Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on after market muffler (Read 314 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Thoughts on after market muffler
Reply #15 - 05/10/20 at 16:06:59

I know one thing for sure.. I can holler louder than the horn on the savage..
After the horn had no effect, I screamed at some broad in a pasrking lot and she woke up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 05/10/20 at 17:39:13

Jasongibby,   You're correct I'm not a nice guy ,however I am an honest guy ,everything I said was straight forward and correct.
 I've been riding over 40yrs and aSavage for 25, and I'll be 72 next month. does that qualify me as old school or do I have to run an obnoxiously loud muffler to past your test?

« Last Edit: 05/10/20 at 18:55:36 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 05/10/20 at 18:03:17

Then why bother with a muffler at all? You need to make all the noise. Be heard man. Save a life.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #18 - 05/11/20 at 20:36:21

RANT ALERT!!!!!

Loud pipes are obnoxious and there is no actual proof that they save lives.  Plenty of riders with loud pipes die every year.    

That myth is mostly purveyed by self-centered douchbags who are in fact breaking the law in most cases.  I prefer to be semi-considerate to my fellow human beings and try to keep my noise within reason.  People have the right to reasonable peace and quiet.  That's why we have laws regarding noise.

Helmets have been proven to save lives.  But, far too many loud pipe douchbags refuse to wear them.  It's their right they say. Go figure??

Choosing a loud pipe affects society as a whole and it's not actually your right to make noise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against rights. I choose an open face helmet and don't wear any other real protective clothing. It's my right to choose in Ohio.  Sure, I'll be in a world or hurt if I get in an accident.  I just hope my helmet might save my life.  But those are choices that mostly affect my life along with my family.  I do not have the right to make as much noise as I want.

And ANYONE who throws a leg over a bike is an ACTUAL rider.  Grow up.

Loud pipe or not, I sincerely hope you are safe out there.  

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #19 - 05/11/20 at 21:18:56

Just when the ''oil wars'' cool down a little, we get a new ''LOUD PIPES WAR''.
I often ride 10 - 12+ hour days, so loud pipes are out of the question.

The test of your pipes being too loud is-

1- Do your neighbors throw rotten fruit or vegies at you?
( or do they want to )

2- Can you still hear anything over that ringing in your ears?

I won't ride near bikes with really loud pipes, but that is not a issue for long as most of them think 10 miles is a LONG trip.

BUT, I will admit if you are not paying attention to EVERYTHING & EVERYONE around you at ALL times,( like you should IF you want to make it home without bleeding ) loud pipes annoying everyone around you MIGHT help them know you are there.

And it might give them a reason to do something bad.

Just ride like everyone else on the road is sooner or later going to try to kill you!

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/13/20 at 04:00:00

I run a dyna muffler on my 2016 S40.
It has a built in catalytic and to be honest once warmed up it's quite loud at highway speeds but quite tame through traffic.
Just what I wanted and very cheap.
I scored a pair of dyna mufflers for $40 aud.
Great value imho. Wink

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #21 - 05/13/20 at 12:21:40

Hey, sorry to have started a fire storm here. Just trying to pass some advice to someone considering a VooDoo exhuast. For the record, there is a difference between louder and loud. Many have made the Dyna swap, why, often for some, a more dignified sound. But it is louder then the stock muffler.

I stated right up front that the VooDoo is loud and obnoxious. That is why I have put not 1, but 2 additional baffles in mine. As it is now it is louder then a Dyna, but not exceptionally. I actually built and installed the first baffle so as it is not a stright shot. It is now set up so there is an offset in direction of all the various inward bent diversion baffles in the set-up, you can not see any light through the thing. At the back end I added a second catalytic baffle to quite it more.

I have spent most of my life in the sound industry. I have worked as a live mix engineer and speaker cabinet designer and builder and custom fabricator to the sound and stage lighting industry. One thing I will bring up, and I did mention this in my post was the issue of directionality of sound. As a quick explanation, sound is actually the propagation of a wave and waves move in direction based on the source of the energy that created it. In the case of a muffler that would be the exit of the tailpipe. On most tailpipes that is straight out the back, so the wave is projected out away from where you actually sit on the bike and hear it. The point being your pipe may be loud you just don't get the full effect of it unless you are behind the bike.

The thing with a turn out (like the VooDoo) is just that, the source of the wave is pointed outward towards the side, hence why I recommended it also must be modified to be a partial turn down. Proprogation as a turn down is not out into the open air but more down towards the pavement. Often exhausts (turn outs or straight fire back are perceived as excessively loud because they are broadcasting the waves directly outward. So what I am saying is the direction of the exit of the exhaust can also influence the perception how loud it is.

My VooDoo with the mods is not too loud when at idle, or low rpm cruising, but it does annonce you when you accelerate in passing through the blind spot in a cars rear view mirror.

I agree with the concept that nothing replaces responsible attentive riding practices. But noise is a factor that does get people to realize there may be a motocycle in their peripheral. In the era we all ride in today cars have become more vacuumed sealed, climate controlled, internet connected isolation boxes. It's not like the old days where people drove around with their windows down and exposed to their surroundings. With the windows up, A/C on and stereo blasting in my Lexus, the outside world could conceivably not exist. As a rider, I have trained myself for when I drive to exercise extra caution constantly looking for and listening for motorcycles and driving in accordance with how I would hope all drivers would do around me when on my bikes.

What I see though are far too many riders who do not do the same when on their bikes. The reality is there are a lot of bad riders out there so if they feel a loud bike helps protect them, maybe it does, or maybe it makes them less cautious, can't answer for that. But if it does keep them from becoming a victim of some inattentive driver reading a text while driving or fiddling with the info system in their car, I guess that could be considered a good thing. As I think we have all been there I will quote Srinath on this "Nothing but sound saved me and someone from me". As a preference I don't necessarily promote the concept of "Loud Pipes, Save Lives", I prefer "Ride Loud, Ride Safe".

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 05/13/20 at 12:42:45

Grin

I happen to prefer a bit on the loud side. But not obnoxious.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #23 - 05/13/20 at 13:52:12

Hopefully we have come to a cease fire in the ''LOUD PIPES WAR, without bloodshed!
Everyone rides a little differently, and has different likes & dislikes. (that is why they make more than one motorcycle )

IP Logged
Nickjwill
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/13/20 at 14:57:59

The Dyna on mine sounds just right

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #25 - 05/13/20 at 15:20:40

SoC,  You provided the OP with a lot of great info, not apologies needed.  I just wanted to rant.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #26 - 05/14/20 at 15:36:04

In my observations of riders in my local area I've noticed that those with the loudest pipes ride the least. So for them the loud pipe may benefit their lifespan because they spend less time actually riding and negotiating traffic. It's not that the loudness is unbearable to them because they all wear hearing protection. It's that they're only out there for purely narcissistic reasons. Look at me, rev, look at me, rev, look at me rev, rev. After a few laps of the neighborhood they park at a bar and sit on their bikes outside until they've formed a little sewing circle.

IMHO it's the same exact mentality as a 5 year old with a box of snaps throwing them at everyone in throwing distance to get attention. In fact I think all the Harley guys in my neighborhood rev, rev, revving away obnoxiously at the traffic light on my corner would probably be just as happy with a box of snaps as the average 5 y/o. Snaps cost much less than motorcycles and insurance too. For a mere fraction of the cost of motorcycle ownership they could invest in a lifetime supply of snaps and happily obnoxiously seek the attention of grownups until they are in a wheelchair outside of a nursing home participating in actual sewing circle  Cheesy

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #27 - 05/14/20 at 17:09:16

philthymike wrote on 05/14/20 at 15:36:04:
In my observations of riders in my local area I've noticed that those with the loudest pipes ride the least. So for them the loud pipe may benefit their lifespan because they spend less time actually riding and negotiating traffic. It's not that the loudness is unbearable to them because they all wear hearing protection. It's that they're only out there for purely narcissistic reasons. Look at me, rev, look at me, rev, look at me rev, rev. After a few laps of the neighborhood they park at a bar and sit on their bikes outside until they've formed a little sewing circle.

IMHO it's the same exact mentality as a 5 year old with a box of snaps throwing them at everyone in throwing distance to get attention. In fact I think all the Harley guys in my neighborhood rev, rev, revving away obnoxiously at the traffic light on my corner would probably be just as happy with a box of snaps as the average 5 y/o. Snaps cost much less than motorcycles and insurance too. For a mere fraction of the cost of motorcycle ownership they could invest in a lifetime supply of snaps and happily obnoxiously seek the attention of grownups until they are in a wheelchair outside of a nursing home participating in actual sewing circle  Cheesy

many years ago there was a guy at a house down the street who thought the intersection by my house was his personal drag strip for his loud Sportster. So I took my Benelli Barracuda with it open megaphone exuast and rode by his house making sure that I only opened up the bike at his property line.  
He eventually stopped... Smiley

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #28 - 05/14/20 at 19:26:59

Matchless G11 wrote on 05/14/20 at 17:09:16:
philthymike wrote on 05/14/20 at 15:36:04:

many years ago there was a guy at a house down the street who thought the intersection by my house was his personal drag strip for his loud Sportster. So I took my Benelli Barracuda with it open megaphone exuast and rode by his house making sure that I only opened up the bike at his property line.  
He eventually stopped... Smiley

About a mile from my house there's a street that runs between two office parks and happens to be a shortcut for me on my commute home that avoids 3 or 4 traffic lights. Each day I rode my Ducati to work I would really open her up on that street because it's long and straight with no intersections and nothing but offices. And when I crank up the Duck she lets an unholy roaring howl usually only heard on the highway. One thing I never paid much attention to was those 3 little houses on that street just before the office parks. Turns out one of those houses belongs to a local cop.
Oops.
Yeah, he started waiting for me each day and trying to speedtrap my tushy. My reflexes and situational awareness frustrated him so he just started following me home. Finally one day he made it clear he didn't appreciate my howling passed his house every evening.
If he was a prick he could have given me a real hard time. I do the speed limit on that street now.
Sometimes you just attract the wrong kind of attention.

I should point out that my Duck has the stock muffler. But there's a servo valve built into the exhaust. At low RPM it restricts the sound pressure so the bike will pass noise regulations. When you hit it the valve opens all the way and sound pressure goes way up.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #29 - 05/15/20 at 06:44:53

The OP, Jasongibby94, has not been back since declaring that we aren't "actual" riders since some us don't like to make a lot of noise. I can clearly see how making a lot of noise is the very essence of motorcycling, just as smoking is the very essence of breathing. It all goes together, don't you see.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 15:19:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thoughts on after market muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!