865 Triumph (Read 157 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
865 Triumph
07/26/20 at 18:38:35

Has anybody known a person who was happy with one of these ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254666558170?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=254666558170

I wanted one like this as a teenager , but got a CB350 Twin instead , then later a SX650 .   But never got a Triumph .  

« Last Edit: 07/26/20 at 20:11:48 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 865 Triumph
Reply #1 - 07/26/20 at 19:22:02

My friend has the 1,200 Bonneville, and claims it is a lot better than the 900 engine.

I have ridden his 1,200, and it is really nice.....they toured Europe on it for 6 weeks and it didn't let them down.

I have a feeling it you got the 1,200......you wouldn't be looking at anything else for a long while.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/26/20 at 19:23:23

Im waiting for the LS 650 20000 to hit the market..
I dont care if I hafta go to Germany to get it,, either

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 07/26/20 at 19:59:58

Well the 865 is the last of the air cooled is why I was looking at it .   The liquid cooled machines just turn me off.   I could be all right with an oil cooler to help on hot days but no big radiator if I can help it so I don't want the 1200 even if it was free.

The 790 Triumph would be Ok , but there ain't many of them with less than 5K miles on them.    That's what made me look at this one.

I wouldn't bid over the $3500. on a 2009 machine because I've already got a Guzzi for my "WE" bike .   So I'm either buy it cheep or leave it to the next feller.

But still , having a Triumph for a while would fill a teenage dream .    I think this model uses shims for the valve adjustments like the Suzuki 425 -500 twins did.   That seems like a very good thing to my way of thinking.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 07/27/20 at 07:34:17

MM,
I owned a Triumph T100 for 11 years. Wonderful bike, very smooth and powerful enough for me. Only put 19K miles on it but it never missed a beat.
The only reason I sold it was it was a bit too heavy for me 500#. Thus the S40. Smiley

When it came to checking the valves at I believe 12K they were all in spec. and didn't need anything.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/27/20 at 09:49:58

I've sort of been keeping an eye open for one also in either the Bonnie, the America, or the Speedmaster version. I've seen a few that caught my attention but they were just too far away.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 07/27/20 at 11:02:53

Hay Springman , this one is in Florida , about the same distance for both of us.   2009 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE SE

I'm not in the bidding yet on the second round but did bid $3250 on the first round and was high bidder.   The reserve wasn't met .   I'm thinking after a few rounds of not meeting the reserve the RESERVE will come down.   It is a 2009 after all , but its got less than 5K miles on it so it may not even be broke-in good yet !  
It looks like a "Clean out the Garage " deal to me.
The seat height looks low enough that those almost 500#'s might not seem to be as much.  The Sportster was 580# ???  I think. But it sat taller.
Let me know if your bidding , I know you don't have a "WE" bike yet.  Smiley

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/27/20 at 13:29:24

"some signs of weather and patina on some of the chrome, exhaust pipes and some fasteners, there are some scratches on the left side of the windshield and mirror..."

Decoded: Bike was probably stored outside in FL and all of the salt air is what caused all of the rust...and what rust you do see is what we couldn't scrub off because we're sorta lazy and there are likely a lot more surprises for the new owner.  

MM doesn't care though...because he will have that bike up on the lift with a welding torch and sawz-all on it as soon as he got it home.  Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/27/20 at 17:09:41

Even if it was stored indoors the air is still salty and it being 11 years old some light rust on the bolt heads is to be expected .

If it was out doors in Florida rust would show up in the pictures.    So Stew it might just be normal for an 11 years old bike sitting in a garage for the last 9 year. ?

Also since the bike has 4K miles on it points to the New bike gets rode for the first two years , then one hot summer the bike gets parked and the New car takes over .

Then 9 year later the 11 year old bike shows up on ebay , The biggest surprise is that its not at the same time as the Christmas VISA bill showing up in the mail ???  Huh

« Last Edit: 07/27/20 at 19:41:23 by MMRanch »  

Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 07/27/20 at 22:55:47

When the limited edition Thruxton with the red frame came out I came SO close to buying one. All I could see were the areas that needed to be improved, and reminded myself I already had enough project bikes. Having said that, a lot of folks are happy with them stock or slightly modified.
A bud had a very similar model to the one in the link. Nice thing about the mags is that they are tubeless. Did an Outex tubeless conversion on a wire wheel bike. Worked brilliantly.
Did a little work on a bud's bike. He always thought the brakes were wooden. I made an adapter bracket for a 4 piston Brembo off a Duck. Had to use a different master cylinder. Worked great.
Bikes were 795, then 865, then 865 with injection. Carbs were pretty easy to rejet, but with the ethanol problems, I'd rather do injection.
Had one meathead who just removed the mufflers on a carb bike, and ran only the head pipes. Even then, I was able to get it to run OK. Wanted to shoot him because it was so loud.
There is a simple free software program for remapping the FI. Saw a lot that were only getting low 30's MPG after a hot-up and bad remap. Had one dyno tuned (after a local shop had done pipes and a bad remap) and went from low 30's tools 40's.
A few mods go a long way. Did mufflers and some airbox twiddling on a few. Nice thing about muffs is you can ditch the Catastrophic Converters. Lose some serious weight. I like the airbox mods rather than airbox elimination.

Had another customer who lost his mind. I found an aluminum swingarm for it. Maybe $1K? gorgeous!  Did the rear fender removal and pods. Did a 6 piston front caliper and different master cylinder. Nice.
Major hacking and sawing of all components on that bike.
There is a kit to eliminate the oil cooler and route the oil through the frame rails. Cost over $800 and includes swapping out a frame rail. We did it. Looks SO much better and supposedly cools better. And, many pounds lighter.
Lost prob 50 pounds by the time we were done with all the mods. He prob put $20K into the bike. Then the water cooled bikes came out and were better in every way. He banged his head against the wall for days.

Forks and shocks are pretty primitive. Did Ricor intimidators, Racetech springs, and better fork oil on a few Bonnies and Thruxtons. MUCH better.
Shocks are crap. Lots of choices. Tried a few different brands.
I like the factory centerstand. You can add it to any model. The aftermarket ones are not brilliant and take some work to install.
Put a Bosch headlight in one to replace the underwhelming stock unit. Stock headlight bucket.
Did LED turn signals on a few to tidy up front and rear.  Tidies things up.
Lots of seat choices out there as well.
Ditch the Air Injection stuff. Lose little weight, head runs cooler, sounds nicer. Have to splice in a resistor and plug a few holes. Easy.
The Triumph Rat forum is amazing. Lots of good advice. Lots of knowledgeable folks.
Shim valve adjustment. A little tedious. Easier if you buy a few factory tools. Done a few. Not traumatic.
Synch the throttle bodies or carbs easily.
Bike should weigh 50 lbs less than it does. Dropping 10 pounds is cheap and easy. 50 is expensive.
Had one guy buy an aluminum tank that 'bolts on'. 10 hours of labor later we went back to stock. Maybe there are better choices now.
Answer your question?
I like the bikes. If you can get one cheap, great. The water cooled bikes are SO much better. Thats why the prices of the oil cooled bikes finally dropped.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #10 - 07/27/20 at 23:41:11

The air down here just destroys the exposed metals, my s40 looks like its 30 years old because of the corrosion.  i do live about 2 miles from the ocean but i think even worse is the sand.  the sand is all over the roads and is constantly blasting any leading surface and it shows.  

MMRanch wrote on 07/27/20 at 17:09:41:
Even if it was stored indoors the air is still salty and it being 11 years old some light rust on the bolt heads is to be expected .

If it was out doors in Florida rust would show up in the pictures.    So Stew it might just be normal for an 11 years old bike sitting in a garage for the last 9 year. ?

Also since the bike has 4K miles on it points to the New bike gets rode for the first two years , then one hot summer the bike gets parked and the New car takes over .

Then 9 year later the 11 year old bike shows up on ebay , The biggest surprise is that its not at the same time as the Christmas VISA bill showing up in the mail ???  Huh

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 07/28/20 at 07:37:22

I live in El Paso and after 11 years my bike looked just like new. I am fastidious but the El Paso weather was the main reason. Never had to ride it in the rain.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 07/28/20 at 09:55:05

my bike looked just like new.  

You sold it ?     It would be hard to live in the perfect Motorcycle Climate ad not have a Bike of some of some sort.  Huh

zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 07/28/20 at 21:41:43

I'd give my left one for those wheels! You can have the rest of the bike!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 07/28/20 at 21:49:03

As I said it became a bit too heavy for me.

I now have an S40 Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 15:02:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › 865 Triumph

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.