Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Non standard battery recommendations (Read 87 times)
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Non standard battery recommendations
08/14/20 at 09:51:14

Hi team,

I'm currently running a standard battery on my savage but I have some big thirsty fog lights running off it. If i accidentally leave them on with the bike off, the battery is dead in 4 minutes. Any recommendations for stronger battery options? I don't want to go Lithium (have had trouble in the past).

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Non standard battery recommendations
Reply #1 - 08/14/20 at 12:18:43

The bigger question is, can the stator keep up with the demand. I don't care how big a battery you want to lug around, if your "big thirsty fog lights" are using much more than 50-75 watts (amps x voltage, so about 5 amps) you'll always be draining the battery.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/14/20 at 12:35:05

I would try LED headlamps 1st.

what type bulbs do they use?

and the standard Head lamp will drain the battery too.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/14/20 at 13:08:52

I agree with Verslagen and would look into an LED alternative if possible.  I had PIAA but those might be overkill.

I would rather reduce my power needs than increase how much power I have to haul around.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/14/20 at 13:28:38

a standard H4-55watt bulb draws 4.6 amps and a LED will draw 1.5 amps.

So changing to LED on all 3 lamps will keep it to stock amperage requirements.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/15/20 at 10:05:37

You could get a little less draw by disconnecting the front running lights from the front turn signals.
Just unplug the green wires from the front signals.
That will save about 10 or 15W constant draw.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kiwicruisette
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/15/20 at 11:12:53

Thanks for all your replies. They are LEDs and are wired up to optimize for battery preservation. Regardless they still kill the battery within 4 mins. Im looking for alternative battery recommendations but it sounds like thats not an option without upgrading the whole systems (alternator etc). Thanks for all your help!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 08/15/20 at 11:56:56

We don’t have an alternator, we have a stator that produces AC that is rectified to DC. Perhaps Ricky Stators can build you a stator with a higher output. Or, perhaps your current stator isn’t making full power. Check the AC output of each of the three legs (the yellow wires) and make sure you are making at least 60VAC @ 3000 rpm and that all three legs are within a few volts of each other.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 08/15/20 at 13:04:15

Are you running the fog lights all the time and if so for what reason, safety? perhaps disconnect the right hand one, or incorporate a switch so thatyou can use the right hand one only in fog.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/16/20 at 09:11:48

The stock electrical charging system only puts out about 100 watts.  The stock running lights and rear tail light are 8 watts each.....so 24 watts are used up there.  The stock H4 headlight is 55 watts on low beam and 60 watts on high beam.  The instrument panel has a small bulb is about 1.5 watts I believe.......and another 1.5 watts is added for the high beam indicator light when you are using the high beam.  All these steady "ON" lights use up 80.5 watts on low beam and 87 watts on high beam.  That leaves 13 - 19.5 watts to charge the battery and run the intermittent electrical devices like the turn signals, horn and brake light.  If you have a cell phone charger wired in......you have to add that into the calculations.

The battery and power can only make very "temporary" power supplies to make up for any shortages in power when you are using the turn signals and brake light....the stock brake light uses 24 watts of power - so when the brake light is on you are short 11-4.5 watts of power and the battery is discharging.  You recharge the battery during the period you are not using the brakes (or horn or turn signals).

Since you have changed to an LED headlight and running lights, your math will be a bit different.  You could disconnect your factory running lights in the front, as your fog lights are doing the job the running lights used to do (that will get you back 16 watts).  You could also change your tail light to an LED to get another 4 or 5 watts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 00:14:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Non standard battery recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.