Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throttle Cables for VM roundslides (Read 47 times)
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Throttle Cables for VM roundslides
05/24/20 at 00:06:36

Hi all,
I have a 2016 S40 and I'm looking at fitting a VM36 or a VM38 carby.
Lancer and DragBikeMike have given me some good advice on jets and installation - a big thankyou.

I'm concerned about what type of throttle cable I'll need for the job.
I understand that the factory CV and the VM have very different throttle operations and configurations but I'm hoping to get some specifics on length, bends or adapters or whether the existing oem throttle will work etc.

I'm in Australia and I'm afraid purchasing a full kit from overseas is cost prohibitive at the moment.
Mikunioz here in Australia have a range of throttle cables etc but I have no idea if they will suit the bike and the owner (even tho extremely helpful) can't offer much advice on the suzuki,

Any help would be awesome in this area.
Thanks in advance Smiley everyone.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Throttle Cables for VM roundslides
Reply #1 - 05/24/20 at 03:38:37

I believe there are only a few choices on what you can do, as the Savage has unique hand throttle fittings.

Buy one from Lancer that has already been made.

Buy one from Motion Pro.

Make your own...provided you can solder well.  I go to bicycle shops and buy their brake line cables and sheaths.  The stuff has Teflon or some similar coating and the cables are stainless....the stuff works great.  The only hard part is that the cable is very easy to overheat while you are tinning the solder onto the cable, you need to scrape/sand the end of the cable to remove any coating, and you need a special flux for stainless.  Tinning the end of the cable is best done by putting a small piece of flat metal in a vise and heating a small pool of solder on the plate - then putting a small dab of flux on the cable end and dip it in the molten solder until it is tinned (putting flame directly on the cable end usually causes it to overheat and prevents tinning).

You can take your OEM cable apart to use the cable fittings.

Venhill also sells cable kits - but I don't like the roughness of their cable.  Do an internet search to find the appropriate Venhill Cable distributor.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #2 - 05/24/20 at 06:47:15

Coattailing off Dave, I used a brass cap fitting to pool the solder when I made my cables. Just stick it in a vise and clip a good piece of solder off into it. Makes for a nice pool.

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/26/20 at 04:43:19

Thanks guys, i appreciate the feedback as always great advice.
I'm looking at buying one from Lancer I reckon.
Does he have an online store or ebay shop or do you just email him or contact via the marketplace forum thread?

Sorry for so many questions guys, I really do hate bothering people.
My bike has just got me really excited!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 03:40:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle Cables for VM roundslides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.