My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: 240 rear build
Reply #2 - 05/02/20 at 08:17:17

Ooooo What tank ? One of em ebay CG125 ones ?
Did you have to mod the frame or something to not let the FE hit the tank ?
What GSXR ? Looks like 96-2000 750 from my memory LOL.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Buttsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/02/20 at 10:36:35

The swingarm was done for me. Widened to suit wheel and had it extended by 100mm. The tank is my old savage tank that im now using as a mock up tank. I initially filled the hole where the speedo was but managed to get a brand new tank for £70 so using that instead and leaving the speedo where it is, but no mods to the frame apart from where the seat is. And its a K1 750 gsxr front with custom yokes with increased depth to push the forks and wheel out a bit further.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 05/02/20 at 10:52:19

So what’s the plan for lining up the rear pulley to the counter-shaft pulley?  What is that wheel from?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #5 - 05/02/20 at 17:21:02

I wonder if the 650 will be able to turn that big fat tire  Angry

IP Logged
Buttsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/02/20 at 22:51:09

The wheel, axle, pulley and caliper is from a 2018 FLFBS Harley Fatboy that was written off. I paid appx £650 for the parts and to have the swingarm altered and powder coated.
Apparently I have options with the front pulley. I can either get the stock pulley for the harley fatboy and have a spacer and shaft made to suit, or have a custom pulley made that fits the stock shaft and wide enough to line up with the rear pulley. That will be decided by the gentleman who'll be making whatever he thinks works best. My tiny little brain isnt equipped for the clever jobs!!
I wondered about the 650 not having enough power to move the tyre but do have the mikuni roundslide carb and will be following the advice here on getting a few extra bhp with that and the ufo etc so hoping its enough, but im happy riding slow as my other bike (intruder M800) has all the power i need for everyday riding. I know putting a 240 on has been done before, so time will tell and i'll keep you posted.
Its taken me a year just to get to this point as its being done as and when i can afford to do it and is more hassle than the worth of it but i'll try and give an idea of what its all cost at the end.....incase in the very unlikely event that someone else wants to do it. Lol.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/03/20 at 07:02:41

The stock savage rear wheel aint no light weight.
A HD solid wheel - likely still heavier - but if you end up with a bike that's 100 lb lighter which is easy IMHO the extra rotational energy wont be a big deal.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 05/03/20 at 10:19:13

Srinath, it is far easier for the engine to propel 100 pounds (like a heavy rider) than it is to accelerate rotational mass (I’m not going to break out my physics books to prove it). That rear wheel assembly probably weighs double what a stock real wheel assembly weighs. It will make a significant impact on performance. Buttsy has indicated that’s he’s happy to make that trade, but there’s no even exchange here.

IP Logged
Buttsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/03/20 at 11:25:03

All input is not just welcome its very much needed and will be taken on board. This is just a bit of fun and a distraction and will probably be a very impractical and slightly uncomfortable ride that i'll only use for the odd few hours on a sunny sunday afternoon.....and we dont get too many of those here in Wales, so performance and handling (providing its safe of course) is definitely not at the top of the list.

Next job, extend the shock mounts.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 05/03/20 at 11:42:00

Yeah, I’m not trying to rain on the parade here. This bike looks like it will be a blast to ride and be seen on. Just don’t race for titles on it (maybe a Monkey bike). I love your vision for this build.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 05/03/20 at 12:56:14

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/03/20 at 10:19:13:
Srinath, it is far easier for the engine to propel 100 pounds (like a heavy rider) than it is to accelerate rotational mass (I’m not going to break out my physics books to prove it). That rear wheel assembly probably weighs double what a stock real wheel assembly weighs. It will make a significant impact on performance. Buttsy has indicated that’s he’s happy to make that trade, but there’s no even exchange here.

That's why they have lower gears and those disc rear wheels - I've seen people drill big holes in them - though balancing turns out to be a problem if they don't do it right.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Buttsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/03/20 at 12:58:50

I love these forums theyre great and the members are always helpful with such impressive knowledge of bikes and engineering in general, so im just grateful to be part of it. I'll keep posting as I progress and thank you for taking the time to comment and share, its much appreciated.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #13 - 05/03/20 at 13:35:00

How much offset will be required on the drive pulley to align with the rear pulley? I don't know the specifics on the output shaft and accompanying bearings of a Savage. But, I sometimes worry about the forces applied with excessive overhang on a shaft. Especially given the tension required on a belt drive.

To our resident Savage gurus, is the output shaft up to the task.

IP Logged
Buttsy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/04/20 at 01:34:18

Surprisingly the offset isnt as big as you may think. From the centre of the tyre to the outside of the rear pulley is appx 130mm on the savage and appx 165mm on the harley. The pulleys on the savage are almost 20mm wider than the harley ones.

After just picking up the savage wheel which is still whole, brake hub, axle etc theres not that much of a weight difference either. I'll get hold of a weighing scale to get a more accurate reading.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 22:52:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 240 rear build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.