Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
another chain tensioner pic (Read 278 times)
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
another chain tensioner pic
04/14/20 at 11:48:22

Hello. Just thought i would share my tensioner. Im sure you seen a million but to me, is beautiful inside.

With SO much time idle as of lately I started the search for the source of the noise that is driving me nuts, it led me this way since valves are checked in clearance.

Unfortunately I dont have means to access the chain to replace or check so tensioner it is.. for now..  
Anyway since I already have an older (unused) gasket hanging on my wall, I thought why not take a peek. Its on 20k mi after all  Huh Lips Sealed More gasket to come although it would be very nice to do in one go-around.

Its been a few years since i've gotten my hands greasy and dang it feels nice to get dirty and tear shat apart. Grin Cheesy

measured 20.25mm out  Angry

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: another chain tensioner pic
Reply #1 - 04/14/20 at 11:59:13

It's dead, Jim.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #2 - 04/14/20 at 16:21:29

fix it now with a modded tensioner, or else kiss that bike goodbye.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 04/14/20 at 17:26:07

Congrats you caught it in time!

No problem if you put in a Versy extension. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 04/14/20 at 17:35:09

I just saw the batman icon and did not look at the name, I was just about to post 'how can this be possible, batman'? when I see it's not batman it's mattman.

I've had a versy tensioner ready to drop in for a while and last time I looked there was still 6mm of travel to go, it dropped down to the 6mm but it stayed there for a while so last time I opened her up I put the versy on anyway on the first hole and said to the gf, whose bike it is, that even if the chain gets a bit loose at least the tensioner won't pop out and destroy the bike, so do keep an ear out for any extra sounds.

I've had a spare Athena green paper clutch cover gasket sitting here ready to use but even though I've had the cover off now about eight times, the original one is still good, and in fact I will never be using an after market gasket because I now see why the original is made of coated metal, it does not stick and it does not leak and it goes on and on, and makes taking the cover off much easier.

The clutch cover gasket is one OEM part that is well worth the cost. Same with the fuel hoses on a gs500, they're about $150 for all three, as opposed to $20 for do it yourself hoses.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #5 - 04/15/20 at 01:52:59

Just to be clear here  The original gasket can be used over and over?
I have time on my hands and would like to look at the tensioner but dont have access to a new gasket due to this lockdown thing.

Hiko   IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #6 - 04/15/20 at 08:50:26

Hiko wrote on 04/15/20 at 01:52:59:
I have time on my hands and would like to look at the tensioner but dont have access to a new gasket due to this lockdown thing.

Really depends on the condition its in.  If you never opened it up there is a good chance that when you pop the cover off the gasket will tear and pieces of it may be left behind that you would need to scrape off and put on a new gasket.  If you hear the noise it would be a good idea to stop riding and order a gasket and modded tensioner and switch it out to be safe.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 04/15/20 at 13:25:40

I've had my cover off twice and reused the original gasket both times.  Still have the new one I bought when doing the tensioner and keep it "just in case".  But, as already state, depends on each circumstance.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #8 - 04/16/20 at 21:43:33

I took my clutch cover off and the gasket came off clean The adjuster was out 14mm the bike has done 9477Kms so only 4mm to go .
This has made me a little nervous so I decided to do some thing about it
 Here is what I came up with
The post that supports the tensioner has a long thread into the engine block so by putting 3mm of washers behind it it is possible to run a guide arm over the 12mm part of the post and extend the tensioner
It all fits OK and hopefully will make the tensioner safe from overextending
The guide looks to be in good shape from what I could see of it
The extension of the tensioner would depend on the bend of the guide so it may have been extended quite a way from new
 As has been said before not a very good design

tensioner_001.JPG
Hiko   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 04/17/20 at 04:51:37

Hiko wrote on 04/15/20 at 01:52:59:

Yes, if it's the original one it is designed to be reused many times. It is coated metal. I've had mine off 6 times at least maybe more over the past few years. Still looks new. I think someone dropped one recently on their tank and damaged it. The tank that is not the gasket.

Looks like the tensioner is a bit of a crap shoot, our one has done 40k kms, and is still on the first hole, gonna be checking it soon.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 04/17/20 at 12:42:46

Hey Hiko, that's a pretty clever contraption you came up with.  If possible, can you post a picture with it installed?  Can you keep us posted on how it works out, maybe do a test report?

Thanks, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #11 - 04/17/20 at 16:55:04

Here it is installed I removed the far out hole as by the time it got out there the two sides of the chain would be rubbing together
 I now have at least 18 mm of travel to go before it hits the end of the slot
 It will be a few weeks before I get to do any riding with this lockdown thing

IMG_3594_tensioner_tnstalled.JPG
Hiko   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #12 - 04/18/20 at 00:51:05

I have decided to abandon this method of curing my tensioner woes
I feel their is insufficient clearance between it and the oil gallery inside the clutch cover [1mm] to prevent it tapping against the cover so at this stage I think I will just extend the plunger and do regular checks
The tiny tension pin into the thin plunger wall does not seem robust to me
as a real solution maybe I am wrong. I would have thought Suzuki after 34 years would have fixed this issue.

Hiko   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #13 - 04/19/20 at 21:02:41

Tensioner Contraption MK2

Revisited this with a redesign running the strap over the top There is just enough room there but had to trim the gasket where it protrudes into the clutch case  I like this design better No circlip fitted in the pic

IMG_3597_Tensioner_installed.JPG
Hiko   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #14 - 05/09/20 at 08:44:38

Before.

20200428_143617_HDR1.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 19:43:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › another chain tensioner pic

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.