Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
vm 36 or vm 38 (Read 66 times)
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

vm 36 or vm 38
06/20/20 at 08:53:42

hi my bike has a voodoo exhaust, dr 650 cam a 94 mm high comp piston from Lancer,the exhuast port has been slightly enlarged and it has a K N air filter direct to the carbi.
                                I am thinking of putting a vm round side  carbi on it ,should I go for the 36 mm or the 38 mm version,with my mods
                                 I still have a stock header, I wondered would that negate any performance gains from the better carbi and should I change the header first if I could find one or afford it
                               Many thanks Nick

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: vm 36 or vm 38
Reply #1 - 06/20/20 at 12:28:02

Don't be afraid of that VM38.  It works great and will support more power mods in the future.  I'm currently runnin the 38 on mine with mods similar to yours.  Totally sweet.  Flawless.  Plenty of steam down low too.  If you are gonna shell out major league cash for a carburetor you might as well get one that will support future modifications as well.

Of course a larger header would be nice.  Those are a bit harder to come by.  I'm runnin the MAC header but its a bit too big (1.79"inside diameter).  I think a 1.62" or a 1.5" would be better but as I mentioned, hard to find.  Custom fabrication seems to be the only option with the header.  Even with that huge header and the VM38 it still has plenty of low end grunt.  It's a very forgiving engine.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/20/20 at 14:23:35

thanks  for your advice,I think I will go with the 38mm.
what jets are you using and are they the 8mm large round jets as on the stock carbi ?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/20/20 at 18:39:34

nickbilljim wrote on 06/20/20 at 14:23:35:
thanks  for your advice,I think I will go with the 38mm.
what jets are you using and are they the 8mm large round jets as on the stock carbi ?

The VM's use a 6mm hex head jet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:41:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › vm 36 or vm 38

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.