Send Topic Print
Can't get bike to start (Read 68 times)
mrylp
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can't get bike to start
08/13/20 at 13:13:58

After rebuilding the carb on my '04, I decided to get a new battery for the bike too and kill two birds with one stone. I couldn't get the bike to start and ended up taking the battery back and trading it out, and that battery wouldn't work, so I went back. The guy at the store said those two batteries were from a "bad batch" and that this 3rd one would work for sure. I was able to get the bike to run for about 4 days and even rode around a little yesterday, and then today the battery died. Any ideas on what else it could be? The only other thing I've done to the bike since then is take out the left turn signal (it was cracked from falling over in a storm when I had it parked outside my boyfriend's apartment).

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Can't get bike to start
Reply #1 - 08/13/20 at 13:39:18

You need a voltmeter to test and monitor the battery.  Take it out, charge it, make sure it is at full load and then test it the next day. If it is not still at peak charge it is the battery for sure. If it is at peak charge the next day then the next step is do the same test with it in your bike hooked up.  If you test it the next day and it is drained, you have a wiring issue somewhere that is causing a parasitic drain on your battery and killing it....Look in the last place you did something, i.e. the left turn signal that you took out.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
mrylp
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/13/20 at 17:50:26

When I took out the turn signal all I did was disconnect where it originally connected and left it like that. Could that cause a parasitic drain?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/13/20 at 20:15:01

The guy at the store said those two batteries were from a "bad batch" and that this 3rd one would work for sure. I

Refund
Go buy a battery elsewhere
See what happens

You can't start it
Kill it
Start it
Kill it
Start it
Ride it
More than a couple of minutes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/13/20 at 21:53:46

To confirm it is the battery causing the no start problem, try jump starting it from a car or jump starter.

If you have a volt meter, a fully charged battery should read 12.6V with ignition off and not drop below 10v when the starter is cranking.

Starting with a fully charged battery and the negative terminal disconnected, note the voltage. Connect the negative terminal. Voltage should not drop at all.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/14/20 at 09:34:59

ckahleer wrote on 08/13/20 at 21:53:46:
To confirm it is the battery causing the no start problem, try jump starting it from a car or jump starter.

If using a car, DO NOT HAVE THE CAR CRANKED UP as it can risk overloading the charging system on the bike. It is better to do this with the car's ignition off.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 07:26:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't get bike to start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.