and filter, and don't ride until then.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
brasils40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/06/20 at 17:04:40

Hi , yes the bike was running ok no gas leaks the prioblem started after i put new jets.   I turned on  the ignition pulled out the choke and as iwas trying to start the bike i noticed gas gushing out the left side looks like from the vent tubes so I immediately stopped .The only reason i changed the jets is cause I cleaned the carb and thouht that changing to new jets would not be a bad idea since I had the carb off the bike any ways. I think the float needle may be wrong cause it looked a bit smaller. Im gonna tale it back apart and install the old jets and see if that helps. Just to clarify  is there a chance the gas got in the oil  and if so Do I need to change the oil ? again thank you guys for your the time.

IP Logged
brasils40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/06/20 at 17:07:45

also the petcock is stock and is always on the on position .

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 09/06/20 at 17:46:56

Rule number one for me is to not take apart or replace stuff that isn't broken.  (The stock petcock and chain tensioner would be exceptions to this rule.)  There really isn't much to clean in the carb unless it has sat for a really long time and jets don't go bad unless they have been sitting in crud for  years.  The only reason to clean things up is if the you got bad gas or an accumulation of dirt and rust in the float bowl.  Basically, if it is running well, leave it alone.

Put the stock jets and float needle back in.  Make sure you put the correct jets in the bottom and top of the carb.  There is a main and pilot jet in each.  They look the same but have different numbers stamped on them.  

I would probably drain the oil and replace it, but if you are sure that the oil level didn't change you might decide not to.

If you get everything back to stock, it should run.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 09/06/20 at 17:50:43

The stock petcocks often fail.  Most of us end up replacing it with a Yamaha Raptor petcock. But it would be a strange coincidence if your's failed while you were cleaning your carb.  Put it on the list for later.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 09/06/20 at 17:53:18

BTW, we see a lot of newbies on here messing up their bikes "cleaning" the carb.  Don't feel bad.

IP Logged
brasils40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/07/20 at 04:01:09

Thank you so much guys. I really was kicking my self for a a couple days bummed but you guys have given me some motivation to get back in there and see it through. Thanks

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/07/20 at 07:47:52

I no longer use carburetor rebuild kits. I have had too many problems similar to your with them. I now clean up and reinstall the original parts.
If I can't save a component, I order just that piece.
I also check the float valves on my work bench before installing the carbs back on the bike. I hang a 1 pint gas bottle about a foot above the bench and run a fuel hose to the carburetor. You will catch fuel leaks here instead of on the bike.

IP Logged
brasils40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/12/20 at 10:56:06

She's back from the dead! Hey guys , pulled the carb and examined it to see what went wrong., problem #1 I screwed up re assembling the needle jet, fixed that, #2 the float needle was  sticking possibily wrong size. I put the old jets back in but not before spraying crab cleaner .shes running good  no leaks ,just need a new washer for the speedo cable lost it somehow. Oh I also changed the oil before cranking her up again and I did smell a little gas in the old  oil  after draining it.Lesson learned

thanks for your help guys

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 11:24:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.