Send Topic Print
Savage Dual Sport (Read 348 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage Dual Sport
Reply #15 - 08/22/20 at 15:03:24

And if you aren't tied to the monoshock, bikes were ridden off road for years with two shocks.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1371091600

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #16 - 08/22/20 at 17:31:00

And just to clarify, is this an off-road project only that doesn't require a registration/licensable bike? Or, does does the boneyard have titles for these projects?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 08/22/20 at 19:10:45

See if there is a DR650 frame in the bone yard. With a little welding you may be able to fit the LS engine into the DR frame. How are your welding skills, because this project just is t possible without welding at some point.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/22/20 at 22:13:10

DieselBob wrote on 08/22/20 at 17:31:00:
And just to clarify, is this an off-road project only that doesn't require a registration/licensable bike? Or, does does the boneyard have titles for these projects?

Great question.  The 95 Savage has a title.  I want to register and insure it under this title.  In Connecticut all you have to do is call the insurance company, and give them the vin ID for insurance on vintage vehicles.  From there, head to the DMV for a plate.  No inspections on vintage vehicles.  As for the bone yard, he likely does not have a title.  Perhaps we can use that as leverage for negotiations.

IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/22/20 at 22:38:41

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/22/20 at 19:10:45:
See if there is a DR650 frame in the bone yard. With a little welding you may be able to fit the LS engine into the DR frame. How are your welding skills, because this project just is t possible without welding at some point.

Not sure if I'll come across a DR650 but I think I have that Suzuki frame narrowed down to early 80's RM250 or RM465 with the Full Floater suspension.  I think its the RM250 as most images ive searched come equipped with a front disc brake.  Most RM465 images yield drum fronts.

I have about 50 major welding projects under my belt including quarter panels on my 78 and frame modifications on my Nighthawk 750.  Just learning as I go.  Nothing fancy

20180424_215422.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 08/23/20 at 03:54:20

Compared to most 2 stroke engines - the Savage engine is very tall.  Trying to fit a Savage engine in a frame built for a 2 stroke bike could be a real challenge.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/23/20 at 07:11:10

Dave wrote on 08/23/20 at 03:54:20:
Compared to most 2 stroke engines - the Savage engine is very tall.  Trying to fit a Savage engine in a frame built for a 2 stroke bike could be a real challenge.

What I plan to do is use Savage frame to house the motor and blend the rear suspension, front suspension and tail into the Savage frame.  The RM front forks will give me the ground clearance, rake and suspension travel I want for this build

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #22 - 08/28/20 at 01:50:01

I think most places the VIN follows the frame number so you might fall into troubles there.

WWW   IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #23 - 08/31/20 at 16:09:33

Wez, this sounds like an amazing project.  I look forward to seeing how it plays out.  Please keep posting pics, etc.!  You've received some pretty solid advice on here so far.

Ohiomoto is right, a dual shock setup is really doable, and the bike he shows is EXACTLY what I want to do myself, except for adding some fenders!

If you are committed to going this route, it will be much easier to narrow things down if you have a good diagram of the key dimensions handy the next time you visit the boneyard.  This will quickly rule out some bikes, helping to narrow your selection. It doesn't need to be a CAD drawing or anything, but something that shows mounting points, alignment requirements for the sprockets, engine mounts, and overall HxWxD dimensions for the engine.  That's where I'd start.  You can also trace the mounts, etc. from your Savage directly onto a piece of cardboard, and then bring that template with you; this would actually be pretty helpful.

I would be very careful to read the registration rules in your state, you really don't want to run afoul of them.  Some states will put people in prison for messing around with VIN's, even on your own bikes.  I'd hate to see that happen to anyone.  

IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 09/01/20 at 17:42:40

SpamyToo wrote on 08/28/20 at 01:50:01:
I think most places the VIN follows the frame number so you might fall into troubles there.

Right!  So my first option is to modify the front stem of the RM to fit into the Savage neck.  Hopefully the local machine shop can help me there.  I've developed a nice relationship with them over the years.  They redid the heads on my nighthawk and also a pair of heads for my Nova.  I know when to spend a little money and let the pros go to work.  I'm pretty sure custom bearings can be purchased.  These guys build tractor pull vehicles.  Im optimistic that I can retain the Savage neck with the VIN ID stamped intro it.

If not....   Grin

Maybe we swap necks.  The old guy was like, "you're lucky, it had the heavy duty front when he inspected it"..... That made me want to do this even more.  I just finally learned how to restore forks.  Took my three tries. But omfg what a difference a solid front suspension makes

IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 09/01/20 at 17:56:47

Edub wrote on 08/31/20 at 16:09:33:
Wez, this sounds like an amazing project.  I look forward to seeing how it plays out.  Please keep posting pics, etc.!  You've received some pretty solid advice on here so far.

Ohiomoto is right, a dual shock setup is really doable, and the bike he shows is EXACTLY what I want to do myself, except for adding some fenders!

If you are committed to going this route, it will be much easier to narrow things down if you have a good diagram of the key dimensions handy the next time you visit the boneyard.  This will quickly rule out some bikes, helping to narrow your selection. It doesn't need to be a CAD drawing or anything, but something that shows mounting points, alignment requirements for the sprockets, engine mounts, and overall HxWxD dimensions for the engine.  That's where I'd start.  You can also trace the mounts, etc. from your Savage directly onto a piece of cardboard, and then bring that template with you; this would actually be pretty helpful.

I would be very careful to read the registration rules in your state, you really don't want to run afoul of them.  Some states will put people in prison for messing around with VIN's, even on your own bikes.  I'd hate to see that happen to anyone.  

Thanks man!  Thanks so much my man.  Just for being so positive and encouraging!  Honestly, it's posts like yours that get these bikes done!!  I'll let my son know everyone here is rooting for us!!  I really am in love with that full floater rear now.  The literature said it really handled the train amazingly.  Was high maintenance but sounds well worth it.  Just what I'm looking for.....a challenge....

Also, I think it's good that my son get thrown into a complex project that actually gets done!  Lots of learning hopefully.  I love the idea of mock up pieces.  Thanks!  I might just being the frame and side by side them.  What else?  Hopefully I can still get that frame

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #26 - 09/02/20 at 03:17:55

I think Id try to get a 1980's Honda XL600 frame. Should already be a street legal VIN and has a mono shock.

And the frame would take way way less cutting and adding to accommodate the LS650 motor.  An RM 250 motor is so much smaller than the LS650 that the frame would have to be cut to pieces and run the motor like 6 inches lower than normal which would put it down on the ground. You cant easily move the frame backbone any higher without compromising a lot of its strength.

And if you need to adapt forks to a frame let me know. I have several databases that will tell you what bearings you will need to make the exchange.

WWW   IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/02/20 at 13:27:15

SpamyToo wrote on 09/02/20 at 03:17:55:
I think Id try to get a 1980's Honda XL600 frame. Should already be a street legal VIN and has a mono shock.

And the frame would take way way less cutting and adding to accommodate the LS650 motor.  An RM 250 motor is so much smaller than the LS650 that the frame would have to be cut to pieces and run the motor like 6 inches lower than normal which would put it down on the ground. You cant easily move the frame backbone any higher without compromising a lot of its strength.

And if you need to adapt forks to a frame let me know. I have several databases that will tell you what bearings you will need to make the exchange.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  When I pick up this frame, I might start on the front suspension first, just to make sure this can happen.  I will surely need some bearing cross referencing!  Thats good info about the Honda frame.  Never thought about that option.  I am limited to what he has.  Also, I'm not 100% sure this is an RM250.  I have to run the VIN ID.  It might be the big 465.  The owner said I was lucky it had the heavy duty suspension.  I think I need to walk back there again.

Also, here is an image of what I plan on doing.  Note that the front suspension ideally will also get swapped to the RM.  I do not have Adobe to make the edits, but I'm going to hand draw the idea.  I'll likely make some detailed measurements to include dimensions.

Blended.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #28 - 09/02/20 at 14:38:15

If you do in fact have the welding skills, then you know that you should build a frame from scratch. At the very least you should simply build your own subframe. We’ve seen it a dozen times on this forum.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/03/20 at 06:45:22

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/02/20 at 14:38:15:
If you do in fact have the welding skills, then you know that you should build a frame from scratch. At the very least you should simply build your own subframe. We’ve seen it a dozen times on this forum.

Hello Gary, nice to meet you.  My name also is Gary!!!  Go figure.  Thanks for chiming in.  A custom frame would require specialty tools that can bend steel I'd imagine.  I dont have access to that equipment.

When I was working at a small engine repair department in high school, this mechanic could fix, every FN piece of equipment that came in the shop.  One day, I asked him how he learned all his stuff.  He told me, "I was a poor kid, that wanted a fast car."

That guy really impacted me because that's exactly what I was.
Perhaps I do have the welding skills, but not the $ nor equipment to fabricate a frame from scratch.  That's why I am dedicated to this Frankenstein build.  It utilizes the skills and equipment currently available to see the project all the way to the end.  That's really important for projects.

This Savage was given to me.....free.....I don't see why I would not use this frame , even if I have to beef it up.  It currently houses the motor and motor mounts.  I think I would only have to solve the rear most motor mount because it looks like the frame "blend" will need to be in that area.   I wont be taking 10 foot jumps.....not at first at least  Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:13:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Dual Sport

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.