Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loose cam chain vs. new cam chain (Read 69 times)
Spudster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loose cam chain vs. new cam chain
05/10/20 at 21:36:31

I am admittedly a newbie and my question likely old news to most. Having never heard or ridden a new Savage/S40, I don't know what the engine should sound like. I believe mine to be noisy and have already purchased the Verslavy tensioner to replace the stock one soon.

I have listened to endless videos reporting what a loose or noisy cam chain sounds like but have not found one where a new or quiet engine is running to compare. Being somewhat rare around here, I don't know of anyone who has one and the local Suzuki dealer never brings them in.

So is anyone willing to post a video of a nice quiet running engine for comparison?

I recently purchased my 2015 with 7,200 miles (11,500 km). As the history was unknown, I had the dealer perform the 7,500 mile service which included setting the valves and checking the automatic decompression cable and all tested within spec.

To me it runs strong, doesn't burn oil and seems to be in good shape but the engine is noisy. Especially when compared to my Honda 1,300 where the engine is very quiet with no knocking, clicking or rattling. The S40 sounds noisy at idle and I suspect the cam chain but more disconcerting is when I'm travelling at speed and give it hard throttle. The noise to me sounds like a knocking high up in the head area but not a pinging like detonation. This noise does not seem to affect performance but again, I have nothing to compare it to.

While I hope all quiets down after the Verslavy, I would appreciate the insight / advice of the more experienced Savage / S40 owners.

Thanks all for the very informative information on the forum.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Loose cam chain vs. new cam chain
Reply #1 - 05/10/20 at 22:20:20

Old design, noisy valve train.. eliminate the noise, wreck a motor.
Dealers sell new designs.
The Good Oil for modern designs is not good for these engines.
Rotella is your friend.
Do you know what oil they put in?

You're pretty low mileage for chain issues. Not sure what the lowest mileage to be reported when a tensioner was out to the technical limit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/11/20 at 06:31:08

Verslagen ,has said that if the chain was loose (getting stretched/flopping) you should be able to feel a difference in vibration by placing your shoe against the right side cover.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Spudster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/11/20 at 15:09:13

Thanks so much for the response. I have read on the forum to use Shell Rotella T6 (synthetic) or T (non synthetic). Went to buy some and found T5 (semi synthetic) and T4 15W-40 Triple Protection. Is T a specific variation or are any of the T's ok to use?  I also saw Rislone Hy-per Lube  ZDDP supplement and read on here that adding ZDDP is a good thing. Can it be added to the Shell Rotella as well or is that overkill?

Thanks much!

batman wrote on 05/11/20 at 06:31:08:
Verslagen ,has said that if the chain was loose (getting stretched/flopping) you should be able to feel a difference in vibration by placing your shoe against the right side cover.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/11/20 at 15:14:01

Spudster wrote on 05/11/20 at 15:09:13:
Thanks so much for the response. I have read on the forum to use Shell Rotella T6 (synthetic) or T (non synthetic). Went to buy some and found T5 (semi synthetic) and T4 15W-40 Triple Protection. Is T a specific variation or are any of the T's ok to use?  I also saw Rislone Hy-per Lube  ZDDP supplement and read on here that adding ZDDP is a good thing. Can it be added to the Shell Rotella as well or is that overkill?

Thanks much!

batman wrote on 05/11/20 at 06:31:08:

T5 NO.
T4 yes.

You can confirm by checking the small print, it will list JASO MA in the spec's.

The adjuster will knock on the inside of the clutch cover, press your ankle against the cover and you'll feel it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/11/20 at 16:27:59

Adding ZDDP is more hassle and too much is bad,, Its not necessary and it has been determined to be a waste of time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 17:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loose cam chain vs. new cam chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.