Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some questions after searching (Read 95 times)
Ulfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Some questions after searching
07/11/20 at 10:51:29

Alright. So I've got some questions related to my buddies bike.  It seemed like a great deal when we were out looking at it, and decided to buy it.

2 months later I'm questioning myself on whether or not my support of him buying it was a good idea.  I've taken some pictures, and spent the last few days laid up in bed after bad clams (never a good idea in the desert, no matter what I tell myself. >< ) had been reading the forums and putting together a list of things I feel I should address.

The bike is a 2012 S40, from what I can tell completely stock.  I have replaced the muffler with a Dyna because the previous owner hacked off the end of the stock one, and pulled the baffles. It was loud, and we kinda respect out neighbors here. We are about a mile up in the mountains in central NM (ABQ, essentially).

I have not done the Raptor petcock yet, but it is sitting in the garage on my work bench ready for this weekend I think, because it has some weird fuel delivery issues, and will occasionally smell like fuel. The other day it died on him turning a corner (with the stock petcock set to reserve) and did not want to restart after switching it back to on. It finally did, and ran rough the last mile to his job. Restarted fine about an hour later with the choke on, and idled fine. Drove him home 7 hours later with zero issues. I did buy a genuine Yamaha Raptor part.

Other than the muffler I did, there are no modifications or upgrades to the bike.  It was clean when we bought it, and supposedly had I thought about 4k miles. When we got the title, it said about 12k miles *(or so, I don't recall exactly) and it was explained it was a mistype from the dealership.  I accepted that because it was a clear, clean original title, FROM the dealership. Naturally this blew up backwards when we went to register and now it's a not actual mileage title. Live and learn, I guess. Moving on.

However, I am noticing oil under the header pipe; not coming FROM the header pipe or exhaust area, but from the bolt beneath it. I took some pictures to clarify what I'm talking about; It doesn't seem to be a flow of oil, but there is definitely oil coming from somewhere.

I have sent an email about the Verslavy mod, because I can clearly see it's something that isn't really an option, but a need for this bike. I will do the oil plug as well. What I'm wondering most is where this oil is coming from, and what I need to do to fix it. *edit* and I have gotten a reply.  I'm just putting money together. Smiley

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VxxKhIeVGI2W6Q5SsfOIrxMqKoqZMtvr/view?usp=shari
ng

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W-9060OPn4TyqeH7sRXoNNVdrMo_7QJg/view?usp=shari
ng

And a picture of the bike

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W-S7bQmgrbqndH1Z1OGS3DdMRfZ9OQTI/view?usp=shari
ng

It did not look like it had 12xxx miles on it, so for 2200 dollars, we thought he was doing great. Smiley

Thanks ahead of time, and I'm sure I'll be spending plenty of time here, hahah. Smiley

I hope the google image links work.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Some questions after searching
Reply #1 - 07/11/20 at 11:47:34

That's a nice lookin scooter.

The leak seems unusual.  If it's the infamous head plug, you should see an accumulation of oil in the cavity adjacent to the exhaust port.  The plug provides access to the right-front cylinder head nut.  This picture shows the cavity and the nut.  Look in the cavity adjacent to the exhaust port.  See if you can post a picture.

Head_Plug_Leak_Telltale2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 07/11/20 at 11:59:40

It sure looks like a head plug leak to me. There is a slight possibility of the nut under the exhaust being loose. You could try tightening it a bit but be careful not to over tighten it. Clean the oil off the head thoroughly before you try to identify the leak.

I think you will be having a conversation with Mr Verslagen before it is all over. It is not a very big deal to repair.

Be sure to let us all know how it turns out.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/11/20 at 12:41:46

Id get a few miles on it,, then start workin on it,,
Sure swap the petcock,, Im talkin about internal work,, Make sure ya know everything ya need to know, Dont button it up and
Find something 100 mmiles later,

When the wrenches come out
Cardboard with slots to hold every bolt in its own spot,, so going together, you know which bolt goes where.
Id shoot some kinda GunkOff on it and see how bad the oil leak is,, and know exactly what I was chasing, if opssible,,

If youre going into the clutch area, get a new Oring for the actuator thru the case,, its ten cents well spent,
If its weepin,, its just one of those, Aww, Man,, really? things,, its not bad enuff to go back in and fix it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ulfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/11/20 at 13:29:23

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/11/20 at 11:47:34:
That's a nice lookin scooter.

The leak seems unusual.  If it's the infamous head plug, you should see an accumulation of oil in the cavity adjacent to the exhaust port.  The plug provides access to the right-front cylinder head nut.  This picture shows the cavity and the nut.  Look in the cavity adjacent to the exhaust port.  See if you can post a picture.

Thank for the reply! Smiley  He really likes this bike considering his first one was a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, and he's 6' 230, and that's what he's been riding for a year and a ... half or so.

I did lots of reading and looking; and other peoples leaks for the head plug did not seem to match up with this one, and that's initially what made me anxious it could be bad. I did take a picture up in that port before, but I didn't post it. Here it is now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W-puXwHC9f9KmjiUADuUSjph99vVF_tt/view?usp=shari
ng
It's really clean up in there, and that made me think it WASN'T the head plug. So here I am, haha.

IP Logged
Ulfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/11/20 at 13:30:57

norm92de wrote on 07/11/20 at 11:59:40:
It sure looks like a head plug leak to me. There is a slight possibility of the nut under the exhaust being loose. You could try tightening it a bit but be careful not to over tighten it. Clean the oil off the head thoroughly before you try to identify the leak.

I think you will be having a conversation with Mr Verslagen before it is all over. It is not a very big deal to repair.

Be sure to let us all know how it turns out.

I have already been in contact, as that was one of the first things I wanted to be able to do when I joined up.  Smiley I stupidly did not think to spray down and watch where the oil is coming from freshly. It DOES look like it's coming from that nut. Like if it was a banjo bolt that was just a little loose or had a bad crush washer?

IP Logged
Ulfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/11/20 at 13:35:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/20 at 12:41:46:
Id get a few miles on it,, then start workin on it,,
Sure swap the petcock,, Im talkin about internal work,, Make sure ya know everything ya need to know, Dont button it up and
Find something 100 mmiles later,

When the wrenches come out
Cardboard with slots to hold every bolt in its own spot,, so going together, you know which bolt goes where.
Id shoot some kinda GunkOff on it and see how bad the oil leak is,, and know exactly what I was chasing, if opssible,,

If youre going into the clutch area, get a new Oring for the actuator thru the case,, its ten cents well spent,
If its weepin,, its just one of those, Aww, Man,, really? things,, its not bad enuff to go back in and fix it,,

I forgot to mention he HAS been riding it; for a couple months. It's USUALLY without issue. There was one morning when it was a reallllllly rough start and idle, and blew blue smoke like no tomorrow (it was WAAAAAY rich) The rest of that ride and day he had no issues with it, and it has not done that since.   It seems to run flawlessly otherwise. He and I have gone on some rides and it definitely pulls and doesn't seem to have issues really. It's just these weird things that I see and make me say "hmmm I should do these maintenance things" petcock, and what not.

I have to pull the left (sitting on the bike) side to check the tensioner, right? Do I need to buy a specific gasket for that, or can I use RTV?

*edit* thanks for reminding me about the cardboard! I had seen that when I was reading something else and I'd meant to make a note of it; I'd have totally forgotten if you hadn't. I'm 36 and still don't make templates. XD

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 07/11/20 at 14:04:22

You have to pull the right side cover to access the tensioner.

You may need a clutch cover gasket. I have been in mine and didn't need one. The old gasket was reusable.

Sometimes a bit of RTV on the nut will seal it if that is your problem.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/11/20 at 17:34:26

That nut under the exhaust can leak.  I believe it comes from the right rear of the cylinder where the oil supply pumps up to the head.  The oil can evidently move in between the head gasket plies, and seep out that nut.

Remove the nut, clean the oil off the nut and stud - then apply a small amount of sealer under the nut.....and get a little bit on the threads as well.

Then forget about it!

« Last Edit: 07/12/20 at 03:44:52 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ulfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/11/20 at 18:30:42

norm92de wrote on 07/11/20 at 14:04:22:
You have to pull the right side cover to access the tensioner.

You may need a clutch cover gasket. I have been in mine and didn't need one. The old gasket was reusable.

Sometimes a bit of RTV on the nut will seal it if that is your problem.

Man that would have been embarrassing Tongue. x)
I'll try to get into it this weekend. Since I didn't see oil in the port near the header pipe, I think it IS that nut; I see another reply supporting that theory with you. I have plenty of RTV left over from when I did the rear diff on my jeep XJ, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, and I can move on to the Raptor and see if that fixes the weird fuel stuff.  

IP Logged
Ulfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/11/20 at 18:32:07

Dave wrote on 07/11/20 at 17:34:26:
That nut under the exhaust can leak.  I believe it comes from the right rear of the cylinder where the oil supply pumps up to the head.  The oil can evidently move in between the head gasket plies, and seep out that nut.

Remove the nut, clean the oil off the nut and stud - then apply a small amount of sealer under the nut.....and get a little bit on the threads as well.

Then forget about it!  

It really seems like you all think alike; the oil that is there seems to come ONLY from the nut/stud/bolt that is there, and no where else. Everywhere else it is seems to be just what's blown from him riding. Smiley

I'm gonna get into it tomorrow, and see if I can look at the adjuster while I'm doing things.

I'll keep everyone posted!

« Last Edit: 07/12/20 at 03:44:14 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 07/12/20 at 04:54:54

It's from that nut.  Mine did that.  Easy fix as Dave said.  The petcock should solve your other issues.

IP Logged
akhsha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/13/20 at 10:24:18

I'm nearly positive I almost bought that bike a few months ago for a trip home across the country. Somebody snatched it out from under me and I wound up buying a 2009 s40 up in Denver! Small world

2009 S40 with about 11k miles.
Verslavy, Raptor petcock, 12.5" shocks, harley muffler, 55 pilot jet, half size nylon washer.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 02:12:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Some questions after searching

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.