Send Topic Print
Crankshaft Cover Heat (Read 83 times)
RH FACTOR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crankshaft Cover Heat
07/19/20 at 11:20:29

Is it normal during hot weather? I got blisters on my left inner heel. Or am I not wearing proper footwear. I was wearing leather street zipper boots.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Crankshaft Cover Heat
Reply #1 - 07/19/20 at 11:25:51

Well,, theres more than one kinda boot,, and if it weighs 4 ounces,, its too thin..Nobody can answer that,, but you can//
Go look at some No kIDDIN  riding gear,,If your boot is really much different,,maybe oure wearing something not suitable..

How far did ya ride?
How hat was it?
How fast were you going?
Parade speeds are bad news,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RH FACTOR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/19/20 at 11:32:49

I rode a little over 50 miles. Highway mostly mixed with some street. 70 mph highway speed, 30 mph street speed. It was over 90 degrees. I bought my bike last October, probably ride every 10 days or so, usually mostly highway. I have ridden about 1,200 miles since I bought it, same shoes. First time for blisters, although I have felt some heat there. I guess the heat is normal?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/19/20 at 11:38:54

Maybe you got a bit lazy and let your heel ride in on the engine, and once you felt it, the leather was hot enough to finish blistering you..

Probably nothing is changed,, engine didnt sieze, but I would Most ASSuredly check the oil..and if its almost time for a change,, Id probably do that..

What are you running in it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RH FACTOR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/19/20 at 11:47:41

I check the oil site window before every ride, pretty much full, and I don't have any leaks. I do ride with my shoe up against the cover, which is probably telling on myself. But at highway speed draw my feet and legs in. Probably a rookie mistake. But I am probably wearing shoes that are too thin, even though they are leather. I run 20/50 living here in south Texas

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/19/20 at 12:31:48

Some guys have done some testing and Im not sure what they concluded,, so Im gonna Not tell YOU what they said,, But
I run Rotella 15-40, synthetic, available at Tractor Supply for under $15,00 a gallon,, or therabouts..
Im in Longview,, plenty hot,, of curse, Im a pedestrian right now, because some woman decided to turn left,,

IP Logged
RH FACTOR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/19/20 at 14:43:35

Thank you and sorry about the left turn. I got my Texas endorsement last September and have 2 intersection close calls already.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/19/20 at 14:53:46

Well,, she was waiting to turn left and there was a beer truck in the left lane, I was in the middle, and trailing the truck just enough that when he cleared her fender, she nailed it and collected me at 45 mph.. I was goin 45,, she was probably up to 25 or so by there,,
If ya See someone waiting to turn, there are tricks to make them see ya,, AND
Dont be without someone ahead of ya to take the bullet..

You csn swerve back and forth in your lane,, I flick my light, high to low a few times,, I have no ide who would ever think thats a signal for GO Ahead, Cut me off,, but someone will share that sage wisdom,,

IP Logged
RH FACTOR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/23/20 at 14:59:39

No heat felt in hiking boots today.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/23/20 at 15:15:33

Are you positive?

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 07/24/20 at 01:56:50

You can purchase an IR gun type thermometer which are pretty cheap and will give you an objective take, but the engine does get pretty hot. You can paint a little black patch on the engine for the IR thermometer.

I also found the battery electrolytes drop pretty fast in hot weather, and it's a PITA to check it so it's probably worth thinking about putting in a sealed battery. So do keep an eye on the levels in the meantime.

Flicking your hi beam, is often taken as a signal to go. I have a modulator installed on my bike, but even then I don't leave anything to chance, you have to assume that people are going to do this crap. Are you saying she did not have her indicator on either?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 07/24/20 at 07:10:39

All motorcycle engines get very hot. Your's isn't the exception. That's why we have a heat shield on the right side exhaust.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/24/20 at 07:51:02

Because motorcycles wear their insides on the outside,.. there is tendency to notice heat.
You wouldn't think of opening the hood of your car after 50 miles of driving and laying your hand on the engine.

Engines get hot...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/24/20 at 09:18:02

Are you saying she did not have her indicator on either?

If youretalkin to me, it wouodnt have mattered,,
She was out of sight, blocked by a truck in the left lane ahead of me,, as soon as he cleared her fender, she nailed it,, I never saw the front of her car, ony the side,, she was hookin it,, and I was goin 45, and I didnt even have time to step on or grab brakes,, I just stepped off the bike,, still had weight on my right peg when the front tire hit the door,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:45:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crankshaft Cover Heat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.